• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I just bought a Henry All Weather lever gun in38spl, unboxed it, loaded it with 130 grain steel-cased Tula that I run through my S&W 38spl, and headed out to the backyard range. I ran ten rounds through it without trouble. I was dinging 6" steel targets at 100 yards out of the box, which is pretty good given the state of my eyes as I get older. I reloaded, popped off another 8 rounds and then the gun stopped cycling. It fired just fine, but the lever stops moving once it engages the bolt. The bolt appears to move back a couple ten thousandths of an inch, but no further.

I went back to the box, found the manual, and read through it to see if there was some secret I was missing. And that's when I saw in the AMMO section it says only use 357mag or 158gr 38spl that closely mimics the 357 Magnum cartridge. But here's the strange part: "Due to the shoulder location on the carrier, the gun will not feed: 110GR, 125GR, 130GF, etc. .38 special loads reliably."

I'm not having a feed problem. It was feeding just fine. I'm having an extraction problem.

The manual say DO NOT run aluminum ammo through it, but it's silent on steel.

Thoughts?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've had trouble with Wolf steel cases getting stuck or sometimes not even seating all the way in my USP45. In my situation, I'm pretty sure it's from the lacquer (on the outside of the case to prevent rust), specifically the red band between the case and the bullet, where my .45 was trying to headspace.

That's my story :shrug:

It could be that you are getting lacquer build up in the chamber, making it tighter and sticky.

Somebody once told me to only shoot Commie ammo out of Commie guns.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Art3 hit it on the head.
    Difficult extraction with steel cases seems to vary with different rifles and brands of ammo.
    This is a common discussion in many .223 and 7.62 x 39 ARs, especially after firing a number of rounds successfully.
    People argue it for pages on forums without ever examining the rifle shooting the rounds in question. Hey! It happened to you, it's not open to theoretical discussion, you want a solution.
    You can clean the chamber after a few rounds or stick to brass case ammo. I only shoot lacquered or coated steel cases in my AK and a surplus Mauser bolt gun because of this sticking issue.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    Somebody once told me to only shoot Commie ammo out of Commie guns.
    See, but that's the thing...

Henry Repeating Arms are made in America, but they're headquartered in NJ, and my All-Weather was made in Wisconsin. I figured it'd love commie ammo. :party29:

HEY!!! Maybe this is a new feature! They don't have to ban guns if the manufacturers just make 'em so they don't shoot! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom