• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    This may have been during the Obama era but I vaguely remember something about the ATF was proposing a change or going after dealers for modifying already produced firearms and offering for sale but didn't have a 07 manufacturers.

Does this ring a bell?

Currently for Maryland, can any dealer modify a firearm for compliance and offer it for sale? Example - A semi-auto rifle that from the factory includes a folding stock and a flash hider, failing two feature copy-cat, and the dealer replaces the folding stock with a fixed one.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think Troy and a few others already make a pump action "AR". Completely legal. You could probably fidget with the bolt and charging handle, but pump action is a better solution.

If you want a pump action .223, buy it. Or 7.62x39. Or whatever floats your boat.

ETA: Troy also makes a straight pull rifle: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/50-state-legal-side-charging-troy/

Cycled with the charging handle. MD legal.

I have been thinking about getting a Troy PAR. My buddy has one and loves it. He even ran a 3 gun course with it for fun, and did ok. I am seriously considering one or two as a back up.

I also have been coming up with a few other ideas for the worst case scenario should another assault weapons ban happen.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think the key thing here is that while you could use the "non-semi-auto" move to get guns you could not otherwise, they have to stay non-semi-auto in order for you to keep possessing them. Much as I'd like an original Uzi pistol, I don't know that a single-shot pistol would be worthwhile to me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It would work, but you have to keep it manually operated inside MD.

But with an AR, have an upper without a gas port in the barrel. Not missing a part, but still not semi auto.

Hmmmm, this would allow me to make and own an A1 pattern AR to round out the collection.........

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Removing and replacing the gas tube on an AR is a big deal.

And you end up with a really awkward straight pull bolt gun, awkward because your nose is in the way of the charging handle.

Removing the gas plug on a Garand takes maybe 30 seconds, using only a big screwdriver/combo tool/or gas plug wrench. You can do it right on the firing line, and switch back just as easily. No need for a vise and special wrenches. And the Garand would make an ergonomically handy straight-pull. No need to disturb your cheek weld. I've never bothered to do it though.

Does the OP think there's a legal advantage? I suspect he's looking to a day when semi-autos are banned, thinking he can have an imitation AR. Or he's thinking of dealers selling ARs with no gas tube, with a view to buyers illegally installing gas tubes at home.

I think that's what he's really on about.

IMHO I am no weakling and maybe my Garand has a much stiffer boot than most (it’s been a few years since I’ve shot someone else’s), but I really doubt I could run the charging handle without breaking a cheek weld on my Garand. Too awkward if an angle with too much force involved. My M1 Carbine, sure.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    IMHO I am no weakling and maybe my Garand has a much stiffer boot than most (it’s been a few years since I’ve shot someone else’s), but I really doubt I could run the charging handle without breaking a cheek weld on my Garand. Too awkward if an angle with too much force involved. My M1 Carbine, sure.

Ha ha! You're probably right. I never saw the point of trying. (By the way, rather than simply pull the gas plug, better to replace it with an adjustable plug and open it up.)

But even if you broke your cheek weld a bit, it certainly would be easy to run a Garand that way. It would be physically impossible to run an AR with its awkwardly placed charging handle.

My point was that an AR would be about my very last choice for conversion to a manual straight pull, because of its bizarre CH placement.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    This thread has been derailed...

Happens...
    train-derailment2.jpg

Eventually it will come back around.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I know someone in PA that does this very type of custom work... primarily well because he lives in proximity to NY, and you cant use a semi auto for hunting in PA. But he is a stickler for accuracy and is an accomplished gifted machinist.

Look up JEDarms on facebook for his work.

https://www.facebook.com/jedarms/

P.S. He's a really nice guy i would like to put him and Clandestine in a room so they can spew copious amounts of AR knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom