• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm looking for some less-noisy 12 gauge ammo. A few nights ago I came home to 4 raccoons in my chicken coop. No damage was done to livestock, but there are four less raccoons in the 'hood. Anyways, the only open box of ammo I had was 1350fps Nitro rounds, and the neighbors heard all of the commotion. I'd like to minimize that in the future.

Is there a round that maybe has a little less powder that I can use for dispatching critters, and impact my neighbors a little less?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    For raccoons, up close and personal like that? A .22, and suppressed if you have the toys.

For trapped animals I would agree. But animals that aren't stuck in a 1'x2' space and are aware that you are trying to kill them, you need some spread on the shot.

These four scurried up a tree. I tried to whack them with my pellet gun, but it wasn't getting penetration through the branches. Had to break out the big gun. If I had a .410 I would have grabbed that. Maybe this is an excuse to get another gun :brows:

Normally I crack unknowing critters with the .22, but it wasn't going to work in this case.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    aguilla minis, relatively quiet out of a manual action with long barrels, I'll use them if it's something too big for 22CBs, although they are still "gunshot loud"

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Ah. I was picturing “in the chicken coop,” not Tarzan mode. Definitely better not to lob even small rifle rounds up like that.

So, yes ... new gun! Maybe a S&W Governor. So you can use .45LC or 410?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , there are low recoil/ low noise shot shells . BUT they are aiming for ( pun is unintended by product ) youth/ novice clay ( generic ) shooters, and have small shot .

More so than trying to save a few cents more high volume reloading , this is where loading your own can get you somthing uniquely suited for your needs, not readily available . Somthing like 7/8oz of lead #2 @ 1090 fps

For trapped animals I would agree. But animals that aren't stuck in a 1'x2' space and are aware that you are trying to kill them, you need some spread on the shot.

These four scurried up a tree. I tried to whack them with my pellet gun, but it wasn't getting penetration through the branches. Had to break out the big gun. If I had a .410 I would have grabbed that. Maybe this is an excuse to get another gun :brows:

Normally I crack unknowing critters with the .22, but it wasn't going to work in this case.

You answered your own question.:D

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    They're about as loud as AA low recoil/low noise shells. And dirty. And they don't cycle through most shotguns. They worked great out of my coach gun and my Superposeds.

We did a video testing the mini shells, and yeah they dont cycle in many guns. If you own a mossberg 500, 590, 590a1 or Maverick 88 the OPSol mini clip will cycle them 100%

Attachments

• 4B38C8D5-9855-4BDB-A9E7-C803C0A66297.jpg
      4B38C8D5-9855-4BDB-A9E7-C803C0A66297.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 222

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Roll your own. With or without a press, loading 12 gauge is pretty easy and the variety of loads you can produce is pretty much up to your imagination and the type of shotgun you are loading for.

Single shot break actions can easily take short shells and you can shorten the shell to whatever length you need for your wad of choice. Most pistol powder will run in a shotgun, but I tend to stay with Red Dot/Promo because it is inexpensive. In a pinch, you can work up black powder loads. Obviously you can get quieter rounds with less powder and shorter range. Depending on what you are trying to do with the rounds, you can drive off, scare off, piss off, or kill just about anything in a 30 yard (or well illuminated flashlight) distance. Cut shells, bird shot, tacks, wax and sand slugs, glass marbles, etc... Stick to things softer than your steel barrel and pattern some loads to see what does what you want.

Be safe.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Roll your own. With or without a press, loading 12 gauge is pretty easy and the variety of loads you can produce is pretty much up to your imagination and the type of shotgun you are loading for.

Single shot break actions can easily take short shells and you can shorten the shell to whatever length you need for your wad of choice. Most pistol powder will run in a shotgun, but I tend to stay with Red Dot/Promo because it is inexpensive. In a pinch, you can work up black powder loads. Obviously you can get quieter rounds with less powder and shorter range. Depending on what you are trying to do with the rounds, you can drive off, scare off, piss off, or kill just about anything in a 30 yard (or well illuminated flashlight) distance. Cut shells, bird shot, tacks, wax and sand slugs, glass marbles, etc... Stick to things softer than your steel barrel and pattern some loads to see what does what you want.

Be safe.
    a neighbor has 12ga loading equipment, maybe I will load a few light loads

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I load 1 1/8 oz 1,200 fps loads all the time and they are my main clays load. I also have 1 1/8 oz loads in 1,350 fps. Pretty sure that the 1,200 fps loads would wake up the neighbors in the middle of the night. This might be an exercise in futility.

I did not click on the link for the $2 shells, but if they work, I would buy them. $2 a round isn't all that expensive if you only use them to dispatch raccoons and other chicken eaters at night. Heck, I use $2 a round for deer and $3 a round for geese. How many raccoons could you possibly be shooting in a year? Sounds like you took out the entire neighborhood family of raccoons by dispatching those 4.

I have killed raccoons just fine with #7.5 shot in target loads out to about 30 yards. They aren't really that large of a body. Optimal shot size for them might be #4 or #5 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom