• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronbloyer

Jun 13, 2019
    So I finally recieved my MD CCW. Took 92 days total. Yes you can email them with your ID and get a status check. Those of you that say it doesn't work, maybe you weren't being polite?? I dont know. Anyway I wanted to hear what you think about my restrictions:
    "Valid between residence and work while engaged in any on-site or off-site business activity for MyBPM, LLC" (MD ONLY)

As a property manager I can be "working" 24/7.

What are your guys thoughts on an appeal?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So I finally recieved my MD CCW. Took 92 days total. Yes you can email them with your ID and get a status check. Those of you that say it doesn't work, maybe you weren't being polite?? I dont know. Anyway I wanted to hear what you think about my restrictions:
    "Valid between residence and work while engaged in any on-site or off-site business activity for MyBPM, LLC" (MD ONLY)

I would.

The issue of violating 5th Amendment rights at roadside with the police questioning whether you are operating within your restrictions is a serious matter, and can put you in a situation where you might lose your 2A rights forever.

Join MSI. They can help you craft a response for the hearing.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Based on an informal off the record conversation with someone at MSP: You determine when you are working.

I'm a real estate agent, and I carry nearly all the time - because I could easily make the case that I'm operating within my restrictions all the time. I stand next to and talk to police officers pretty often - not once has any of them noticed I'm carrying. I'm not telling them I have a gun until they tell me to get out of the car. Only other chance they'll know is if I had to use the gun, if that happens, I've got more important things to worry about than my restrictions, right?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Did you Join Maryland Shall Issue yet???

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Based on an informal off the record conversation with someone at MSP: You determine when you are working.

I'm a real estate agent, and I carry nearly all the time - because I could easily make the case that I'm operating within my restrictions all the time. I stand next to and talk to police officers pretty often - not once has any of them noticed I'm carrying. I'm not telling them I have a gun until they tell me to get out of the car. Only other chance they'll know is if I had to use the gun, if that happens, I've got more important things to worry about than my restrictions, right?

It's not really off the record, the MSP have testified, under oath, many times at the HPRB that they have no idea what your business is or if and when you are conducting it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a mobile ammo business, if I’m carrying I’m transporting ammo (I sell 8 rounds of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense 115g JHP plus a Glock 43 magazine for $500). Therefore I’m always within my restrictions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - Yes, that is the typical language currently, and in recent past .

Ramble #2 - A year ago the default recommendations would have been to request modification, and then appeal after MSP automatically demures .

But that was then . As of today , the OAH is still feeling its way , and the latest edition of HPRB is a complete unknown . So Quen Sabe ?

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Congratulations on getting your MD CCW. I know that I'll never get one so I am happy that at least someone else was successful in getting one!

Cal68

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md

Congratulations.

I wonder what happens if you are forced to defend yourself/family while eating dinner at a restaurant. I'm fairly sure the 'powers that be' will determine you were not "engaged in any on-site or off-site business activity for MyBPM, LLC"

The Free State indeed. :sad20:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Congratulations.

I wonder what happens if you are forced to defend yourself/family while eating dinner at a restaurant. I'm fairly sure the 'powers that be' will determine you were not "engaged in any on-site or off-site business activity for MyBPM, LLC"

The Free State indeed. :sad20:

He stopped for a brief meal on his way to the ATM to deposit $20 that he obtained while doing business as MyBPM, LLC.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It isn't too hard to make sure that some aspect of your business leaves you to "on call" 24x7. Carry a business credit card, carry your phone, carry your business cards, done. These days, your phone is your mobile office, and your responsibilities to field emails, social media contacts, and to manage/monitor your bank account(s) and web site, etc., are a full-time activity with events that can crop up at any time.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m out to lunch now, I had some transactions including stopping at the bank before. As I’m typing this I'm posting here and texting customers. Am I not within my restrictions? I’m comfortable that I am.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    That's his story, and he's sticking to it .
    :lol:

:thumbsup:

It isn't too hard to make sure that some aspect of your business leaves you to "on call" 24x7. Carry a business credit card, carry your phone, carry your business cards, done. These days, your phone is your mobile office, and your responsibilities to field emails, social media contacts, and to manage/monitor your bank account(s) and web site, etc., are a full-time activity with events that can crop up at any time.
    True.

However getting pinched by Tommy Trooper/John Law (who couldn't care less about your claim of being "on call"), having to spend much money (and perhaps recouping the money after a lawsuit) to clear yourself, and the misery involved, makes the entire process a giant sh*t-show.

I hope all of MDS has a safe, and happy July 4th holiday! :party29:

I’m out to lunch now, I had some transactions including stopping at the bank before. As I’m typing this I'm posting here and texting customers. Am I not within my restrictions? I’m comfortable that I am.

And that is all that matters.

I honestly hope no LEO pinches you, and you must go through hell to clear yourself.

I am NOT attacking you.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    True.

However getting pinched by Tommy Trooper/John Law (who couldn't care less about your claim of being "on call"), having to spend much money (and perhaps recouping the money after a lawsuit) to clear yourself, and the misery involved, makes the entire process a giant sh*t-show.

Yes! And that exact concern is why I went to the trouble to get my restrictions lifted. I have every expectation what when I renew in February, they'll slap them right back on, and I'll have to do the same dance, with the added pain, expense, and likely failure of having to then take it to the OAH.

But I truly am on call with the need to divert physically to a sensitive location to deal with operational systems at any time of the day or night, whether or not I'm out to dinner with Mrs. Occam or trying to find some fresh asparagus or the right bottle of bourbon or a pair of socks. That doesn't mean every cop in the dozens of MD agencies/jurisdictions would see it my way. But I can make the case with confidence when my no-restrictions permit inevitably devolves back into having restrictions courtesy of the MSP.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Should put together a network of statewide permit and business owners I know I have done business with members here and business owners a 27/7 operation.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Yes! And that exact concern is why I went to the trouble to get my restrictions lifted. I have every expectation what when I renew in February, they'll slap them right back on, and I'll have to do the same dance, with the added pain, expense, and likely failure of having to then take it to the OAH.

But I truly am on call with the need to divert physically to a sensitive location to deal with operational systems at any time of the day or night, whether or not I'm out to dinner with Mrs. Occam or trying to find some fresh asparagus or the right bottle of bourbon or a pair of socks. That doesn't mean every cop in the dozens of MD agencies/jurisdictions would see it my way. But I can make the case with confidence when my no-restrictions permit inevitably devolves back into having restrictions courtesy of the MSP.

I should see about having my restrictions lifted, it would be a shit show if I was held up at gunpoint and forced to access my storage facility and not have the ability to defend against it flooding the streets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom