• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    When I go to VA from MD (and back) with scary rifles, I avoid DC. I remember a situation several years ago where a serviceman was transporting his collection home through DC and got stopped there. Law enforcement seized his firearms, including scary rifles, and he ended up needing legal assistance to gain their rightful return. I think the legal work was done pro bono, but still, I think it took him 2 years to get them all back. My memory of this is vague, so feel free to do your own research. I'm sure others here will correct my memory too. Still, I do not roll the dice with DC in the mix.

This is the story. I can't believe it's been 7 years. Title 18 sec. 926a of the United States Code (added by FOPA) didn't help this guy as he went through DC.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2012/...-d-c-police-and-he-cant-seem-to-get-them-back

https://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/may/14/miller-injured-vets-guns-stolen-dc/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/14/miller-house-passes-resolution-exempt-military-dc-/

DavidMS

Feb 23, 2013
    Fairfax VA
    Thank you all for the advice. I will continue to avoid going to ranges in MD. Its simply a much less permissive environment. Going to Richmond for lobby day on the 9th to keep things this way.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    I'd like to go to the range also..just has no way to travel since my Jeep is parked in the driveway back in New Zealand.I'm staying in Falls Church,Va. until the end of 2019.

Well you can just open carry yours walking on the way to range

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Eventually they won't go to the Clink . BUT NJ will still arrest them, and prosecute them , and they will eventually assert their Affirmative Defense at their trial .

Meanwhile be locked up , spend $ for Bail , spend $$ for Lawyer , spend time both for initial arrest and court appearances , possibly face suspension from job for duration of proceedings .

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Eventually they won't go to the Clink . BUT NJ will still arrest them, and prosecute them , and they will eventually assert their Affirmative Defense at their trial .

Meanwhile be locked up , spend $ for Bail , spend $$ for Lawyer , spend time both for initial arrest and court appearances , possibly face suspension from job for duration of proceedings .

Trust me, it would never get to trial. I’d like to see a case where it did.

The fact is, and the point I made above, is that FOPA does indeed override state law.

If you’re going to be traveling across state lines, print and keep a copy of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom