• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Giffords brief is terrible. They repeat an argument rejected by the court per curium in Caetano, and are basically looking to overturn Chicago v McDonald with their states rights argument, nevermind the fact that the court very recently referred to McDonald as good law.

Their brief is so bad I doubt even the minority dissent will pay it much attention.

But I am thankful that they wasted their donors money on such a bad brief. I hope that they wasted all of it and they have no more money.

giphy.gif

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Three more amicus briefs.

Gun Owners of America, Inc., Gun Owners Foundation, The Heller Foundation, Tennessee Firearms Association, Conservative Legal Defense and Education Fund, and Restoring Liberty Action Committee http://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/99694/20190514150241934_NYSRP Amicus Brief.pdf

Cato Institute, http://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/99700/20190514151205685_NYS Rifle Pistol merits.pdf

Bradley Byrne and 119 Additional Memb ers of the United States House of Representatives, http://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/99704/20190514154404876_18-280 Amicus Brief.pdf

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I'm enjoying the US brief, the Solicitor General's office thoroughly tells NYC where to stick their transport ban.

"SUMMARY OF ARGUMENT
    I. New York City’s transport ban infringes the right
    to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Second and
    Fourteenth Amendments."

"Few laws in the history of
    our Nation, or even in contemporary times, have come
    close to such a sweeping prohibition on the transporta-
    tion of arms. And on some of the rare occasions in the
    19th and 20th centuries when state and local govern-
    ments have adopted such prohibitions, state courts have
    struck them down. That is enough to establish that the
    transport ban is unconstitutional."

"In Heller, this Court explained that the Second
    Amendment guarantees “the individual right to possess
    and carry weapons in case of confrontation,” without
    suggesting that the guarantee is limited to the home."

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I'll be pleasantly entertained if this ushers in national reciprocity in some sort of way that its opponents begrudgingly vote for it to avoid country wide constitutional carry.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Constitutional carry was on my mind when I read Clement's opening brief with how he harped on NYC's $340 fee vs $5 fees previously disallowed by the SC.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I wonder did 2ca rule the way they did because they knew the law violated the US Constitution but they do not want to take the blame for ruling that it violated the constitution? In their minds let SCOTUS take the hit instead of us that way we do not have to deal with the sh** storm that will be caused by NYC and Bloomturd ??

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    I wonder did 2ca rule the way they did because they knew the law violated the US Constitution but they do not want to take the blame for ruling that it violated the constitution? In their minds let SCOTUS take the hit instead of us that way we do not have to deal with the sh** storm that will be caused by NYC and Bloomturd ??

Probably not.

They were counting on SCOTUS not taking the case. It was an obscure little law that did not effect many people.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Amicus brief of Patrick J. Charles submitted.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/99640/20190514123434398_Charles Brief.pdf

This amicus curiae brief is submitted on behalf of historian Patrick J. Charles to inform the Court about the history of the laws governing the transportation and carrying of dangerous weapons from the thirteenth century through the twentieth century, while pointing out some of the pitfalls created by faulty scholarship in this area. Amicus curiae is the author of three books and more than twenty articles on the history of the Second Amendment, firearms and weapons laws, and the use of history as a jurisprudential tool.

Amicus curiae’s scholarship has been cited and relied upon by six Cir-cuit Courts of Appeals and by this Court in McDonald v. City of Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010). Amicus curiae currently serves as a Senior Historian for both the United States Air Force (USAF) and United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). The information and analysis contained herein are solely those of the amicus curiae, and not those of the USAF, US-SOCOM, or the Department of Defense.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Halbrook, an interesting tidbit on MD, why MD is one of the few states with no constitutional RKBA:

Opposition to extension of the arms right to freedmen was starkly illustrated in the Maryland constitutional convention of 1867, where a delegate proposed adding to the state bill of rights that “every citizen has the right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.” Phillip B. Perlman, Debates of the Maryland Constitutional Convention of 1867 at 150-51(1867). Another delegate moved to weaken that to refer only to “every white citizen,” while still another chimed in, “Every citizen of the State means every
    31white citizen, and none other.” Id. Given the opposition to recognizing a right of non-whites to bear arms, it was proposed that “the citizen shall not be deprived of the right to keep arms on his premises.” Id. That too was rejected

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...onal African American Gun Association Inc.pdf

MD remains backwards to this day, in so many ways.

Starquest88

Feb 26, 2019
    I'm enjoying the US brief, the Solicitor General's office thoroughly tells NYC where to stick their transport ban.

"SUMMARY OF ARGUMENT
    I. New York City’s transport ban infringes the right
    to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Second and
    Fourteenth Amendments."

"Few laws in the history of
    our Nation, or even in contemporary times, have come
    close to such a sweeping prohibition on the transporta-
    tion of arms. And on some of the rare occasions in the
    19th and 20th centuries when state and local govern-
    ments have adopted such prohibitions, state courts have
    struck them down. That is enough to establish that the
    transport ban is unconstitutional."

"In Heller, this Court explained that the Second
    Amendment guarantees “the individual right to possess
    and carry weapons in case of confrontation,” without
    suggesting that the guarantee is limited to the home."

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Solicitor General get involved in a positive way considering the fact that he's currently trying to uphold the NFA

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    I find several of the briefs disturbing in that they continue to use language like that found in the brief from the USG: "It applies regardless of the manner in which the owner carries the firearm—in fact, even if the owner unloads the firearm, locks it away, and keeps it separate from the ammunition. (USG amicus brief, pp 16 and other locations.)

I don't like that this language is included or given any sense of deference. It creeps towards normalization of a requirement that firearms must be transported only when unloaded, locked away and separate from ammunition. This "new" requirement is contrary to the intended purposes of bearing arms and to the definition of "to ... bear" in itself. It is NOT traditional, and it is not historically sound. At best it is a current anomaly in several of the states. I believe language like this represents an infringement that should be resisted and strongly so.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I find several of the briefs disturbing in that they continue to use language like that found in the brief from the USG: "It applies regardless of the manner in which the owner carries the firearm—in fact, even if the owner unloads the firearm, locks it away, and keeps it separate from the ammunition. (USG amicus brief, pp 16 and other locations.)

I don't like that this language is included or given any sense of deference. It creeps towards normalization of a requirement that firearms must be transported only when unloaded, locked away and separate from ammunition. This "new" requirement is contrary to the intended purposes of bearing arms and to the definition of "to ... bear" in itself. It is NOT traditional, and it is not historically sound. At best it is a current anomaly in several of the states. I believe language like this represents an infringement that should be resisted and strongly so.

I also noted the number of times that language was deployed, and have assumed there's a strategic reason - not clear to my layman's understanding - for doing so. I would hate for the SCOTUS to do the unthinkable, and somehow find that NYC's absurd law would be fine, as long as it's modified to require that all transport is done in that manner. Presumably, the reference to even that ultra-"safe" belt-and-suspenders way of transport being considered illegal is a rhetorical device meant to show that the law is preposterous, in its phony appeal to public safety.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think that is a misread of the USG brief. "Keep" arms includes the right to take it to other places where its lawful to possess.

I would not get hope's up for a broad ruling including "bear" or outside the home carry. I think that consistent with Robert's court, the opinion will be exceedingly narrow. An opinion confined to the facts of this case would not address outside the home self defense, and that's what I expect - a narrow opinion.

The USG brief is along the lines of what I expect. If the court addresses "bear" they will probably take Roger's v Grewal. The good news: I can see 9 justices signing on to the USG brief.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    I think that is a misread of the USG brief. "Keep" arms includes the right to take it to other places where its lawful to possess.

I would not get hope's up for a broad ruling including "bear" or outside the home carry. I think that consistent with Robert's court, the opinion will be exceedingly narrow. An opinion confined to the facts of this case would not address outside the home self defense, and that's what I expect - a narrow opinion.

The USG brief is along the lines of what I expect. If the court addresses "bear" they will probably take Roger's v Grewal. The good news: I can see 9 justices signing on to the USG brief.

Thanks, man. You're probably correct on the misreading of the brief. An attorney I ain't. I'm just concerned that the meaning of "bear" is starting to shift to become something wherein arms become unusable or inaccessible should they be required by the bearer.

Let's hope that we get a strong ruling in favor of the second amendment and civil rights in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom