• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Hoping to source a 14.0"-14.5" HBAR with mid-gas in NATO/Wylde. While I can find a fair amount of 16" barrels, a few being mid-gas, I was able to locate only one 14.5" HBAR (DEZ Arms) and it is carbine-gas. I'm told by one of the local smiths that White Oak offers 14" mid-gas but I didn't see it on their site. He also said the pricing was dear (over $300) and as this is for an experimental upper I'm targeting the budget parts bin.

Since I have a mid-gas preference the best option might be to simply buy a $60-$100 16"-18" mid-gas barrel then cut and thread. Probably a <$60 option, or, I'm betting my machinist friend could even enjoy the change of pace (and a six-pack).

The DEZ Arms 14.5" barrel I noted above was found in a 2016 thread from this forum. I was hoping additional budget options had entered this market since then.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Appreciate the reply Ranchero50.

While the SOCOM have a heavy "look" to them it's hit-n-miss with retailer website descriptions. I was under impression SOCOM was SOCOM but it's sometimes listed as medium contour and sometimes heavy contour. I doubt they're stamped HBAR.

I apologize to the rimfire guys here. Hope a mod transports this to the "rifles" forum soon.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt makes one...or did....don't know if it's still production now. It was a Davidson's special with a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached flash suppressor to bring it up to legal length. It's also MD compliant. I bought this one at the Frederick Gun Show last year.
    Colt-M4-FDE.jpg

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Colt makes one...or did....don't know if it's still production now. It was a Davidson's special with a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached flash suppressor to bring it up to legal length. It's also MD compliant. I bought this one at the Frederick Gun Show last year.

Thanks for the reply.

Sure like the clean "ready for business" look of that setup, much like what I'm putting together. Interesting though, I was also under impression the grenade launcher turn down negated use of those barrels (netting it a non-HBAR classification).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have one(DEZ). It might have been me in the aforementioned thread. :shrug:

Though it was marketed as Hbar, it was not stamped nor did my receipt say it was an Hbar. It didn't matter for me as it was going on a pre ban lower. Accuracy was meh.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I have the DEZ arms as well and had a headspacing issue. Was told that it is meant for precision and the chamber needs lapped and to only use match ammo. If I would have known that additional work would be needed I would’ve looked elsewhere.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have the DEZ arms as well and had a headspacing issue. Was told that it is meant for precision and the chamber needs lapped and to only use match ammo. If I would have known that additional work would be needed I would’ve looked elsewhere.

My DEZ was fine. No headspace problems, DEZ has slipped in the last few years and I no longer recommend them.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Appreciate the replies!

@outrider58
    Yup, that was you who mentioned DEZ Arms. What went south on that barrel? I saw a post where you praised it initially.

@Silverlax
    I wonder if that is a product of it being a Wylde chambered barrel?

@clandestine
    I have to locate and reread the MSP guidelines. Most of the 16" SOCOM are described by the retailers as medium profile while a few are described as heavy. As they are not likely to have HBAR stamped most of those website descriptions are nothing to fall back on. As for 14.5" SOCOM -- I've only seen the $350 Colt barrels listed as heavy (until just a few minutes ago! :-)).

As eluded to, I've just come across the following and, in blind faith, ordered one. AR15 BARREL 5.56 NATO 14.5IN HVY SOCOM NITRIDE 1:7 for $70! Picture definitely doesn't look like a heavy contour (more so government) but being USA made, nitride and mid-length gas for $70 has me giddy for this as a test barrel. I have no idea what "Original Equipment" means but, despite my observation of Colt being the only 14.5 heavy I can find, I still absolutely doubt these are Colt. NATO caliber (vs Wylde) could also be a plus for me, should make it more likely to cycle steel case. Being Sunday I figured buy now and this will give me a few hours to research and cancel if warranted.

*EDIT* -- If the barrel comes looking like the CDNN supplied pictures I've hopefully covered my rear by saving to HD the website page and, better yet, the invoice descriptor is exactly as in the link above.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Appreciate the replies!

@outrider58
    Yup, that was you who mentioned DEZ Arms. What went south on that barrel? I saw a post where you praised it initially.

@Silverlax
    I wonder if that is a product of it being a Wylde chambered barrel?

@clandestine
    I have to locate and reread the MSP guidelines. Most of the 16" SOCOM are described by the retailers as medium profile while a few are described as heavy. As they are not likely to have HBAR stamped most of those website descriptions are nothing to fall back on. As for 14.5" SOCOM -- I've only seen the $350 Colt barrels listed as heavy (until just a few minutes ago! :-)).

As eluded to, I've just come across the following and, in blind faith, ordered one. AR15 BARREL 5.56 NATO 14.5IN HVY SOCOM NITRIDE 1:7 for $70! Picture definitely doesn't look like a heavy contour (more so government) but being USA made, nitride and mid-length gas for $70 has me giddy for this as a test barrel. I have no idea what "Original Equipment" means but, despite my observation of Colt being the only 14.5 heavy I can find, I still absolutely doubt these are Colt. NATO caliber (vs Wylde) could also be a plus for me, should make it more likely to cycle steel case. Being Sunday I figured buy now and this will give me a few hours to research and cancel if warranted.

*EDIT* -- If the barrel comes looking like the CDNN supplied pictures I've hopefully covered my rear by saving to HD the website page and, better yet, the invoice descriptor is exactly as in the link above.

I still have one of their older barrels on another gun(which shoots fine) that I built some years ago. Since then, I've seen other people having problems with their barrels (mostly the headspace problems) and the company's responses. I found their solutions problematic.

I also found out that they were setting their barrel extensions prior to nitriting the barrels. I learned from clandestine that that also can be a future issue. So I look elsewhere for my barrels.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    I still have one of their older barrels on another gun(which shoots fine) that I built some years ago. Since then, I've seen other people having problems with their barrels (mostly the headspace problems) and the company's responses. I found their solutions problematic.

I also found out that they were setting their barrel extensions prior to nitriting the barrels. I learned from clandestine that that also can be a future issue. So I look elsewhere for my barrels.
    Interesting info about DEZ Arms. Will research that if need arises. I'm optimistic (shamefully so) but definitely not overly confident with regard to the no-name barrel I have coming from CDNN. Will be really interesting to see if I can determine source/manufacturer. I'm sure asking them would yield no concrete info.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    99% sure my 14.5” Spikes barrel was an HBAR and in CHF :)
    Appreciate the reply.

A quick look at Spikes and I see two 14.5" barrels. They currently list one as a "lightweight" (.625 gas seat) while the other is CHF with "optimal" profile (.750 gas seat). Very possible lack of sales eschewed current offering of HBAR? What's interesting is they're only offered in mid-length gas which is somewhat rarer in other brands. Also interesting is there looks to be a fair amount of material reduction from the gas block forward on the "lightweight" but it only lists a 0.2oz difference in weight.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    This could get interesting -- Although I've not seen it in the context of a government document I've seen cut-n-pastes, supposedly from supporting documents, that a barrel either has to be marked/stamped HBAR OR the barrel description upon sale had to designate it as an HBAR.

Now, the barrel I received from CDNN looks exactly like their website picture. The website and all literature provided with the barrel list it as a heavy barrel. When I called them to ask about manufacturer they first mentioned Ghost Armament (or Ghost Arms?) but then offered "it could be another as we source from a few USA manufacturers". Unfortunately the barrel provides no helpful indication.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Attachments

• barrel_01.jpg
      barrel_01.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 497
    • barrel_02.jpg
      barrel_02.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 516
    • barrel_03.jpg
      barrel_03.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 502

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    This could get interesting -- Although I've not seen it in the context of a government document I've seen cut-n-pastes, supposedly from supporting documents, that a barrel either has to be marked/stamped HBAR OR the barrel description upon sale had to designate it as an HBAR.

Now, the barrel I received from CDNN looks exactly like their website picture. The website and all literature provided with the barrel list it as a heavy barrel. When I called them to ask about manufacturer they first mentioned Ghost Armament (or Ghost Arms?) but then offered "it could be another as we source from a few USA manufacturers". Unfortunately the barrel provides no helpful indication.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

You're fine. The receipt that you show there has it advertised as "SOCOM HVY" so it's a Heavy barrel as advertised. You can hold on to that if you want the extra safety margin.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    You're fine. The receipt that you show there has it advertised as "SOCOM HVY" so it's a Heavy barrel as advertised. You can hold on to that if you want the extra safety margin.
    Yeah, I've got documentation out the wazoo. Still, probably not a bad thing either that I'm planning on plastic up front. Out-of-site and hopefully out-of-mind of those few (self appointed RO's) that feel the need to question any and every thing "they" deem inappropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom