Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Marketplace > Wanted to Buy
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2019, 08:49 PM #1
Bertfish's Avatar
Bertfish Bertfish is online now
Throw bread on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: White Marsh, MD
Posts: 6,257
Bertfish Bertfish is online now
Throw bread on me
Bertfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: White Marsh, MD
Posts: 6,257
Anyone have subsonic 5.56?

Does anyone have any subsonic 5.56 they'd want to part with reasonably and quickly?

Dad and I want to dial in his new White Oak barreled AR which I just had threaded for his suppressor. Going shooting next Thursday and I just thought about getting some subsonic 5.56. Worst case we dont have it and it's just a little louder...
__________________
National Rifle Association Life Member
MD Designated Collector
03FFL Holder

"Trust, but verify" - Ronald Reagan

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms" - Aristotle

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Do not wear blindfolds when a man a putting his anus on your wiener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
I prefer a small house on a lot of land. Keep your family close and everyone else far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepublicOfFranklin View Post
Socialism and individual liberty cannot exist in the same space.
Bertfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 09:03 PM #2
rsideout's Avatar
rsideout rsideout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD - Capital Region
Posts: 5,034
rsideout rsideout is offline
Member
rsideout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD - Capital Region
Posts: 5,034
I bought some years ago to try with some of my cans. It's quiet. But you basically have .22LR equivalent power for $1 per round.
rsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 09:04 PM #3
babalou's Avatar
babalou babalou is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Monkey County
Posts: 4,696
babalou babalou is offline
Senior Member
babalou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Monkey County
Posts: 4,696
PM Sent
babalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 09:15 PM #4
Bertfish's Avatar
Bertfish Bertfish is online now
Throw bread on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: White Marsh, MD
Posts: 6,257
Bertfish Bertfish is online now
Throw bread on me
Bertfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: White Marsh, MD
Posts: 6,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsideout View Post
I bought some years ago to try with some of my cans. It's quiet. But you basically have .22LR equivalent power for $1 per round.
Is making it subsonic really make it that weak of a round? I know 5.56 is fast, guess you really have to down load it a lot to get it slow enough.
__________________
National Rifle Association Life Member
MD Designated Collector
03FFL Holder

"Trust, but verify" - Ronald Reagan

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms" - Aristotle

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Do not wear blindfolds when a man a putting his anus on your wiener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
I prefer a small house on a lot of land. Keep your family close and everyone else far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepublicOfFranklin View Post
Socialism and individual liberty cannot exist in the same space.
Bertfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 09:33 PM #5
engineerbrian's Avatar
engineerbrian engineerbrian is online now
JMB fan club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 8,689
engineerbrian engineerbrian is online now
JMB fan club
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertfish View Post
Is making it subsonic really make it that weak of a round? I know 5.56 is fast, guess you really have to down load it a lot to get it slow enough.
There was a comparison video on youtube a few years back. Basically just shoot sub sonic 22lr. Its cheaper and easier to find.
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 09:45 PM #6
danb's Avatar
danb danb is offline
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,594
danb danb is offline
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertfish View Post
Is making it subsonic really make it that weak of a round? I know 5.56 is fast, guess you really have to down load it a lot to get it slow enough.
Basically, yes but sort of. Subsonic 22 is about 40 gr of lead at 1040 fps, about 100 ft lbs. Subsonic 223 is about 77gr (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016549622), but also at 1000 fps, so 180 fpe roughly.

No matter the subsonic round (22lr, 556, 9mm, 300blk) its only traveling at 1000-1050 fps to remain subsonic. So energy is all determined by bullet weight not velocity. A 147 gr (subsonic) 9mm basically has the same energy as a 150 gr .300 blackout subsonic. A 200gr subsonic .308 has the same energy as a 300gr subsonic .300blk. Big difference between subsonic cartridges is the size of the bullet you can get subsonic, not the speed. And oh yeah, the cost.

So subsonic .223 is glorified .22lr. Although it allows you to get a heavier bullet subsonic, at $1 per round.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 10:48 PM #7
fidelity's Avatar
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 17,681
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
fidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 17,681
Speaking of subsonic 22LR, there’s also a 60 gr option from Aguila ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506135961

Midway also had this 5.56 subsonic ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019570122

Free shipping for $50 and more with the coupon code at their website.
__________________
Post nubes, lux
fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 10:50 PM #8
engineerbrian's Avatar
engineerbrian engineerbrian is online now
JMB fan club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 8,689
engineerbrian engineerbrian is online now
JMB fan club
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Basically, yes but sort of. Subsonic 22 is about 40 gr of lead at 1040 fps, about 100 ft lbs. Subsonic 223 is about 77gr (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016549622), but also at 1000 fps, so 180 fpe roughly.

No matter the subsonic round (22lr, 556, 9mm, 300blk) its only traveling at 1000-1050 fps to remain subsonic. So energy is all determined by bullet weight not velocity. A 147 gr (subsonic) 9mm basically has the same energy as a 150 gr .300 blackout subsonic. A 200gr subsonic .308 has the same energy as a 300gr subsonic .300blk. Big difference between subsonic cartridges is the size of the bullet you can get subsonic, not the speed. And oh yeah, the cost.

So subsonic .223 is glorified .22lr. Although it allows you to get a heavier bullet subsonic, at $1 per round.
Thats basically what i was trying to say
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Marketplace > Wanted to Buy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service