• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I do a lot of my shooting at the NRA HQ range, so I was real disappointed when I saw tonight that they have now banned all steel-jacket ammo. Used to be you just couldn't shoot steel-core, but they've upped the ante due to their backstop being "old" and "not being able to take it". I don't even know where I can economically shoot my MSRs anymore around here; gonna have to brave the cold at AGC or make the trek to ESS or SEG, I suppose. :(

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I do a lot of my shooting at the NRA HQ range, so I was real disappointed when I saw tonight that they have now banned all steel-jacket ammo. Used to be you just couldn't shoot steel-core, but they've upped the ante due to their backstop being "old" and "not being able to take it". I don't even know where I can economically shoot my MSRs anymore around here; gonna have to brave the cold at AGC or make the trek to ESS or SEG, I suppose. :(

Really? I was just there 2 weeks ago and shot Tula through my M92 SBR.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Really? I was just there 2 weeks ago and shot Tula through my M92 SBR.
    Yes. I was sure to communicate to the RSO at the desk that this had a significant impact on me and others. I mean, the good news is, Tula seems to have recently released a non-magnetic line of ammo... the bad news is, I've got to buy it again. Looks like SGammo's gonna be getting a nice chunk of change in January from me. This may finally be the straw that forces me into bulk reloading rifle rounds.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    ....but they've upped the ante due to their backstop being "old" and "not being able to take it".

So, how does a steel case change how the lead bullet affects the backstop?

It would make more sense if they said they were tired of dealing with all of the spent casings that nobody wants.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    So, how does a steel case change how the lead bullet affects the backstop?

It would make more sense if they said they were tired of dealing with all of the spent casings that nobody wants.

The bullet jacket is steel. Casings don't matter. Bullet jacket hits the backstop causing more "dents" in the metal.

Q

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes. I was sure to communicate to the RSO at the desk that this had a significant impact on me and others. I mean, the good news is, Tula seems to have recently released a non-magnetic line of ammo... the bad news is, I've got to buy it again. Looks like SGammo's gonna be getting a nice chunk of change in January from me. This may finally be the straw that forces me into bulk reloading rifle rounds.

Looks like ESS will be getting more of my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    The bullet jacket is steel. Casings don't matter. Bullet jacket hits the backstop causing more "dents" in the metal.

Q

Ah... got it. I was thinking steel cased, when I was reading jacketed... thanks. That's what I get for trying to do anything cognitive before 0700.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Couple weeks ago they segregated lane 13 for 22LR only. Sounds like they're close to a full rehab.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I really like that range. I wish it had a branch in Annapolis. And Chevy Chase, for that matter.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Couple weeks ago they segregated lane 13 for 22LR only. Sounds like they're close to a full rehab.
    I was unaware of that, but I guess it makes sense.

The problem with ESS and SEG is that they're way out of the way for my commute home from Crystal City. The NRA range is vaguely justifiable in some sense, as it's not that far out of the way. The way this is going, I may need to start doing range days on Sunday mornings again. :P

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Better that than close down. One of the local indoor ranges had 1 or 2 lanes closed for like 6 months. When I got hit not once but twice with a 9mm ricochet in the same session, I stopped and said something to them. I even showed them the slug. The response was, oh we are waiting on parts for the backstop. The look on my face must have been priceless. They have repaired/replaces the bad areas as this was several years ago.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Are they reselling the brass there and just don’t want to sort it out?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Are they reselling the brass there and just don’t want to sort it out?
    They didn't ban steel-cased ammo, they banned steel-jacket. As long as it's not magnetic bullets, they don't care at all what the case is. Admittedly, banning steel-jacket does cut back on steel-case to a large extent, but they're allowing it.

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    The NRA range went down hill in the last 2 years. It used to be my favorite range to go to. They must of changed the management or something. The range officers used to be nice and didn't just yell at you for every single thing you do. Last time I went there, my friend had a Geissle 3 gun trigger in his ar15. He was doing double taps with it. A range officer came over at us yelling no full auto guns allowed. He yelled at us for a good 5 minutes. It took another range officer to finally make the guy understand it wasn't full auto.

The whole no bi jacketed ammo sealed the deal for me though. What are we supposed to do if we have any Russian caliber rifle? Pretty much all the ammo they make is bi metal jacketed. Yeah they have brass cased ammo but it's almost double or triple the price. Now I just go to Silver eagle or Elite shooting sports.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The whole no bi jacketed ammo sealed the deal for me though. What are we supposed to do if we have any Russian caliber rifle? Pretty much all the ammo they make is bi metal jacketed. Yeah they have brass cased ammo but it's almost double or triple the price. Now I just go to Silver eagle or Elite shooting sports.
    The ROs at the counter even brought that point up themselves when I mentioned how annoying this new change was, so I guess they just don't care. I have literally thousands of rounds of ammo I can no longer use over there, which is gonna make rifle classes a lot more expensive to take.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    If I'm remembering correctly SEG tried the same policy against steel jackets sometime last year but so many people complained that it only lasted a few weeks.....squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I've been to a few ranges with the magnet test. I recall Heritage does it, and a range that MDS members went to in the Baltimore area (can't recall name) did it as well. Anything NRA can do to thin the herd there is fine with me. The RSO's can get cranky at new shooters for sure. I'm sure the media would love any accident that happens there, so I kind of understand the intensity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom