• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Saw that linked off thegunfeed today.

In the age of demolished confidence in .gov, would there be any feeling of integrity remaining for scotus and the legislative branch if this is attempted?

Of maybe those that would do this wouldn’t give a hang, as long as it was a liberal/progress body?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    FDR tried it too. It's a blatant attempt at a power grab. Not much chance of this happening.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    There's about as much chance of getting more SCOTUS judges in today's political climate as my daughter asking me to take her to class in just a tiny speedo!

And no you freaks, that's not me!

pcoH4Gf.png

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Would they need a supermajority to get it through the Senate?
    NO. the supermajority is really only a gentleman agreement. They don't need presidential signing to adjust their own rules. And on scotus issues the supermajoriyt requirement has already been broken.

It is likely without strong GOP turnout the Dems will take the senate and wH in 2020.

They broadly view the appointment of Kavanaugh and especially of Gorsuch to be illegitimate. Not merely a political loss, but illegitimate.

If Thomas gets sick, and given his weight and other health factors his actuary table odds of lasting through a next Democratic administration are low not high, he certainly has a similar chance of dying in the next five or six years than Ginzburg has in the next they wont do it since they will be able to reverse or shred heller and all decision they don't like with their majority.

Otherwise they can do it and I think they will

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    There's about as much chance of getting more SCOTUS judges in today's political climate as my daughter asking me to take her to class in just a tiny speedo!

What? There is an excellent chance. "Todays political climate" , as in today's polling show a Democrat in the white house and a Democrat majority in the Senate in 2020 election so unless something serious happens that IS what we are looking at in January 2021.

Odds are very strong they will have a Democratic Senate, and unless we hod the white house to veto, then what "climate" would stop adding two to the court?? They only need 50 votes in the senate if they take the white house too.

The Democrats do not think the appointments of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh were merely major political losses, they frame them, especially Grosuch, as illegitimate.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    NO. the supermajority is really only a gentleman agreement. They don't need presidential signing to adjust their own rules. And on scotus issues the supermajoriyt requirement has already been broken.

It is likely without strong GOP turnout the Dems will take the senate and wH in 2020.

They broadly view the appointment of Kavanaugh and especially of Gorsuch to be illegitimate. Not merely a political loss, but illegitimate.

If Thomas gets sick, and given his weight and other health factors his actuary table odds of lasting through a next Democratic administration are low not high, he certainly has a similar chance of dying in the next five or six years than Ginzburg has in the next they wont do it since they will be able to reverse or shred heller and all decision they don't like with their majority.

Otherwise they can do it and I think they will

What? There is an excellent chance. "Todays political climate" , as in today's polling show a Democrat in the white house and a Democrat majority in the Senate in 2020 election so unless something serious happens that IS what we are looking at in January 2021.

Odds are very strong they will have a Democratic Senate, and unless we hod the white house to veto, then what "climate" would stop adding two to the court?? They only need 50 votes in the senate if they take the white house too.

The Democrats do not think the appointments of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh were merely major political losses, they frame them, especially Grosuch, as illegitimate.

You and I think alike. Not only do I think the Dems will control the House, Senate, and White House in 2020 I think they will absolutely alter the makeup of SCOTUS.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016

That's hardly "todays" political climate. If, if, more if, let's add some hope and change, and for good measures, add another shot of if. You can easily say if Republicans take back Congress with so many nut cases currently on the left and their Green New Deal disaster. Democrat Senate with Chuck Schumer, not likely. Republicans just increased their numbers a few months ago. I'd also bet big money that Trump will win in 2020, any takers?

With Trump as President and a Republican Senate, Congress won't give Trump more SCOTUS picks. I understand people wishing for their perfect storm but since the Judiciary Act of 1869, politicians have been scheming to gain an advantage on this many times and hasn't changed since. Our Founding Fathers were geniuses. Peace,

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    You and I think alike. Not only do I think the Dems will control the House, Senate, and White House in 2020 I think they will absolutely alter the makeup of SCOTUS.

Well hell, if you believe that then we should all just give up then.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Liberals in this country today no longer care what means they use to achieve their ends. For those that weren’t paying attention, look at the stuff that has happened since the Trump campaign. Even before they felt threatened, they implemented the “nuclear option” because they couldn’t get their way. Conservatives by their nature tend to protect the status quo, the constitution, liberals do not. They feel that whatever their mood or fad of the day, the laws, culture and constitution of the U.S. just need to get out of their way when they want something.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The media will continue to paint Trump as a racist, misogynist, xenophobe. They will lie and lie and lie about him while doing all they can to promote the Dem who runs against him. The House Dems will launch ludicrous investigations of Trump just to give the media anti-Trump sound bites and to keep the negativity on him through the election.

I think 2016 was a fluke, Trump got lucky that Hillary ran a bad campaign and had all the email and health stuff going on. Now the Dems and some Republicans are fired up anti-Trump and Trump's supporters are getting complacent. The Trump supporters sure didn't turn up to vote in the midterms. The Dems won't make the Hillary mistake again. Schultz staying in the race as an independent and stealing D votes is the only way Trump will win again, IMHO.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I wonder if anyone has had a conversation with Thomas about taking one for the team and resigning this year so Trump can appoint someone younger?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I wonder if anyone has had a conversation with Thomas about taking one for the team and resigning this year so Trump can appoint someone younger?
    I think we should start a letter writing campaign. Write Thomas, Rs in Congress, and the White House.

Maybe start a petition online that he would notice

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think we should start a letter writing campaign. Write Thomas, Rs in Congress, and the White House.

Maybe start a petition online that he would notice

If you think about it, the liberals are having daily strokes because of RBG's age and her decision not to go under Obama.

Lesson that should be learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom