• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brand new to the knife making hobby. Looking for a amateurs anvil to get started or ideas to make one at home. If you have one for sale at a amateur's price level couldn't hurt to throw it up or PM an offer. Personal experience and suggestions would be great, rather not go wrong right from the start. If you got them, show them, love to see your set up!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Hard to find a good one these days at a fair price it seems. Not sure where they all go/went.
    Many make a small one out of rail road track. However, need a source of track for that.
    May be worth it to hit some local scrap metal yards. Won't find an anvil but may find a start point, also can find some great material that way also! My brother has had great luck doing that. Again, need a little imagination; what looks like small pieces of Ti can be turned into neat bottle openers.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    They're on CL all the time. Keep an eye out. They are mostly priced about $6/lb. If you see one for $4/lb or less then it is a good deal.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If you decide to buy a new one from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. look for one made of steel. The cheaper anvils are cast iron. They're not exactly useless but for real metal forming work you'll want a steel anvil. Once in a while HF has some Russian made steel anvils. They're a little roughly finished but far preferable to the cast iron anvils.

Last edited:

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    If you decide to buy a new one from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. look for one made of steel. They're a little roughly finished The cheaper anvils are cast iron. They're not exactly useless but for real metal forming work you'll want a steel anvil. Once in a while HF has some Russian made steel anvils. They're a little roughly finished but far preferable to the cast iron anvils.

What he said, the castiron ones can shatter on you after repeated hits. I have seen the aftermath of one and most of the time the castiron ones will have an air pocket in them somewhere. And for the anvil launching I know of a farm up in northen Balt co. That it happens at once a year at the party:innocent0

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Anvils are something thats like a good scope, buy once cry once. However you dont go out and put a nightforce on your first 10-22.

I have many anvils, and many blocks of steel that would make a great first anvil. If you are interested i like to trade for guns ammo and money.

This is my Baby, 110 pound Jymm Hoffman Continental pattern. the steel stand is much handier then a stump, the 2" top as well as the thick waist of the anvil make it act like it's 200 pounds.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Sold mine for $500. Like new condition. 200lbs. They go for lots more for a quality one. Check local farm auctions. Take a ball bearing and drop it on the face. It's should ring not clang. Make sure the face is flat, take a straight edge also.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Keep an eye on Craigslist. I found one there. Guy in Odenton deals in them a bit. He told me a lot of old anvils that sound wrong were in barn fires and lost their tempering. I'll look for his info.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I got one for $75 one time. Weighs about 200 pounds. The top surface is in poor condition; I've often thought about having it milled flat but I don't do any real blacksmith work. Basically its used when I need to pound the hell out of something.

I got mine by putting an ad in the Bargaineer but that was before I knew about Craigslist.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    One thing thats important, if you are getting into blaesmithing, there's no need actually for a traditional anvil. In alot of ways, you'll be wasting your money. Most traditional blaesmiths for a long time have used stump and stake anvils.

clay pigeon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2012
    One thing thats important, if you are getting into blaesmithing, there's no need actually for a traditional anvil. In alot of ways, you'll be wasting your money. Most traditional blaesmiths for a long time have used stump and stake anvils.

You have a good point, OP you should take a look at a Bridge anvil. My friend has one that weights about 350 lbs and the flat measures about 8" x 30"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom