• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    IMO the most important thing to protect yourself and avoid becoming a victim is to always be aware of your surroundings and avoid dangerous places or situations. When I got attacked by violent criminals I saw them coming and had time to get ready to react. If I hadn't seen them coming, they would have definitely had the advantage.

petergriffin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 9, 2012
    IMO the most important thing to protect yourself and avoid becoming a victim is to always be aware of your surroundings and avoid dangerous places or situations. When I got attacked by dangerous criminals I saw them coming and had time to get ready to react. If I hadn't seen them coming, they would have definitely had the advantage.

Criminals don't care if you see them coming. They know the odds of you being armed are infintismal. A criminal choses a target based on ease of target. It's more likely you will get jumped then Mike Tyson getting jumped. They want you to comply out of fear of being injured or killed and that you will give up easily the items they want be that money or jewelry or what ever.

The Police say just comply because there is more paperwork if you are injured or killed during a robbery.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Criminals don't care if you see them coming. They know the odds of you being armed are infintismal. A criminal choses a target based on ease of target. It's more likely you will get jumped then Mike Tyson getting jumped. They want you to comply out of fear of being injured or killed and that you will give up easily the items they want be that money or jewelry or what ever.

The Police say just comply because there is more paperwork if you are injured or killed during a robbery.

Well cpt. Couldn't be more wrong, if you get killed its actually a lot less paperwork for me. a LOT less. The reason your advised to comply is because out of the 1000 robberies I have been involved in (on the good side :) ). I have found that most who comply generally walk away unharmed.

Yes it's like gambling but I'd take the odds of walking away over dying anyday.

I mean it's up to you all on how you plan to react but let's be honest when looking down the barrel of any gun with 2-3 foes around you your going to comply. Odds aren't exactly in your favor, iPods and cell phones can be replaced, your life can't.

For some reason you seem to think that all robbers wi guns want to kill you which is completely wrong.

Walter

May 23, 2010
    Guns are the problem guys. None of these stick ups would have ever happened if those upstanding citizens hadn't been granted CCW permits.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Trouble with that is, you're depending on the good graces of the ******* with the gun not just shooting you anyway.

I speak from the aspect of a person that has looked down the barrel of a gun during a robbery. Luckily he had not been properly instructed on the operation of a firearm, and used it as a club instead of shooting me with it- after I had "complied".

^^^^:thumbsup:

MPDC, of course no ones life is worth a pizza or $40 bucks. Me personally I would give them what the want and run, draw my gun to defend myself if need be, and call the police. Even though like you say 99% of robbery victims are unharmed, I dont want to be part of that 1% that is harmed.

I personally wouldnt deliver pizzas in the city without level IIa body armor anyway...just sayin.:cool:

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I think 2 or 3 robbers getting shot in the face would greatly reduce the number of these instances, don't you think?

I wish the police would say "get a gun, get training, and waste those clowns."

Walter

May 23, 2010

If legally carrying in MD ever becomes possible, hopefully criminals will reconsider the odds.

But if the criminal is coming towards you, you should pull the gun right then and there. Before he gets to you. They will back off, lest they enjoy lead showers.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Well cpt. Couldn't be more wrong, if you get killed its actually a lot less paperwork for me. a LOT less. The reason your advised to comply is because out of the 1000 robberies I have been involved in (on the good side :) ). I have found that most who comply generally walk away unharmed.

I mean it's up to you all on how you plan to react but let's be honest when looking down the barrel of any gun with 2-3 foes around you your going to comply. Odds aren't exactly in your favor, iPods and cell phones can be replaced, your life can't.

For some reason you seem to think that all robbers wi guns want to kill you which is completely wrong.

Not to minimize your personal experience, as I have mucho respect for LEOs (Even MSP) but wasnt it the study by Gary Kleck that pointed out your odds of survival are better with some type of resistance vs. no resistance at all?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    ^^^^:thumbsup:

MPDC, of course no ones life is worth a pizza or $40 bucks. Me personally I would give them what the want and run, draw my gun to defend myself if need be, and call the police. Even though like you say 99% of robbery victims are unharmed, I dont want to be part of that 1% that is harmed.

I personally wouldnt deliver pizzas in the city without level IIa body armor anyway...just sayin.:cool:

I agree no one wants to be that 1% and as I stated the feeling of helplessness is a terrible feeling. That's why I stated above its a gambling game and when complying the odds are in your favor. Not a good situation all around and a I pray none of you will have to be involved or involved again.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Not to minimize your personal experience, as I have mucho respect for LEOs (Even MSP) but wasnt it the study by Gary Kleck that pointed out your odds of survival are better with some type of resistance vs. no resistance at all?

That I'd have to look up as I haven't heard of it. Most robberies I have seen are 2-3-4 people robbing 1-2 people. Stregenth in numbers.....who he could take on 4 people who are armed?

Thank you for the study though I'm going to google that.

petergriffin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 9, 2012

Nowhere in my post did I write that all robbers with guns want to kill you. It's not written nor implied. What I said was a criminal picks his target based on the ease of the target and unlikelyhood of the target being able to defend himself either armed or disarmed. A robber wants to get as much as he can as quickly and easily as he can without getting himself hurt or arrested.

As far as paperwork goes, if you are killed in this hypothetical robbery, Homicide will investigate as well as Medical Examiners and other departments of a law enforcement agency. This all adds up to more paperwork.

petergriffin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 9, 2012
    If legally carrying in MD ever becomes possible, hopefully criminals will reconsider the odds.

But if the criminal is coming towards you, you should pull the gun right then and there. Before he gets to you. They will back off, lest they enjoy lead showers.

By the time you spot and identify a criminal coming at you you are already at a disadvantage. The criminal who chose you as a target has already made up his mind that you are his victim. Of course I could be replying to Rambo or Chuck Norris and not know it. If you are either I pitty the criminal.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Nowhere in my post did I write that all robbers with guns want to kill you. It's not written nor implied. What I said was a criminal picks his target based on the ease of the target and unlikelyhood of the target being able to defend himself either armed or disarmed. A robber wants to get as much as he can as quickly and easily as he can without getting himself hurt or arrested.

As far as paperwork goes, if you are killed in this hypothetical robbery, Homicide will investigate as well as Medical Examiners and other departments of a law enforcement agency. This all adds up to more paperwork.

To assume that Leo's say if you comply we will kill less trees is absurd. The goal is prevention and preservation of life.

I don't know what department you work for or how many robberies/homicides you have been involved in but paperwork would be the least of any Leo's worries.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    That I'd have to look up as I haven't heard of it. Most robberies I have seen are 2-3-4 people robbing 1-2 people. Strength in numbers.....who he could take on 4 people who are armed?

Thank you for the study though I'm going to google that.

GOod point mpdc!

I think many people are brainwashed by TV and movies, and that it's just you and the bad guy, in a dark alley, and all you hear is "stick em up".

If the bad guy has already drawn his gun and has it pointed, and ours is still holstered, we still say he has "got the drop on you".

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    GOod point mpdc!

I think many people are brainwashed by TV and movies, and that it's just you and the bad guy, in a dark alley, and all you hear is "stick em up".

If the bad guy has already drawn his gun and has it pointed, and ours is still holstered, we still say he has "got the drop on you".

That sir is all I want people to realize. I'm not saying don't do what you gotta do to make it home that night. I just would hate to see someone killed over bravado, it's not worth it.

petergriffin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 9, 2012
    To assume that Leo's say if you comply we will kill less trees is absurd. The goal is prevention and preservation of life.

I don't know what department you work for or how many robberies/homicides you have been involved in but paperwork would be the least of any Leo's worries.[/

I dont assume anything. Law Enforcement never advises anyone to resist a robber. They want you to comply and contact the police once the robber has left. No agency would want the liability of advising resistance. I have been a victim of 2 gunpoint robberies. The first one was a 13 year old black kid who stuck a 38 in my face and took a skateboard from me. I was not armed and didn't feel like eating a bullet. The second time my buddy and I was jumped by 8 black guys. One guy hit me in the back of the head with a cane. When I got hit I didn't know we were being jumped so I took two steps forward turned around to punch and had a 357 stuck against my forehead. You may investigate robberies I have been robbed.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Thank you for the link I'll have to read that. With that being said consider the source (progun.org) before taking it as 100% truth. That's like considering NBPPs website as a legit news source.

I am excited to see what he says though, thanks again.

You mean to tell me NBPP isnt a ligit news outlet?!?!?!?!?!?:eek::sarcasm:

The site was just the first one up on google.

Its actually kinda funny but Gary Kleck is a fierce Left wing Democrat. This study and John Lott's study are the ones most pro-gunners refer to when debunking antis. the study is also almost 20 years old so that should be taken into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom