• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Best place to find cast iron pans, is at yard sales and estate auctions. They are usually the old (better quality) pans and you can usually buy them for pennies on the dollar. We cook almost exclusively using cast iron pans. A well seasoned cast iron pan can be as non-stick as any of those chemically coated newbie pans.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    looks good, but 160 to $200 are you kidding me? luccca1's looking even better now. hahahah

Wait for a sale - often as much as 50% off. The Smithey skillets are beautifully made - the cooking surface is nicely polished, a real pleasure to use. Haven't touched my Lodge skillets since - the difference is significant.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Wait for a sale - often as much as 50% off. The Smithey skillets are beautifully made - the cooking surface is nicely polished, a real pleasure to use. Haven't touched my Lodge skillets since - the difference is significant.

thank you. I have one flat iron, its really good.

If I don't get this one, that sound really good, I'll maybe make the investment to the one you like too.

also wonder where that guy is that was staulking me a few weeks ago? is that normal for people to be so creepy here?

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines

It's definitely not top of the line. I cook inside using one that was passed down from my great grandmother, smooth as glass. I use the lodge on the grill only. At less than $13, its darn near disposable.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    It's definitely not top of the line. I cook inside using one that was passed down from my great grandmother, smooth as glass. I use the lodge on the grill only. At less than $13, its darn near disposable.

even for a hundred buckes I dont, wtf!

$20 maybe, used is good to.

gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    Best place to find cast iron pans, is at yard sales and estate auctions. They are usually the old (better quality) pans and you can usually buy them for pennies on the dollar. We cook almost exclusively using cast iron pans. A well seasoned cast iron pan can be as non-stick as any of those chemically coated newbie pans.

I've known people to use them for melting down lead. I'd test any used pans before using them.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Problem is when they need to be reseasoned, I haven’t mastered that task yet. I have one that I use that I got an ok season on, but it still needs work.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    I season my iron by placing the skillet upside down in the oven at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. Once heated, I liberally wipe it down on both sides with Criso and place back in the oven upside down for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Then, I remove the iron and wipe completely dry of all oil and place back in the oven for 1 hour at 500 degrees. I repeat this process up to 3 times as the iron will darken with each seasoning.

Bacon is not very good for seasoning against popular opinion unless you are using really expensive bacon. Cheap bacon contains too much sugar and water for proper seasoning a stripped pan.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Now you all have got me watching youtube videos on how to make a $12 Lodge smooth like a Smithey.

Thanks MDS ;)

Check out Kent Rollins on YouTube. He's a real Chuck Wagon cook and has a lot of videos on YouTube about buying, maintaining (including seasoning), and cooking with Cast Iron.

Yes, he and his wife own a Catering company based on an 1800's Studebaker Chuck Wagon that they use to feed cowboys on cattle drives.

BTW - He beat Bobby Flay on a Chicken Fried Steak Throwdown on the Food Network.:party29:

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County

+1 This is how I picked up my most recently purchased cast iron pan for $1. The estate sale was a house back in the woods with tons of old stuff (old farm equipment, busted furniture and masonry, etc.). In retrospect, I think that perhaps I should have grabbed more of the cast iron pans (stack of 20-30 were available, with light rust and a lot of dust), but at the time I was thinking I just needed one of a specific size. A bit of time with steel wool took off the rust, then a few cycles with crisco in the oven to season it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom