• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    If that's the case, you purchased the wrong size boots. You should never have to go thru blisters...

Jamie

Really? I go thru boots about every six months and that's if I buy red wing or Carolinas. I've never bought a leather boot that wasn't tight at first and required about a week to break in. Leather boots soften up and form to fit snug. If you get a boot that is just snug at first then when you break in the leather the fit will be sloppy. And like stated before wearing more socks isn't a good solution.

O.p. I don't know if you live close to Baltimore city but Shanes shoes is a good place to check out. They carry every thing Red Wing, Halls, Carolinas, and so on. They are know what they are talking about and will pair you up with the right boot for what you do.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    Thanks for all the advice fellas and convincing to go BIGGER. At home It did not take long to realize the smaller size was not going to work. Exchanged them today for the twelves that are a much better fit. They will work early season with a single pair of socks. During winter I add a thin polypro wicking sock. Sale price was 79 down from 159. They are F&S prohunter 800. Not redwings but feel good and appear to be pretty decent insulated boot.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    go bigger.
    buy boots with replaceable Vibram soles.
    Your feet will thank you after you've broken them in and when the bottom wears out, replace with new vibrams. Key is keeping the uppers in good condition.

if you are diligent, keep up with maintenance and they will last you quite some time. I had a set of boots for 6 years before I stopped wearing them...I still have them and use it when doing chores around the house now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If the left ( larger) foot is too tight , it will get pinched/ blistered, etc , no way around that . If the right ( smaller) foot is too loose, you can wear thicker sock, double sock on one foot only, or thicker insole in right foot .

My problem is no mfg makes half sizes over 12.5 . I would he a 14 1/2 , if such a thing existed . But it doesn't , I have to do trial and error to find a brand/ specific boot that is either a 14 runs big, or 15 that runs small . At least half the time neither works

Redwing 14 Medium works for me .

And what"s with so many mfg only making large sizes in Wide and Extra Wide ? Plenty of Medium feet out there , and we don't like every thing slopping around on our feet .

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I can tell you from experience, that thicker and multiple socks are your biggest enemy for keeping you feet warm in the extreme cold. Your feet need to breathe and not sweat. You need socks that wick moisture. If your feet get wet from sweat - your done for - your feet will get cold and fast.

I spend all winter on the ice on Deep Creek - ice fishing. My boots are Lacrosse Burly 1200 (1200 grams of the thinsulate) They are rubber high boots - intended for hunting but these boots, and one pair of socks - have kept my feet warm on top of a foot and half of ice, and sometimes a over foot of snow on top of the ice. Alot of times we get water on top of the ice - and the boots have been great. Kept my feet dry, and warm.

I used to use Sorrels that are supposed to guarantee to keep your feet warm in -40 temps. The Lacross were a looser fit - and much warmer. I never went back to the Sorels.
    What socks do you wear? I have a heck of a time with cold feet in the tree stand. My feet sweat a lot. I try to run a wicking pair underneath a warm pair.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I use blanket boots and hang them on a caribiner on my hunting backpack. If its cold I put them on in the tree stand. My feet sweat a lot and get cold once hunting. i have never found pair of 1200 boots that keep my feet warm like these. Many friends made fun of me for them and they have a pair after they left with cold feet and I kept hunting!!

Half the time I am using uninsulated hunting boots or just simple muck boots for comfort now. Light shoes to walk in and my knees love that better than those heavy hunting boots that my feet still got cold in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom