Homeless guy at DC Pride event pulls a pellet gun, let's hash out DC's BB gun laws

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Charges on the guy who allegedly brandished a BB gun/pellet gun at DC pride:
    Police charged Singh with:
    - Possession of a prohibited weapon
    - Possession of a BB gun
    - Carrying a dangerous weapon
    - Disorderly conduct
    http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-ne...tal-pride-chaos-according-to-dc-police-report
    D.C. police spokesperson Brianna Jordan told the Washington Blade Suspect 1 has been identified as Aftabjit Singh, 38, of no fixed address.

The report says Singh was arrested on the scene in Dupont Circle and charged with three gun related offenses, possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of a BB gun, and Carrying a Dangerous Weapon (Outside Home or Place of Business). The report says he was also charged with “Disorderly Conduct — Cause Unreasonable Fear.”
    https://www.washingtonblade.com/201...ht-couple-triggered-panic-at-dc-pride-parade/

So I have been told by MPD that crossbows, spearguns, slingshots etc are ok in the home and ok to transport secured.
    I am trying to find actual current code on BB or Airsoft. Is any possession illegal?

I mean I get the ccharge oncarrying (vs secured transporting) in public, the brandishing threatening with a deadly weapon, posession while committing a crime, but is there a outright prohibition for "possession" of airsoft or bb per se? Is it illegal to own and possess in a home when a compound bow, crossbow, speargun are not illegal?

Let's hash out the code specifics.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    DCMR 24-2301.3-.4 is what you are looking for. Basically at home inside a “building” ok, and transporting “securely wrapped” ok. Not sure where those other charges came from. I know there is a catch-all somewhere in the DC Code that makes anything (e.g. a Leatherman) a dangerous weapon if it is used offensively or in a crime.

2301.1No person under the age of eighteen (18) years shall carry or have in his or her possession upon any street, avenue, road, alley, park, or other public space in the District, any gun, pistol, rifle, bean shooter, sling, projectile, dart, or other dangerous weapon of any character.

2301.2Nothing in this section shall be construed as to prohibit a member of a duly authorized military organization from the proper use of the guns and other equipment used as a member of the organization.

2301.3It shall not be lawful for any person to carry or have in his or her possession outside any building in the District an air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring gun, blowgun, bowgun, or any similar type gun.

2301.4Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the transportation of an air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring, gun, blowgun, or bowgun, unloaded and securely wrapped, by a person who is eighteen (18) or more years of age.

2301.5Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the use of an air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring gun, blowgun, bowgun, or any similar type gun, where the use of the gun is supervised by a person eighteen (18) or more years of age in connection with the following:

(a)A theatrical performance or athletic contest;

(b)A licensed shooting gallery; or

(c)Use at other locations where the use of the guns is authorized by the Chief of Police

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    He was interviewed on the news.

Claims he and his wife were maced and attacked by two men. One of the men repeatedly punched his wife She stood next to him with a closed up black eye during the interview.

He grabbed the bb gun from his bag after being maced and used it to fend off the attackers.

The sheep started a stampede knocking over the "bicycle fences" which they speculated sounded like gunshots.

He said he was sorry for causing the unrest but not sorry for protecting his wife and himself. He was well spoken and didn't seem like a nut.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    DCMR 24-2301.3-.4 is what you are looking for. Basically at home inside a “building” ok, and transporting “securely wrapped” ok. Not sure where those other charges came from. I know there is a catch-all somewhere in the DC Code that makes anything (e.g. a Leatherman) a dangerous weapon if it is used offensively or in a crime.

2301.1No person under the age of eighteen (18) years shall carry or have in his or her possession upon any street, avenue, road, alley, park, or other public space in the District, any gun, pistol, rifle, bean shooter, sling, projectile, dart, or other dangerous weapon of any character.

2301.2Nothing in this section shall be construed as to prohibit a member of a duly authorized military organization from the proper use of the guns and other equipment used as a member of the organization.

2301.3It shall not be lawful for any person to carry or have in his or her possession outside any building in the District an air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring gun, blowgun, bowgun, or any similar type gun.

2301.4Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the transportation of an air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring, gun, blowgun, or bowgun, unloaded and securely wrapped, by a person who is eighteen (18) or more years of age.

2301.5Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the use of an air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring gun, blowgun, bowgun, or any similar type gun, where the use of the gun is supervised by a person eighteen (18) or more years of age in connection with the following:

(a)A theatrical performance or athletic contest;

(b)A licensed shooting gallery; or

(c)Use at other locations where the use of the guns is authorized by the Chief of Police

yeah I had seen that. This raises the "possession" and "prohibited" charge(s) question. I get a carrying and brandishing, or if applicable use of it in a crime, charges. The two possession charges seem strange.

Of course the media makes a mess of such things. I see some of the reporting says "illegal BB gun." When it is not the bb gun that is illegal, but what it is done with it (carrying unsecured in public space, brandishing it, etc)

As far a the catch all that make anything a a weapon, it is not just in commission of a crime, you are right about that: But also I believe you set your self up for criminal possession if you simply admit for lots of objects for self defense in the public space. i think what you say matters. For example if you have baseball bat on the front passenger seat, or a screwdriver in your coat pocket, and are asked if you have that to defend yourself, you should say "no."

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    He was interviewed on the news.

Claims he and his wife were maced and attacked by two men. One of the men repeatedly punched his wife She stood next to him with a closed up black eye during the interview.

He grabbed the bb gun from his bag after being maced and used it to fend off the attackers.

The sheep started a stampede knocking over the "bicycle fences" which they speculated sounded like gunshots.

He said he was sorry for causing the unrest but not sorry for protecting his wife and himself. He was well spoken and didn't seem like a nut.

I agree that this pride event is becoming essentially a pub crawl and groping opportunity, at least for a lot of participants.

Perhaps your details are why he was not charged for actual assault the charge of which which can result from brandishment.

There were a tweets, with huge re-tweeting, by gun control advocacy groups within moments of the initial event, furthering the "shooting" narrative, which probably exasperated the panic

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Saw a video on the book of faces of a group of "women" at the event twerking around and on a MPD cruiser. Literally on as in on the hood, on the roof, on the trunk...

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Why in the news coverage, was everyone "running for their lives" smiling?

After seeing the coverage and then reading a lot of the comments it seems like many people wanted this to be a real threat so they could push their agenda or find some virtue in being a victim.

Or push a narrative that America is a terrible place.

Weird

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    This guy forgot that you cannot defend yourself or your loved ones in the District of Criminals not even with your Red Ryder BB Gun! I like the way he thinks and reacts though!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Does that law really say "bean shooter"??? REALLY?

There is no hope for civilization.

IIRC the DC dangerous weapons laws were established in the 1950's so the list sounds like something from West Side Story.

Blackjack, slungshot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife...

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Crazy when a simple bb gun is 1. Considered a dangerous weapon, and 2. The first thing someone goes to in a self defense situation because their 2A rights are so neutered, up to and including said bb gun...

It just goes back to that tiny percent who use them to commit robberies or shoot someone's eye out in a gang war... And where you live I suppose helps... Liberals ruin everything...

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Crazy when a simple bb gun is 1. Considered a dangerous weapon, and 2. The first thing someone goes to in a self defense situation because their 2A rights are so neutered, up to and including said bb gun...

It just goes back to that tiny percent who use them to commit robberies or shoot someone's eye out in a gang war... And where you live I suppose helps... Liberals ruin everything...

To be fair it is not extremely difficult to get a CCW in DC.

However this guy probably could not get one because he is an illegal immigrant.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

So soda straw no bueno unless you are military or police.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of course if a BB gun is your designated " defensive firearm " , that's a problem in itself .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    After seeing the coverage and then reading a lot of the comments it seems like many people wanted this to be a real threat so they could push their agenda or find some virtue in being a victim.

Or push a narrative that America is a terrible place.

Weird

Correct,
    Any way to bring the attention (false as it may be) that LGBTQ is being attacked and Guns are the reason.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    To be fair it is not extremely difficult to get a CCW in DC.

However this guy probably could not get one because he is an illegal immigrant.

True.

And I can't get the article to work anymore; I guess I missed that part. So with that in mind, clear him of the self defense crap, then get ICE in there to haul his ass to wherever he belongs, be it prison or his country of origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom