• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Hey Nate, any plans to release as a combo with a 22 mag cylinder?

To my understanding, no; this gun will be 22 LR only.

During destructive / intentional abuse testing it was noted that 22 MAG with a several projectile bore obstruction would cause the cylinder frame to fail in an unsafe manner. Yes, 22 MAG works, but we will not be doing it for that reason. There are companies that would do it (since the failure requires several failure points), I'm sure, but we are not one of them.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

During destructive / intentional abuse testing it was noted that 22 MAG with a several projectile bore obstruction would cause the cylinder frame to fail in an unsafe manner. Yes, 22 MAG works, but we will not be doing it for that reason. There are companies that would do it (since the failure requires several failure points), I'm sure, but we are not one of them.

Thanks for the response Nate! Makes sense. Just figured I would ask being Ruger keeps coming out with such cool products and upgrading them like they did with the PC Carbine (I own one of the early ones and love the new tactical forend).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

I feel like it would be hard not to miss a squib, but 22lr seems like the most dangerous for squibs in terms of likelihood and “not noticing”.

22mag probably isn’t as likely, but way more than a centerfire.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Does anyone know if a sample has been submitted to MSP for the roster yet?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was able to handle it and dry fire a few times at the RUGER display at the 2019 NRA Annual Meeting. Reminded me a lot of my Ruger Single Six. The staff manning the booth said there are no plans to offer anything other than .22LR at this time.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I was able to handle it and dry fire a few times at the RUGER display at the 2019 NRA Annual Meeting. Reminded me a lot of my Ruger Single Six. The staff manning the booth said there are no plans to offer anything other than .22LR at this time.

Glad to see we are consistent in messaging at least!

Do you remember who you chatted with? I was asked to go last minute but couldn't. Sort of regret that now.

ziptiespec

I'd love to know this as well. If not, how does one go about this? Order one to a shop, have the submit the model to the roster? The next meeting of the HRB is June 12th, cut off for petitions is May 23rd. I'd love to have this one get approved in June so I can get one for my birthday :)

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Glad to see we are consistent in messaging at least!

Do you remember who you chatted with? I was asked to go last minute but couldn't. Sort of regret that now.

I did not get the name. I was a firearms examiner for their booth and had a chance to play a bit without the crowd.

Went back when the floor opened up and the Wrangler display always had a good crowd in front of it. I was surprised by it as I did not think there would be so much interest in a single action revolver.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I did not get the name. I was a firearms examiner for their booth and had a chance to play a bit without the crowd.

Went back when the floor opened up and the Wrangler display always had a good crowd in front of it. I was surprised by it as I did not think there would be so much interest in a single action revolver.

Everything else at this price point is, shall we say, not that great. The assumption I'm making is that the Wrangler will be a solid utility gun. Ruger has a reputation to uphold. For $250, I'm comfortable taking a chance.

Now if I could just find one in stock.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I got to handle this at my dealer last night. There's a few things that tell you it's the economy line. There's visible casting lines on the grip frame, plastic grips and a few Torx screws. They also went with a fixed groove instead of an adjustable rear sight.

On the plus side, it feels well made. The cylinder was snug. Hammer worked smoothly. Trigger was about the right weight and felt crisp, with little or no creep. I wasn't expecting a good trigger, but there it is. The loading gate was a little tight. Maybe oil would help, or some break-in time. Not a big deal to me.

Overall it seems decent for the price. My dealer said it was obviously better made than a Heritage. (I've never handled one so I'm taking his word for it.) Now to get it on the roster.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'd love to know this as well. If not, how does one go about this? Order one to a shop, have the submit the model to the roster? The next meeting of the HRB is June 12th, cut off for petitions is May 23rd. I'd love to have this one get approved in June so I can get one for my birthday :)

Anyone know if this has been submitted yet? The 23rd is coming quickly. Is there a way to see what guns have been submitted?

Anyone know if this has been submitted yet? The 23rd is coming quickly. Is there a way to see what guns have been submitted?

I don't know if it has already been submitted, but my local FFL/IP Masada Tactical will be submitting it to the board for me. Yossi doesn't think they will want to fondle an actual firearm, as it is a: revolver, .22, Ruger- nothing says "scary" about this new firearm.
    Hopefully he gets the paperwork in for this month's review.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've submitted the paperwork as well. I haven't heard back yet, so no idea if they'll want to test a sample or not.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks all! It is going to take a lot of wrangling (sorry for the pun) to get my wife to allow me to buy another handgun ANY time soon. However I think I really can convince her on this one. A knock around varmint/pest control handgun would be really nice with my new property and I’ve got zero 22 handguns. So a dirt cheap shooting handgun and something better to train her and the kids on would be huge.

But she’s is pissed I own two handguns (okay, 7. But she knows of 2 and parts for more). Plus I’ve gotta sell my old house, but fingers crossed that’s soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom