• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They can sell it out of state via an out of state FFL. An MD FFL cannot transfer a banned firearm to anyone in state. In other words, the buyer cannot come to an MD FFL and pick up the rifle. It must be transfered to an FFL in a state where the rifle can be legally sold.

Yes, they can use an MD FFL to send it to an out of state FFL, but it still goes through an FFL in another state. But there is no legal reason that an MD FFL is required to be involved. The MD owner can ship or take it to the out of state FFL, if that FFL will accept from an individual. Whether they do are not is a store policy, not law.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    I know this is an older thread but it goes to a question I had recently. If a MD FFL is selling a now banned rifle to a person who lives in another state it’s my understanding now that the person would need to take possession of said rifle at an FFL in their state.

My concern is that the MD FFL would still be getting payment for the banned rifle from the customer prior to it being shipped to the out of state FFL. Once the MD FFL gets the money for the rifle they have made a sale for that rifle is that not against the law the way are written as well? Simply taking possession of it in another state is not the point of sale, that happens when the customer pays the MD FFL for the rifle.

Some more insight on this very confusing issue would be nice.

Basically how can a MD FFL sell a now MD banned rifle to a non-MD resident without going afoul of the law? To me like I said once the MD FFL gets payment for the rifle that’s the point when the rifle is sold, the person is simply just picking it up on the other end.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I know this is an older thread but it goes to a question I had recently. If a MD FFL is selling a now banned rifle to a person who lives in another state it’s my understanding now that the person would need to take possession of said rifle at an FFL in their state.

My concern is that the MD FFL would still be getting payment for the banned rifle from the customer prior to it being shipped to the out of state FFL. Once the MD FFL gets the money for the rifle they have made a sale for that rifle is that not against the law the way are written as well? Simply taking possession of it in another state is not the point of sale, that happens when the customer pays the MD FFL for the rifle.

Basically how can a MD FFL sell a now MD banned rifle to a non-MD resident without going afoul of the law? To me like I said once the MD FFL gets payment for the rifle that’s the point when the rifle is sold, the person is simply just picking it up on the other end.

I kind of went through this when I was looking for an old Colt AR. I have to call the FFL from my state, pay for it via credit card while I'm not in Maryland, then have them ship it to my FFL. I'm sure it's still there, since they didn't reply to further inquiries from me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You are overthinking it.

If the MD FFL ships it to another FFL, there is no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom