• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Hey folks,

Ok, first off I apologies for being uninformed. I never even considered this because I never had my own property to hunt on. So I been reading and one method of attracting deer is to built a watering hole. I'm closing on my house with 3 acres in a few weeks. There are pear trees in the middle of the property that attract deer (saw a doe 2 of 5 times since I been there). Is adding a water source affect anything? Should it be place near the trees where I can get a clear shooting lane from my expected stand location? I dont want to trespass on my neighbors to scout out if they have water sources nearby between bedding area and my trees that seem to attract deer decently well.

Do I need to get a real legit barrel? Kids have a bright blue kiddies pool that only wife will notice its missing. Can I paint it black, dig a hole, make it look natural, call it a day? Will it be consider standing water and attract tons of insects?

Thank you!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    You could use Google Earth to search for nearby water sources.

Or walk the neighbors property yelling "SPOT ....SPOT....come here you stupid dog!!!! "

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    If you're already seeing deer, and have a food source, maybe you don't need to add a water feature. Maybe consider adding a food plot to provide forage when the pears aren't available.

Unless you have a stream or seek to provide running water, as already posted it will become a breeding ground for mosquitos. Deer will travel a good distance in their daily migrations, and they'll find water when they need it. Just my two cents.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have running water through my property, just doesnt pool up much so I helped it out a little. See what happens.

Attachments

• Resized_20190720_092508(1).jpg
      Resized_20190720_092508(1).jpg
      172.2 KB · Views: 172

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Reminds me of wheeling in WV and the local showed us a rather large hose which ran up the mountain to a spring, so far up the mountain that the water pressure was almost unmanageable LOL. Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom