• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There's enough foot traffic through that parking lot that it is very unlikely someone could break into your vehicle without being spotted by at least five people, who would gladly put the beat down on the perps. At least at the Chantilly and Fredericksburg shows.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Most shows have a policy against carrying firearms for defense, it's hypocritical, stupid, and at least in PA has 0 force of law, even if police happen to be the hired security to check guns at the door.

I also ignore it at EVERY gun show I attend, concealed means concealed, and when asked if I have any firearms, just say no. Worst they can do is ask for you to leave. There are plenty of people that out themselves, but there are no pat-down, no metal detectors, and a lot of others that do the same thing I do. Guess the "honorable" thing to do is boycott the shows, but being a gun show, and a central part of our gun culture, I'll attend those I want to, and complain about the policy every chance I get.

Odd thing is most get NRA endorsed insurance, and the NRA have this policy as part of their insurance application(d,f,k on application). The NRA's own conventions, the outdoor show, and even their headquarters allow lawful carry without issue. I'll write them a letter pretty much after every gun show.

Now obviously I understand there is a reason to check firearms someone is bringing to sell, trade. Until the last few years there was a distinction of firearms brought in for these purposes, where handguns for sale/trade were brought in cases, checked and flagged at the door, then allowed into the show, while defensive firearms were expressly allowed.

https://mynrainsurance.com/getmedia/95bcf4ee-e768-4cc1-bab5-5d85334ce6cc/2016-Gun-Show-Application-9-16.pdf
    After having experienced McAwful's unlawful 'ban' of concealed carry in public buildings and liquor stores in Va, I am inclined to agree with everything you're saying here.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There's enough foot traffic through that parking lot that it is very unlikely someone could break into your vehicle without being spotted by at least five people, who would gladly put the beat down on the perps. At least at the Chantilly and Fredericksburg shows.

The odds of a perp finding THAT car/truck with a loaded handgun hidden within it is very small. I know this, but I still leave my handgun at my son's house.

I don't know if there are laws within the county that could make you a criminal, if in fact you did carry within the gun show. So, I will continue to do it this way.

Last thing I want to do is to become a prohibited person while trying to exercise my 2A right.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I THINK that Virginia has a law that gives door signs the force of law, but not sure.

VCDL urged people to ignore McAwful 'no gun' signs saying that they they do not have the force of law, and if discovered could only be asked to leave. Refusal to leave constitutes trespassing, not the 'no guns' signs.

Thanks. As I said, I wasn't sure :) This is why it is so important if you have the ability to carry to know the laws of the state you are in. Having a MD permit allows me to carry in VA but I stay away from situations that I am unfamiliar of.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    After having experienced McAwful's unlawful 'ban' of concealed carry in public buildings and liquor stores in Va, I am inclined to agree with everything you're saying here.

:thumbsup: That was another one, the signs were complete BS and he knew it.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    THeir: leave your mag in your vehicle and make sure a round is not left in the chamber. Present your firearm to be zip-tied at the front door and enjoy the show.

On the way to the front door, and when leaving the show, conceal it from a potential bad guy who may be able to see that you have a unloaded firearm.

I thought that thing on your revolver was some kind of mod you installed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom