When is a firearm design no longer on the banned list?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Is there an list of changes MSP considers to render a firearm not to be a copy of a listed rifle or pistol when making a new receiver?

For example, changing the magazine type (making something use Glock mags vs a proprietary mag), or using a different set of fire control parts (an AK receiver that uses an AR15 hammer, trigger, and safety).

Or is it a "know it when they see it" deal?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I believe MSP put out a bulletin that parts had to be 100% interchangeable inorder for for it to be a copy of a banned weapon, which is why piston ARs are still legal, provided they do not banned from any of the other tests.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe MSP put out a bulletin that parts had to be 100% interchangeable inorder for for it to be a copy of a banned weapon, which is why piston ARs are still legal, provided they do not banned from any of the other tests.
    Not quite. If it is one part away from becoming a copy of a banned weapon, it falls under the rules governing banned weapons.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I finally found it once I added the word "bulletin" to my search, their website stinks.

Source

"the Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons."

:innocent0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200616-163416_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20200616-163416_Chrome.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 627
    • FIREARMS BULLETIN.pdf
      445.1 KB · Views: 164

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    completely interchangeable internals makes it seem easy for a company to make a receiver with a slightly different bolt catch thickness. Or even different takedown pin spring setup, like an ar10 style, and avoid all that nonsense.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    completely interchangeable internals makes it seem easy for a company to make a receiver with a slightly different bolt catch thickness. Or even different takedown pin spring setup, like an ar10 style, and avoid all that nonsense.

The AR10 is a completely different rifle from and AR15, bad example.

Something as simple as metric fastening hardware instead of imperial works as well. There are several firearms that are legal in Maryland because they have metric hardware.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    You don't understand. If you made an AR15 that used the AR10 style takedown which has the spring go through the pistol grip instead of out the rear, it would not be 100% interchangeable with conventional ar15's and thus be exempt. Yeah the AR10 is different than the ar15, that's the point of me saying they should use that style.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So is a non-Colt rifle with a large pin trigger group, normal takedown pins, and government profile barrel included in the enumerated "Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle?"

The original 0.170" trigger parts do not seem to be available, but some manufacturers make drop-in triggers for that hole pattern. Or, design the receiver to use 4.5mm (0.177") vs the standard 0.155" or 0.170" pins, maybe just change the trigger and disconnector?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I laughed my way through this whole post,,
    The MSP are clueless what is legal and what is not.
    2 years ago I called and wrote trying to get clarification if a particular VEPR was legal in Maryland,, I was finally told (By the MSP) to ask a Maryland FLL dealer, they would be the judge.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Question, would a BULA Forge Left handed M1-A likely qualify for Md. purchase? The barrel, trigger group , bolt do not interchange with a right handed model.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I laughed my way through this whole post,,
    The MSP are clueless what is legal and what is not.
    ………………………..

This is EXACLY why it is beyond stupid to poke the bear. They WILL err on the side of caution and most likely tell you something is banned even if it clearly should not be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom