• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I have a back of the safe M91 that I would like the M.D.S brains to give me some info. So far all I know is US made and SA marked. I have never shot this and I am probably going to sell it to fund a Sporting Clay over and under. Thanks in advance for your help. Stay Healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
      IMG_0205.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 669
    • IMG_0206.jpg
      IMG_0206.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 693
    • IMG_0219.jpg
      IMG_0219.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 675
    • IMG_0214.jpg
      IMG_0214.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 688
    • IMG_0212.jpg
      IMG_0212.jpg
      14 KB · Views: 681
    • IMG_0216.jpg
      IMG_0216.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 668
    • IMG_0217.jpg
      IMG_0217.jpg
      18.4 KB · Views: 675
    • IMG_0210.jpg
      IMG_0210.jpg
      19 KB · Views: 681
    • IMG_0215.jpg
      IMG_0215.jpg
      17.2 KB · Views: 683
    • IMG_0200.jpg
      IMG_0200.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 715

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Looking at the rifle I noticed on the right side of the barrel there is a number starting with a S. Little research says that it is a Finnish Civil Defense number. So far we have a N.E.W, Matching numbers, SA Stamped, Finnish Defense stamped rifle. Im thinking we have quite the collector value here. Does anyone know who I should take this to for appraisal? And to document the rifle.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looking at the rifle I noticed on the right side of the barrel there is a number starting with a S. Little research says that it is a Finnish Civil Defense number. So far we have a N.E.W, Matching numbers, SA Stamped, Finnish Defense stamped rifle. Im thinking we have quite the collector value here. Does anyone know who I should take this to for appraisal? And to document the rifle.

Probably worth $450-500.

N.E.W. rifles are nice, but they’re still fairly common. The U.S. surcharged examples go for big money. Unfortunately this isn’t one of those.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I had a NEW that I sold for $500. It was in really good condition though, I haven’t seen one better.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    A US-made Mosin is an awesome piece of history to own. Ppl in the Mosin's homeland lose their minds over pieces like this actually belonging to someone.

A US Mosin and a US 1895 lever action 54R are ones I absolutely need to own one day.

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I would love to have someone that knows their shit about Mosins go over my gun and lit me know what it really is. I would be willing to pay. What can I do as as taking it apart cleaning cosmoline out. Cleaning stock. I don’t want to ruin historical value if there is any. The stock is pretty rough. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would love to have someone that knows their shit about Mos ins go over my gun and lit me know what it really is. I would be willing to pay. What can I do as as taking it apart cleaning cosmoline out. Cleaning stock. I don’t want to ruin historical value if there is any. The stock is pretty rough. Thank you everyone for your responses.

I think you will find a fair amount of information exists on the web. Yours is very similar to mine, condition varying. Its a Finn and as with all Finn Nagants they have awesome history.

Here are some good pages that should help you answer 95% of questions you might have.

http://7.62x54r.net/
    https://russian-mosin-nagant.com/
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/is-your-mosin-nagant-worth-money/

One of the things you have in your favor is that it has the upper hand guard, they were very thin and tend to crack over the years and are VERY hard to find replacements for. I would say 9 out of 10 Remington or NEW guns I have seen have been missing this piece.

I would love to get my hands on a U.S. Property NEW with a flaming bomb or a Bannerman conversion just for the history.

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Thanks JimBob,
    There are so many markings and so much information out there it's difficult to track and digest all the info. I am learning a ton doing the research.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Probably worth $450-500.

N.E.W. rifles are nice, but they’re still fairly common. The U.S. surcharged examples go for big money. Unfortunately this isn’t one of those.

C’mon. Everyone knows all Mozins are only worth $150-$200...:sad20:

Kidding :D
    As usual, Dan has given a very fair assessment. I would agree, mostly due to the fact it appears the rifle is still in a non-Bubba’ed Black Walnut Stock with all the hardware per originally issued.
    OP - is it a NEW stock? Recoil lug looks to be centered in finger groove. Does buttplate match the barrel serial?
    All I see right now is a Finn Army matched bolt. Not original. Could even be the third bolt knob assembly as several Civil Guard depots put their number on bolt flat to match CG number on barrel.

Thanks JimBob,
    There are so many markings and so much information out there it's difficult to track and digest all the info. I am learning a ton doing the research.

Truly the best way to learn! Even if it is just about Mosins....

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I will check when I get home and see if I can get more info. What do you think? Take it apart and check for numbers/stamps?

No need to take apart. 98% of the stamps/marks below the wood line are misc unknown inspector‘s roll marks.

On the left side of the butt stock, look for Cyrillic letters in a circle. I’m including a pic. This basically interprets to “English Contract”.

Again, due to the nature of your specific rifle, you are looking at $450-500 as the value. Any information over and above will be for self edification should you decide to keep.

Attachments

• ACDDFB84-22AC-42C8-9EBF-6D4BD66035DA.jpg
      ACDDFB84-22AC-42C8-9EBF-6D4BD66035DA.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 240

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads