Dumping the semi, Getting a Sporting O/U; Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I would shoulder both the Beretta and the Browning before purchasing. The Browning fit me whereas the Beretta did not. The Caesar Guerini is a nice gun but above the budget you listed. Jack Bart is a Caesar Guerini elite dealer and is in MD. You can meet him at one of the skeet ranges in Md. and shoot one if you like.

This for CGs. Jack Bart will meet you at Loch Raven (or somewhere else) and let you shoot several guns and stock configurations. Then he will give you a great price, sit with you and do the forms by cell phone, and you go home with the gun.
    Easy peasy.
    Or he'll take you to the Cambridge distributor and let you pick a gun where Andrew (gunsmith) will fit it to you.
    CGs may be a little more cash, but you'll never need another gun.

I have 3 CGs and am a fan. (sold my 680 series Berettas)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This for CGs. Jack Bart will meet you at Loch Raven (or somewhere else) and let you shoot several guns and stock configurations. Then he will give you a great price, sit with you and do the forms by cell phone, and you go home with the gun.
    Easy peasy.
    Or he'll take you to the Cambridge distributor and let you pick a gun where Andrew (gunsmith) will fit it to you.

So you had a very solid Beretta 680 something and sold it for a CG? Wow!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I am going to drop $16,000 or more on a SINGLE firearm, it would be a full auto NFA item, not a shotgun (unless it was owned by Teddy Roosevelt).

HOWEVER - You guys make a good point; why spend $2,000 on a Beretta/Browning only to turn around in 5 years and get a $5,000 GC? It's just hard for me to tell how serious into clay shooting I will be in the future.

[EDIT] why spend $2,000 on a Beretta/Browning only to turn around in 5 years and get a $3,500 GC?

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If I am going to drop $16,000 or more on a SINGLE firearm, it would be a full auto NFA item, not a shotgun (unless it was owned by Teddy Roosevelt).

HOWEVER - You guys make a good point; why spend $2,000 on a Beretta/Browning only to turn around in 5 years and get a $5,000 GC? It's just hard for me to tell how serious into clay shooting I will be in the future.

My new CG summit sporting was $3,400 shipped to my FFL. Just wanted to give you info in case someone tries to overcharge you.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Budget: $2800.

How Much do I shoot
    (a) Now: 6 or 8 times a year a mix of trap, skeet, and sporting clays socially with the guys at work and/or my gun club.
    (b) Moving forward: Monthly.

You currently have a very nice gun especially for someone who anticipates shooting clays 12x a year. I can’t see stretching all the way to a CG for a casual recreational shooter. Honestly I think you’re overgunned already.

r100rsman

Mar 9, 2017
    Olney
    I would advise to buy the gun that feels the best and don't be hesitant to spend the extra dollars on the right shotgun. A CG is a life long gun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thanks, that's much more realistic.

How much you spend on a gun is all about budget. Nowadays, I am lucky if I get out and shoot clays twice a year. However, when I bought my 682 Super Trap back in 1994, I was shooting trap 3 times a week and going through 20 boxes of shells a week. When I bought my 682 Gold E back in 2001, I was shooting a heck of a lot too. Not 3 times a week, but at least 20 times a year while spending an entire day at the range each time. I still own both guns. Think I have around $3,500 into each of them. If I had more money back then I would have been better served by buying a DT-10. Then again, both of my 682 guns are still going strong and they will both outlive me. Heck, for the last decade I have been mostly using my 391 for skeet and sporting clays and only using the 682 at trap.

End of the day, the buy once, cry once thing applies to a degree.

Yeah, I could buy a NFA full auto M-16, but I would shoot that even less than I shoot my shotguns for clays and hunting nowadays. Full auto is sexy and all, but when would any of us realistically even use full auto. Even in a SHTF scenario, you wouldn't use a full auto for fear of running out of ammo. You would need a zombie apocalypse, civil war, or national invasion for full auto to be useful.

Buy whatever you can afford and that you feel good about buying. For me, the minimum would be the new Beretta 692 since it has replaceable hinge pins if you ever really, really, really get into the sport. At 12x of clay shooting a year, you are highly unlikely to wear out the hinge pins on a 686. The 687 might even have replaceable hinge pins. A used 682 will also serve you just fine for the rest of your life, as would a Caesar Guerini or a Browning (Yuck).

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Yeah, I could buy a NFA full auto M-16, but I would shoot that even less than I shoot my shotguns for clays and hunting nowadays. Full auto is sexy and all, but when would any of us realistically even use full auto.

Pro tip from a subgun owner: Have a place where you can definitely shoot the thing before you spend a penny on one. There are very few ranges that do.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Easy peasy.

Missed your post before I posted their online address.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    One of the reason I bought the used CG was that it fit me pretty well. It also has an adjustable comb for height and laterally and an adjustable recoil pad. The comb I have not adjusted. The recoil pad I have adjusted to have the barrels plumb when shouldered. The other selling point for the used CG was the one free "pit stop". I did use the pit stop and they replaced a long list of worn items, feels like a new gun. I also thought that if I wanted to sell it these same items for adjust-ability would make for additional potential buyers.

Maybe this has been covered, are you comfortable with your stance and gun mount?

Working at PG T&S, I get to see a LOT of messed up stances and mounts; I spend most of my day coaching new and new'ish shooters into the right neighborhood of both. Incredible how many people try to shoot right handed and yet try to line up their left eye with with the rib of the gun.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I am curious; I see shooters here who have said a Browning fits them but not a Beretta and vice versa. Has anyone ever tried a Caesar Guerini that would not fit them??

Not when you can get a free fitting from CG in Cambridge, MD. ;)

Sorry...had to chime in. :D

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    One of the reason I bought the used CG was that it fit me pretty well. It also has an adjustable comb for height and laterally and an adjustable recoil pad. The comb I have not adjusted. The recoil pad I have adjusted to have the barrels plumb when shouldered. The other selling point for the used CG was the one free "pit stop". I did use the pit stop and they replaced a long list of worn items, feels like a new gun. I also thought that if I wanted to sell it these same items for adjust-ability would make for additional potential buyers.

Maybe this has been covered, are you comfortable with your stance and gun mount?

Working at PG T&S, I get to see a LOT of messed up stances and mounts; I spend most of my day coaching new and new'ish shooters into the right neighborhood of both. Incredible how many people try to shoot right handed and yet try to line up their left eye with with the rib of the gun.

I don’t work for CG although I wish I did. Having said that, it’s worth mentioning in this thread that if you buy from an elite dealer, you get lifetime pit stops. Just wanted to add that bit of info.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I don’t work for CG although I wish I did. Having said that, it’s worth mentioning in this thread that if you buy from an elite dealer, you get lifetime pit stops. Just wanted to add that bit of info.

Cool, didn't know that. I figure I'm good for 200k to 300k rounds before another pit stop :) About 3000 into that since last pit stop.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I am curious; I see shooters here who have said a Browning fits them but not a Beretta and vice versa. Has anyone ever tried a Caesar Guerini that would not fit them??

The free fitting available from Caesar Guerini is worth the increase in cost of the CG. But a new CG will be out of your price range. The likelihood of a gun fitting you out of the box is slim. I feel every target gun should have an adjustable comb and butt plate if the stock is not custom. The second best option is Etchens. They have years and years of experience fitting these guns to people. I would recommend them over Barts. I agree with Fabs I recommend the Beretta over the Browning due to the design, the reliability, the longevity, availability of stocks, barrels and parts. Browning is notorious for taking a long time handling a warranty issue. Coleguns in FL and ME does warranty work for Beretta. They’re the go to people in the country for work on Berettas.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD

Good point there. Lifetime pit stops are worth good money to those planning on keeping the guns forever.

Just to add to the CG train. This is a pic of my CG next to my beretta A400 smurf gun. My son has taken over the beretta somehow. Lol.

b8467df41f4778c2bfb4d4d830fa9ab6.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Good point there. Lifetime pit stops are worth good money to those planning on keeping the guns forever.

Just to add to the CG train. This is a pic of my CG next to my beretta A400 smurf gun. My son has taken over the beretta somehow. Lol.

b8467df41f4778c2bfb4d4d830fa9ab6.jpg

Not only do you have to plan on keeping the gun a lifetime, but you have to plan on shooting a crapton of shells out of it to have things wear out on these high end o/u guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom