• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I thought this needed a new thread...this is a significant development....

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/f...uctive-devices-and-certain-other-firearms.pdf

CLEO_zps16716384.png

More....

http://blog.princelaw.com/2013/08/3...hecks-for-fictitious-entity-nfa-applications/

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Already being discussed in earnest here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=129101

You are at least a week late...No offense meant.

I did not see anything before today about them keeping CLEO signoff and that letter he has linked to is from yesterday. I think it deserves its own thread to itself as its not really not just about trusts... its about the fact that they no longer plan to eliminate it! Trust people are about to get seriously screwed in a lot of unfriendly states... Actually here in MD we are actually fairly lucky in this area.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This is HUGE in the MG world, as many many MGs are on Trusts in areas where the CLEO will not sign off. The only up side is that we are not in one of those states, yet, and so the demand will go down and maybe prices will follow...

I swear every day so more bad news to the gun community!

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I did not see anything before today about them keeping CLEO signoff and that letter he has linked to is from yesterday. I think it deserves its own thread to itself as its not really not just about trusts... its about the fact that they no longer plan to eliminate it! Trust people are about to get seriously screwed in a lot of unfriendly states... Actually here in MD we are actually fairly lucky in this area.

*knock on wood*

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

This is ALL part of the NFA Trust "loophole" issue, no one knew exactly what it was going to be until it got posted to the federal register. To me, this is an extension of the other thread, some may disagree, just my opinion (and we all know what those are worth these days).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Did you guys read that second sentence where the CLEO sign-off gets modified? It should help some people in certain places.

Also, this docco claims the NFATCA proposed that amendment. WTF?

Document also says that adding a person to your trust would require filling out a 5320.23 for them within 30 days. Looks like the photo/fingerprints requirement would be per transfer, too. :-P

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Did you guys read that second sentence where the CLEO sign-off gets modified? It should help some people in certain places.

Also, this docco claims the NFATCA proposed that amendment. WTF?

Document also says that adding a person to your trust would require filling out a 5320.23 for them within 30 days. Looks like the photo/fingerprints requirement would be per transfer, too. :-P

It looks like they modified the sign-off to ADD language. Now, not only does the CLEO attest that he doesn't have reason to believe you'll commit a crime with the NFA item, he also attests that you're not breaking any state or local laws.

This should further inhibit the CLEOs who will be willing to sign paperwork, because (for example), a state judge might not be comfortable saying that your NFA item doesn't violate a local law...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It looks like they modified the sign-off to ADD language. Now, not only does the CLEO attest that he doesn't have reason to believe you'll commit a crime with the NFA item, he also attests that you're not breaking any state or local laws.
    You misread that. Or, at least, that is not what the full paper says.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    You misread that. Or, at least, that is not what the full paper says.

One of us has, obviously. I'm not seeing anything which will make anything easier for people trying to purchase Class 3 items. If it did somehow, that would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom