• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    For some reason I had SBR on my mind, well that is where my UBR is and one may now know what confused me, SBR vs 18" 6.5 build ... two different animals. My SBR weighs in @ 10.6 lbs leaded, red dot, suppressed so I'll be testing the change in balance/dynamics using a much lighter stock soon, it's at it's winter weight :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The PRS is a good aid for some of those nose heavy rifles. Only drawback is their inherent long LOP. I've got a 71"+ reach and have my butt pad cranked all the way in.
    I run a PRS (using an RD adapter) on my VEPR-54R because the 8x Russian scope is both high and finicky about eye relief. It's super heavy, but it works like a charm.

I run a UBR on my M1A in a Troy stock with a 10x. It is also really heavy, but the cheek weld is quite nice. The current version of the UBR does not have support for cheek risers, so it's a bit of a non-starter for high-mounted scopes.

Finally, I run a Magpul fixed carbine stock on my CMMG Mk8 AR-308, which has a 3-9x FFP scope. This works perfectly, and does not add much weight to the rifle.

So, basically, all of these stocks have different optimal use cases. I would STRONGLY encourage people to consider simple fixed stocks when they're running scopes, as these are far lighter than many of the alternatives. The PRS and UBR are both excellent stocks, but the weight they add to the gun is not trivial.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would STRONGLY encourage people to consider simple fixed stocks when they're running scopes, as these are far lighter than many of the alternatives.

My other two scoped AR's do use fixed stocks. Actually, I like fixed stocks in general. I do feel that the UBR let's me have my cake and eat it too; stability of a fixed but will collapse for ease of adjustment and storage. Having some weight in the back is not a bad thing either for that 6.5 rig.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My other two scoped AR's do use fixed stocks. Actually, I like fixed stocks in general. I do feel that the UBR let's me have my cake and eat it too; stability of a fixed but will collapse for ease of adjustment and storage. Having some weight in the back is not a bad thing either for that 6.5 rig.

Now you know why I went with a UBR for my precision rifle and why I recommended it to you.

Something to think about for why I recommended it. :innocent0

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3200278&postcount=223

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom