• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    If you reload for the rifle, C.E. Harris did a bit of work with light loads for military rifles using cast and jacketed pistol bullets. I tried light loads in the .303 rifles I have and they were a lot of fun and suspect the penetration was fairly shallow. The load using a .32 jacketed hollow point with some Unique (if I recall correctly) was reasonably accurate at short ranges and didn't kick, sounded like a .22 Magnum being fired. Also loaded 123 grain SKS bullets in the .303 British that Harris called "snappy". I think he used most of the same or similar loads in most bolt action military rifles.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Wow. That’s a little like asking, “which 10 pound sledgehammer will do the least damage, if it’s dropped onto my thumb from 300 feet?”

You should not even be considering using 7.62x54R for home defense. End thread.

+100. A Mosin rifle is absurd overkill for HD. Insane overkill for a townhouse.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The talk of a mosin not being suitable for HD is a knee-jerk reaction. The proper statement is that factory loaded 54r ammo is not suitable. It has little to do w/ the rifle. Handloaded 54r could very well be suitable. Think slow lead or frangible ammo. At subsonic velocities its not really any different than 45ACP energy wise. I shoot plastic training 7.62x51 ammo from my HKs that has very little energy. A bolt action mosin would easily cycle anything you load for it. A carbine wouldn't be completely unweildy.

It is THE most suitable HD rifle? No. But if its all you have (remember these used to sell for CHEAP) then you could make ammo for it that IS suitable. If it's all I had, I'd rather stand at the top of my steps and point a bolt-action rifle at a bad guy than stand there w/ nothing but a cell-phone saying he better go home because I'm calling the cops.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Pretty sure he actually wants to build two pill boxes with these inside for enfilading crossfire.

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      8.8 KB · Views: 173

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At one level , Mosins were successfully used for inside dwelling combat various places from Stalingrad to Berlin , inclusive.

However , by modern expectations of both manuevability , and (over)penetration , the Mosin is waaaaay outside of modern parameters , with any commonly available factory loaded ammo .

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, the Czech training ammo. I have a crate set aside for someday when my son is a little older (he's 1). Not even sure if it can be found anymore, but here's a link.

http://www.ammochannel.com/7-62x54r-czech-46-gr-training-ammo/

Even that cleared through 1/4 mild steel, did serious penetration on half inch. Probably would go through 2 extra rented dwellings, not a good idea.

Someone mentioned Berlin, apples and oranges. :sad20:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Are serious?

I have a spamcan of ammo you can toss at the attackers head from an upper floor.

You shoot it, damn. Get a glock.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, the Czech training ammo. I have a crate set aside for someday when my son is a little older (he's 1). Not even sure if it can be found anymore, but here's a link.

http://www.ammochannel.com/7-62x54r-czech-46-gr-training-ammo/

Yes, Post #3.

I still have some but since I handload and even cast, I can still make low recoil ammo that is probably more accurate.

I still think my 7.62x25 in an adapter is the lowest penetrating factory solution out there. PPU makes a HP version. About as impractical as it comes though.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/prvi-pa...ev-85-gr-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50.html

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449008

I have a conversion insert and I shot it once at an indoor range with a friend who immigrated from Russia

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck , chamber adaptor in .32acp then ( yes, that's a thing) . ( Insert several handload brain storms .)

But seriously -

If all you have / have reasonably available is a full power .30cal rifle , then full power .30cal rifle is also your defensive rifle . Feel confidence in the positive attributes ( power, range ) . Plan your stratagies to mitigate the challenges ( lots of penetration, and Mosin specific unwieldy).

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Yes, Post #3.

I still have some but since I handload and even cast, I can still make low recoil ammo that is probably more accurate.

I still think my 7.62x25 in an adapter is the lowest penetrating factory solution out there. PPU makes a HP version. About as impractical as it comes though.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/prvi-pa...ev-85-gr-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50.html

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449008

I have a conversion insert and I shot it once at an indoor range with a friend who immigrated from Russia

My apologies. How well does the 7.62x25 adapter work? I have seen a couple advertised previously but I remain dubious of their quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom