• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I know that you can't use 5.56 in the rifles unless the barrel is marked otherwise it will destroy the barrel.

So, can I load my magazines with both 5.55 and .223? will it do anything to the mag
    :tinfoil2:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Nope. Good to go. Though a PMag can stretch out the feed lips I’ve heard, without the mag retainer clip now provided on the Gen 3Mags. Heard the older plastic mags will stretch out if kept loaded for extended periods of time. I have no experience with this, just what I read.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Why does post seem like a 2010 flashback?

You can use either in a AR mag. The feed lip stretch is a myth. Magpul and few others have tested this by leaving a magpul loaded for months (which then evolved to 2-3 years) with no problem. New gen 2 are no longer sold with the now named "impact/dust cover".

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also, likely won’t destroy a .223 Barrel firing 5.56 through it.

It is not a good idea to do regularly. Likely causes higher than SAMMI pressures because of the fractionally smaller chamber. A few or even a few hundred rounds probably would be okay. Will likely cause higher fatigue of the metal. A badly made barrel that is also slightly tighter than spec could cause serious problems.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

It is not a good idea to do regularly. Likely causes higher than SAMMI pressures because of the fractionally smaller chamber. A few or even a few hundred rounds probably would be okay. Will likely cause higher fatigue of the metal. A badly made barrel that is also slightly tighter than spec could cause serious problems.

What are you going on about? You will not destroy a 223 barrel using 5.56. Although pressures will be higher than with the same ammo in a 5.56 or wylde barrel.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sticking with the AR-15 pattern arms, the big issue with firing 5.56 in 223 chambers is with the use of heavier bullets in 5.56 loadings. The longer bullets jam into the barrel/chamber leade, elevating pressures. But as the caveat goes...no 5.56 in 223 chambers.

What others said about mags...load both.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Higher pressures in 5.56? A myth. The two rounds are measured pressure-wise, differently.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

I had seen that. But doesn’t, normally, the smaller chamber of the .223 cause higher pressure loaded with 5.56 rounds?

I know the actual pressure tests are done differently between CUP and SAMMI PSI testing and they are basically the same.

I doubt any .223 Barrel has exploded from 5.56 bullets. Higher pressures would result in faster wear. Supposing you end up with a combination that actually causes higher pressures.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had seen that. But doesn’t, normally, the smaller chamber of the .223 cause higher pressure loaded with 5.56 rounds?

I know the actual pressure tests are done differently between CUP and SAMMI PSI testing and they are basically the same.

I doubt any .223 Barrel has exploded from 5.56 bullets. Higher pressures would result in faster wear. Supposing you end up with a combination that actually causes higher pressures.

Shorter leade.

I can't nor won't go as far as to say you can shoot any 5.56 through a .223 AR barrel, but the bigger danger lies when shooting 5.56 through a .223 bolt gun. AR barrels are inherently robust.

I do not build ARs in .223. All mine are 5.56.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

AR barrels are designed to shoot 223 or 556 without causing issues. The only difference between a 223 barrel and 556 barrel is the leade. Nothing more. Look up the dimensions of 223 and 556 cases, you are in for a surprise.

Actually, I'm in a good mood today, so I'll help you out on your quest for information.

556x45mm-NATO-cartridge-dimensions.jpg

400px-.223_Remington.jpg

Both for comparison.

223vs556-e1446155529154.jpg

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    If there's a discussion of 223 vs 5.56 differences I was wondering if something could get cleared up...

People have explained chamber dimensional difference and the concept of SAAMI vs NATO pressure measurement. That's all cool. However: there are lots of Wylde chambered AR barrels out there with a chamber dimensionally half-way between the two. There are Wylde reamers for sale out there too.

Has anyone used Wylde reamers in a bolt action barrel? Is there a good reason not to do this?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As mentioned, there is a difference in the leade in a 5.56 barrel vs .223 Rem. There is also a headspace difference in ,223 and 5.56.

.223 GO Headspace is 1.4636
    5.56 GO Headspace is 1.4646

Guns with a 5.56 leade and a 1.4636 Headspace that are fired with 5.56 will usually exhibit pressure indicators on the brass. Headspace matters in an AR. I have lapped enough AR bolts with shorter than 1.4646 or equal to 1.4636 that wouldnt function just because headspace was short. Short headspace does not equal accuracy or reliability.

There is also Wylde Chambers, CLE Chambers, and Noveske MOD 0 Chambers.

As far as magazines go. Diversify. Not all lowers will work with all mags. Some mags will allow malfuntions on certain ammo. For instance some Alunimum mags and surefire 60/90's dont like steel cased ammo.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Has anyone used Wylde reamers in a bolt action barrel? Is there a good reason not to do this?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Some have chambered bolt guns with the Wylde reamer. I know of no good reason not to but, I know of no good reason to do so either. I prefer tighter match chambers in my guns. Being a handloader, it is my experience that the brass lasts longer when fired from a tighter chamber, due to the web area of the case being worked less.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Some have chambered bolt guns with the Wylde reamer. I know of no good reason not to but, I know of no good reason to do so either.

Ok, so here's the context: say I have a 223 bolt that I'd like to see shoot 5.56 safely. I'm not really expecting ridiculous accuracy anyway, and won't be handloading. What will I truly lose by reaming the chamber?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Oh, sure, that was the plan. I'll probably keep the reamer and reuse it on future chambers though.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

:sad20:

Reality check:

You do it yourself and you screw up in the slightest, you just made a hand grenade that will be about 6-8 inches from your face. Or you will have destroyed a rifle, because the chamber dimensions are way off, due to reaming out too much.

I can continue going on about the possible outcomes, but I don't think that would be conducive to the discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom