• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    So I went to jefferson archery in frederick and they were great. I got to shoot both recurve and compound. I really enjoyed the recurve. The compound bow didnt feel like a bow, it was like frankenstein even though the break was really nice. Anyone shoot recurve here for hunting?

Unfortuanetly I am a lefty so they only had one but could order more. Great shop.

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    Really depend on what you want to use if for. I grew up using a recurve and it was awesome to target practice with. An older gentleman down the street was a master craftsman and use to make the most beautiful bows. Taught me how to make bow strings and fletch arrows too. The problem with hunting comes when you have to hold the draw for a length of time. The compound wins hands down with its drop off of hold lbs at full draw. For practice and sheer beauty the recurve wins hands down. :)

briwayjones

I would check out Lancaster Archery up in PA. They have the best selection and people around. And they will have more that you can see and try out that is left handed. I'm also left handed. I have a recurve but shoot a compound. But unlike most compound shooters I shoot it barebow like a recurve. No sights, finger release.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    I would check out Lancaster Archery up in PA. They have the best selection and people around. And they will have more that you can see and try out that is left handed. I'm also left handed. I have a recurve but shoot a compound. But unlike most compound shooters I shoot it barebow like a recurve. No sights, finger release.

I agree go see the guys at LAS. Large inventory and awesome to deal with.

scottymd

Mar 2, 2013
    MoCo Ag zone
    A recurve takes a whole lot more practice than a compound bow especially at hunting weights. There are many different types of compound bows too. Tim at the Gun Shack in Mt Airy is awesome to deal with and great at setting up bows and helping you out. I would suggest you take your time and look at all of your options. I have a great assortment but I am right handed so other that advise I don't have anything for you to try.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The recurve bow was 45lbs and I was able to put groups at 30 feet inthe circle consistenly and I have never shot a bow. I like the simplicity of the recurve. The compound was nice but more techy.

scottymd

Mar 2, 2013
    MoCo Ag zone
    Techy isn't necessarily a bad thing since you will need to triple that distance for a lot of hunting situations and sometimes hold a draw for an extended period of time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Old School is just as good as it ever was , and simplicity has an appeal in itself. If you like it you like it.

Maybe 2015 will be my year to get back into archery.

RangerWillrett

Jun 20, 2011
    Mineral Co WV
    with practice you can shoot a recurve or long bow just as good as anyone with a compound. When I finally move out of this stupid state I will have some targets setup in my yard so I can shoot more then I do now. I hope to get up to about a 80 pound long bow but I will go heavier if possible.

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Recurves are great but at 45lbs it's a bit light for whitetail. The biggest issue is going to be distance, I can shoot 40 yards all day with a compound and kill deer, arrow is moving at close to 280fps.....with a recurve set at 45lbs, mich more than 10-15 yards deer will jump the string all day long.

Don't get me wrong, I love recurves and long bows, but pull 62lns on both and never shoot more than 20 yards, so just keep all of that in mind.

Much bigger learning curve with stick and string than training wheels.

As I say, I hunt with stick and string, I kill with compounds. There is a difference.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Recurves and longbows throwing a heavy wood arrow around 180 fps will kill deer just fine and the arrow will usually pass thru and stick in the ground- just dont shoot too far, 20-30 yards is enough-often from a tree stand the shot is 5-10 yards. If you learn to shoot instictive(no sights) you can always switch to a compound, I have always found trad archery just to be more fun -, and you dont have to buy a new one every couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom