• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    A driver that rams into a car because they think that driver is blocking their path is probably dumb enough to keep their foot on the gas when an officer shows up. It's easy to imagine a situation in which the car was continuing to present a threat, so the officer quickly smacks the window out with the gun(because they may not have had the luxury of time to reach for another object but the gun was already in his hands), to pop the door from the inside, and drag the driver out/whatever the situation required.

The discharge may have been an oopsie, but it doesn't mean the officer's action are criminal. Given the situation, the officer's actions could be EASY to justify.

Yes but the discharge is still negligent. This time he hit the perp "on accident". What if next time its a bystander, or if the round goes off into the air and its some kid riding his bike 1 block a way when the bullet lands. I understand the stress of the situation, but the officer also has to be responsible for his actions regardless of outcome.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There is nothing in that article that says the person driving the Escalade actually rammed the Camry, other than that is what the 911 caller said. We just went through a thread where a 911 caller said he shot his father to death and he was holding his mother and sister hostage, which was completely false. The driver of the Escalade was not charged with a crime whatsoever. So, the driver of the Escalade could not have been doing something that God awful.

Like most news stories nowadays, a lot of the facts, if not all of the facts, are missing. Luckily, there is body camera footage that shows this was an accidental shooting. Whether it amounts to gross negligence such that the Escalade driver can recover under a civil suit remains to be seen. Eventually the majority of the evidence will be known by an attorney, but it will probably never be known to us unless this actually goes to trial and we happen to be on the jury.
    Nothing in the article ehh? ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180117-231227.jpg
      Screenshot_20180117-231227.jpg
      89.4 KB · Views: 216

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Nothing in the article ehh? ;-)

He saw an Escalade driving up against the back of a Camry.

Why does the article not say, "Ramming a Camry"? That is what the 911 caller said. Why change the verbiage afterward. The article could have said, "The responding officer confirmed what the 911 caller had reported, and witnessed the Escalade repeatedly ramming the Camry." What does driving up against the back of a Camry mean? Leaves plenty to my imagination. Was it merely driving up toward the back of the Camry. Was it literally driving up the back of the Camry with the wheels of the Escalade actually on top of the Camry? So, I have my doubts as to whether there was any "ramming" going on.

We'll know for sure what it was when the body camera footage is released or when there is a report with better use of the English language in it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    He saw an Escalade driving up against the back of a Camry.

Why does the article not say, "Ramming a Camry"? That is what the 911 caller said. Why change the verbiage afterward. The article could have said, "The responding officer confirmed what the 911 caller had reported, and witnessed the Escalade repeatedly ramming the Camry." What does driving up against the back of a Camry mean? Leaves plenty to my imagination. Was it merely driving up toward the back of the Camry. Was it literally driving up the back of the Camry with the wheels of the Escalade actually on top of the Camry? So, I have my doubts as to whether there was any "ramming" going on.

We'll know for sure what it was when the body camera footage is released or when there is a report with better use of the English language in it.
    I mean, he drew his gun and immediately ran to the escalade soooo...

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Why does the article not say, "Ramming a Camry"? That is what the 911 caller said. Why change the verbiage afterward.

Because frequently, the gap between facts and what is said to dispatch is of a size comparable to the Grand Canyon (albeit more bereft of natural beauty)?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Someone ought to patent a handcuff key slash tungsten carbide center punch with the form factor of a uniform pen for cops.

I carried a center punch in the pocket of my turnout coat as well (along with wood wedges, personal rescue rope, a mag light and a few other things). It always worked.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Someone ought to patent a handcuff key slash tungsten carbide center punch with the form factor of a uniform pen for cops.

I carried a center punch in the pocket of my turnout coat as well (along with wood wedges, personal rescue rope, a mag light and a few other things). It always worked.

Too small of a tool to even be thought about while under stress of dealing with a non compliant who is behind the wheel. Hell, ASP or any expandable baton company can make an end cap with a carbide tooth on the end for that. Since most go to their baton.

In these situations sometimes there's just a synapse that interferes with cool thinking. I knew a cop who on a traffic stop had a car pull away as he approached and just out of the blue he drew his gun and took a pot shot at a tire. I can totally understand how someone can use whatever in their hand as an impact tool.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Pistol and holster
    expandable baton
    flashlight
    Tourniquet
    latex glove pack
    1 set, many time 2 sets of cuffs
    OC spray
    Taser
    2, maybe 3 extra mags
    cell phone/keys holder
    radio

All that is just the belt.

Creds in 1 pocket, personal wallet in another, knife in one front pocket. notepad and pens in shirt pockets, etc...

Vest. Maybe a back up on the ankle. Maybe body cam.

Now, where in the hell is there room for a punch? So easy to ask "Why don't cops carry a window punch?".

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Pistol and holster
    expandable baton
    flashlight
    Tourniquet
    latex glove pack
    1 set, many time 2 sets of cuffs
    OC spray
    Taser
    2, maybe 3 extra mags
    cell phone/keys holder
    radio

All that is just the belt.

Creds in 1 pocket, personal wallet in another, knife in one front pocket. notepad and pens in shirt pockets, etc...

Vest. Maybe a back up on the ankle. Maybe body cam.

Now, where in the hell is there room for a punch? So easy to ask "Why don't cops carry a window punch?".

I typed this up too and then decided not to lol. for us you have to add body camera, camera mount, and giant cell phone (also personal cell phone). Oh an mic survelliance ear piece kit (I HATE THAT DAMN THING) and shirt clipped radio mic.

You forgot our mandated TECC kids. If you AR certified a drop leg pouch with two additional mags and the host of other random stuff people don't know about that were issued and hence required like the H1N1 kits. All of this is supposed to be on you and a lot of departments don't allow BDU pants.

I am very adverse to all the stuff were required to carry because it makes you immobile. We got a new female a few months ago, and she is petite. EVERYTHING on her duty belt is touching, I am amazed that she can even move, let alone get in and out of a scout car. I give her credit!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    maybe all the stuff is covert means to slow you guys down so the dindonuffins can escape. I've only seen one guy get away on Cops - and he pulled a trick by going through a trap door in a fence. All the others eventually got pounced on.

I'm still thinking guy in SUV was non-responsive to orders and officer was going to drag him out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom