• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    That is a pretty lofty goal. The military standard for a prone supported group is roughly 1 inch at 25 yards, or about 4 MOA-ish if you bother to confirm zero at 100, 200, or 300 yards (depending on what sights/optics you are using). For offhand, I don't think doubling that (or even a bit more) would be ridiculous. Something around 8-10 MOA with iron sights or even a red dot seems like a good starting goal for off hand. That's still going to hit a man sized target at 200 yards most of the time.

I guess taken out of context my response was not totally clear. I agree with you. See post #8 above.

I actually think the OP posed a great question. I didn’t realize it a few years ago when I got my first AR but I had a lot of the same questions myself.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I'll take a slightly different angle on this. First, find out what mechanically the rifle / ammo combination is capable of. You'll never be able to shoot better than that anyway. Then, ASPIRE to shoot to that regardless of your shooting position. You'll probably never get there, but that's what I'd ASPIRE to.

My point being...that until you consistently shoot to the capability of the rifle/ammo combo, there is room for your improvement. We should all strive to constantly improve over time. For me, there is still lots of room to improve :)

If the question is what is considered a "good" or "competent" level of marksmanship, I think that's been covered.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I guess taken out of context my response was not totally clear. I agree with you. See post #8 above.

I actually think the OP posed a great question. I didn’t realize it a few years ago when I got my first AR but I had a lot of the same questions myself.
    It looks like I was the one who was unclear, because I was actually agreeing with you :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am with the posts of, it depends on what you want or need to do.

In close quarters, 10 - 15 MOA may be sufficient. For precision long range shooting, 1 MOA might be needed. But the first is FAST with no rest, the second is less speed, supported.

CMP High Power target black is 6 MOA out to 600 yards. A good starting point is all in the black.

2 MOA standing unsupported, and you can win any match you enter.

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    The ten ring of service rifle targets is 3 MOA. So, if you can hit within 3 MOA from prone, sitting, and standing, you'll be okay.

The X ring is a wee bit smaller.

Attachments

• AR Target 4 Jan 2014.bmp
      208.8 KB · Views: 142

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I am with the posts of, it depends on what you want or need to do.

In close quarters, 10 - 15 MOA may be sufficient. For precision long range shooting, 1 MOA might be needed. But the first is FAST with no rest, the second is less speed, supported.

CMP High Power target black is 6 MOA out to 600 yards. A good starting point is all in the black.

2 MOA standing unsupported, and you can win any match you enter.

Not to take away from your point, but in my own experience, when I was starting out I really had no idea of what was good or bad. I just knew I wanted to aspire to be better than where I was.

It seemed that each time I learned something new or improved my existing equipment or added a new gun the aspirations kept moving. In some respects this is the part I’ve enjoyed the most. I had no idea what a 3 Gun match, IDPA, PRS, CMP was before I purchased my first gun. Now I aspire to try them all.

The real unanswered question that the OP might consider is how you know when you are “there”.

Maybe the ride is the best part.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I aspire to putting them all through the same hole. I have not reached my aspiration but I have a lot of fun trying.

Last edited:

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Any thoughts on what accuracy level a recreational AR 15 shooter should aspire to? Distance, target size, standing, sitting with a rifle rest, #of rounds which should hit target, etc.?
    All responses are appreciated.

Marine and Army units in Fallujah in the 2006 time frame were under investigation for taking out targets using M16s at 500 meters with headshots. While I am not sure the longest kill is, I am sure it is around that distance.

I guess a hadji head at 500m....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom