Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM #61

I have a 16" COLT HBar barrel

I have a 16" COLT HBar barrel marked C MP 1/9 HBAR 5.56 NATO, not threaded, if this helps, it's a couple years old, post 2013 and MD compliant. I'm not sure of the price but it will be reasonable. Also with it the gas tube, tower, Delta ring and handguard. Actually it belongs to my son and for whatever the reasons when he changed barrel lengths or something you also have to change the other parts because they're different lengths. I'm not an AR man, more Winchester but I have a New Colt C.A.R. Elite $1300 and HBar flat top like new $1000 for sale on ArmsList and will have this barrel and the Colts with me for sale at the Bel Air Gun Show February 2-4.
pre64hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM #62
Rebel looking for a cause

Rebel looking for a cause

A 16" barrel out to 200m at sub MOA? I don't know. I think that's asking a lot from a carbine.

Les Baer Custom makes a 20" and says: "Like our Super Varmint Model, our new AR .223 Super Match Model is built with the same care and precision as a super-accurate bolt action bench rest rifle...but it's semi-auto! We guarantee 1/2 MOA groups on this superior target rifle." Baer is well known for the accuracy of his guns. I have a .308 from him and it's awesome! (The only downside to Baer's products is they're picky eaters.)

I bought a 20" match stainless steel fluted barrel upper from J and T Distributing, Winchester, KY (1-859-745-1757). I put it on an LMT match lower (trigger) and shoot it with and without a suppressor out to 200m. I can darn near put 2 in the same hole. And, unlike Les Baer, mine's not picky about what it eats. - The twist is 1:8 and I find 62gr factory loads gives me the most bang for the buck. (Not brand specific. = Doesn't require Federal Match.)

Any upper that does NOT have a bayonet lug and the barrel does NOT have a notch for the grenade launcher AND the barrel is NOT a "thin" or light barrel meets MDSP regs. - Any good match upper (target or sniper models) won't have that stuff anyway. That stuff serves no purpose. (It's just supposed to make you look cool.)

Good luck.

Last edited by rooster; Yesterday at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM #63
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
A 16" barrel out to 200m at sub MOA? I don't know. I think that's asking a lot from a carbine.

Les Baer Custom makes a 20" and says: "Like our Super Varmint Model, our new AR .223 Super Match Model is built with the same care and precision as a super-accurate bolt action bench rest rifle...but it's semi-auto! We guarantee 1/2 MOA groups on this superior target rifle." Baer is well known for the accuracy of his guns. I have a .308 from him and it's awesome! (The only downside to Baer's products is they're picky eaters.)

I bought a 20" match stainless steel fluted barrel upper from J and T Distributing, Winchester, KY (1-859-745-1757). I put it on an LMT match lower (trigger) and shoot it with and without a suppressor out to 200m. I can darn near put 2 in the same hole. And, unlike Les Baer, mine's not picky about what it eats.

Any upper (barrel) that does NOT have a bayonet lug and a notch for the grenade launcher AND is not a "thin" barrel meets MDSP regs. - Any good match upper (target or sniper models) won't have that stuff because that stuff serves no purpose. (It just looks cool.)

Good luck.
There's not really a reason a 16" barrel wouldn't be as accurate as a 20" at 200 yards. Given a barrel thickness, the shorter barrel would actually be stiffer, with less motion in resonance. There's a bit of velocity loss, but nothing that really matters at 200 yards.

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
There's not really a reason a 16" barrel wouldn't be as accurate as a 20" at 200 yards. Given a barrel thickness, the shorter barrel would actually be stiffer, with less motion in resonance. There's a bit of velocity loss, but nothing that really matters at 200 yards.

Major03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles