• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Until I find something better, a S35VN Sebenza for office usage or an Umnumzaan if I want to use the knife as a pry bar, screwdriver, fixed blade, throwing knife, and hacker.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Spyderco Rescue for all the reasons alucard listed about the tenacious.

I had a rescue when I worked in the shop, bought it about 15 years ago, beat the hell out of it, cutting boxes, bushings, tie wraps, valve stems, basically everything. I chipped half of the serrations off, and usually sharpened it with a die grinder or file, recently found it, the serrations were so beat, I ground a plain edge, now with about 1/2 the blade gone, and still use it to cut up boxes on trash day.

The Tenacious is my first full flat ground serrated blade, and I love it. The edge angle is very shallow, about 20 degrees, of course chisel ground so it's only 20 degrees inclusive. The serrations are especially deep and pointy compared to their sabre or hollow ground blades, and far and above any serrations Kershaw or benchmade use. It will shave paper and push cut like a razor, but you can still saw through anything, it is probably inch for inch the most capable slicer I have used. The knife is well made and well designed, the only drawback is the steel, it curls the edge relatively easily, although hasn't chipped, or rust pitted as some of my older 8cr14mov blades tended to do but holds an edge just as good, so spyderco must have gotten a good batch and treated it well. I really wish they would offer more FFG serrated blades, or the tenacious with better steel, but for the price if it gets too raggedy, I can just buy another one. I am a bit more hesitant to buy a pricey serrated knife though, unlike a plain edge where I can easily sharpen or fix most small dings to the edge, it is near impssible for me to regrind a serrated edge and make it as uniformly good as the factory can do, I can strop it, and even hone it a bit, but itf it's something like a tooth broken off, then I either live with it, or buy another. I do not like combo edges, the serrated portion is too short, and inboard where you have the most power and control for a plain edge pushcut, plain edges need more blade to slice compared to serrated, so the plain belly doesn't slice as well as serrated, but is also shortened compared to a full plain edge. THe only thing they do well is to initiate a tear with the teeth, then allow the plain edge to slice, like cutting rope, however IMO they aren't as good as either plain or full serrated, and useless unless you have a large 6"+ knife with enough room for both.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Benchmade 942. It has the partially serrated blade, which I do not prefer, but it was so hard to find either style, I went with what was available. For small stuff on the job or around the house, it's fine.

Used to carry a Benchmade 710, but it made folks at work kinda nervous. (Hospital).

Love the Axis locks.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    My new EDC since I lost my Benchmade Barrage. :mad54:

It's a left-handed Spyderco Military. It's a pretty big knife for EDC, but surprisingly thin and light weight.

b3c042a9-f14b-4f7e-a622-d9d766098832_zps58a3cf71.jpg

I've decided I'll never pay over $150 for an EDC again. I'd love to get a lefty Sebenza, but would be really upset if I lost it; I'm already pissed about the Benchmade, and it's less than 1/2 the price of a Sebenza.

ETA: Woo hoo! Found my Benchmade. Other than a bent clip, it's fine.

Last edited:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Benchmade 942. It has the partially serrated blade, which I do not prefer, but it was so hard to find either style, I went with what was available. For small stuff on the job or around the house, it's fine.

Used to carry a Benchmade 710, but it made folks at work kinda nervous. (Hospital).

Love the Axis locks.

Pretty sure benchmade will replace the blade for a nominal fee. (~$25-35).

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD

Depending on the situation they will do it for free, but unless the blade is broken there is no need to. Benchmade's Lifesharp does NOT sharpen serrations but they are very easy to sharpen with a basic tool like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Most of the wear on coated blades is more cosmetic than functional, as these coatings are baked into the blades giving them additional corrosion resistance even if the coating itself is worn.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

I like the look of the plain blade, but I'm coming to appreciate the utility of the serrated section. But thanks for the tip.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Usually a Benchmade Mel Pardue Griptillian, Multitool has a thin blade, and a cheap flat razor cutter for general use and when someone asks to borrow a knife.
    kruger4wy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom