Has there been a law suit claiming that the hql fees constitute infringement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    I got rid of my pistols awhile back and now own none. So I'd get a new one but the hql process (classes, application, foots, FEES) is prohibitive. There's a real argument that a person who doesnt have a lot of money can't afford to legally jump through the hoops and pay the money to get a pistol. Has the HQL law and fees been challenged in court. I know our liberal legislature won't ever get rid of the hql requirement. But the courts could rule the law unconstitutional.

The same holds true for concealed carry permit. I think it's fundamentally wrong that the government can tell us that we can't carry a firearm when we're out and about. I know I'm preaching to the choir. Vent over.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I fully agree, the law is classist/racist but don't think it has ever been challenged as such.

If you have standing and can find a lawyer think about moving forward. Depending on cost and viability I think you could get financial support for it.
    Never know till you try.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    This was all brought up in testimony against the law in 2013. Its very much is a disenfranchisement of poor communities which is typically also minority and underserved communities. A lawsuit on these grounds would be a good challenge but I have no idea of its likelyhood of success. Perhaps with the right plaintiff with the right fact pattern...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    MSI has a lawsuit filed against the State in regard to the HQL. The case is still going forward.
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...lawsuit-victory-against-the-motion-to-dismiss

Judge's order on refusing to dismiss the case against the state here:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ents/18-hql-memorandum-and-order-re-dismissal

If you're not a member of MSI yet, you can join here:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join

If there's any questions you have or if there's something you think you may be able to help us with, drop a line at info@marylandshallissue.org

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I got rid of my pistols awhile back and now own none. So I'd get a new one but the hql process (classes, application, foots, FEES) is prohibitive. There's a real argument that a person who doesnt have a lot of money can't afford to legally jump through the hoops and pay the money to get a pistol. Has the HQL law and fees been challenged in court. I know our liberal legislature won't ever get rid of the hql requirement. But the courts could rule the law unconstitutional.

The same holds true for concealed carry permit. I think it's fundamentally wrong that the government can tell us that we can't carry a firearm when we're out and about. I know I'm preaching to the choir. Vent over.
    We should talk. Please shoot me an email at mpennak@marylandshallissue.org with your contact info. Thx

We should talk. Please shoot me an email at mpennak@marylandshallissue.org with your contact info. Thx

Amigo109- Please reach out to Esqappellate. He is the president of Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) and the man who is at the forefront of the HQL lawsuit discriminating against people with low/fixed income.
    For many of us, the money, effort and travel for an HQL is a pain and costs our "fun money" for a few weeks/months. There are others who would have to miss meals or not buy needed children's clothing in order to get a HQL. These are the people MSI needs to join the lawsuit.
    The HQL discriminates against poor people. Regardless of race, the single parent with three kids earning $11hr can't realistically buy a handgun to protect their family in Maryland.

EDIT- If you are a person damaged by this law and wish to pursue it with MSI, I will pay for your MSI membership for a year.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    People who can't afford the HQL costs can't afford the lawyer fees to file suit.

The courts will tell you if you don't pay the fee then you don't have standing.

Then, if you pay the fee, they'll say you can obviously afford it and weren't harmed.

Fees are pretty difficult to fight against unless it's 1000 dollars or more. The 2nd Circuit allowed NYC's 340 dollar fee. That tells you all you need to know.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    MSI has a lawsuit filed against the State in regard to the HQL. The case is still going forward.
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...lawsuit-victory-against-the-motion-to-dismiss

Judge's order on refusing to dismiss the case against the state here:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ents/18-hql-memorandum-and-order-re-dismissal

If you're not a member of MSI yet, you can join here:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join

If there's any questions you have or if there's something you think you may be able to help us with, drop a line at info@marylandshallissue.org

Checking out the MSI website now. I've seen a lot of people reference it on this site, but wasn't 100% sure what it was. In my line of work, it's an acronym that means something else.

mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    It was a burden for me, I had to do it in steps. Coming back from disability, having sold my pre-2013 pistol, it was tough.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Amigo109- Please reach out to Esqappellate. He is the president of Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) and the man who is at the forefront of the HQL lawsuit discriminating against people with low/fixed income.
    For many of us, the money, effort and travel for an HQL is a pain and costs our "fun money" for a few weeks/months. There are others who would have to miss meals or not buy needed children's clothing in order to get a HQL. These are the people MSI needs to join the lawsuit.
    The HQL discriminates against poor people. Regardless of race, the single parent with three kids earning $11hr can't realistically buy a handgun to protect their family in Maryland.

EDIT- If you are a person damaged by this law and wish to pursue it with MSI, I will pay for your MSI membership for a year.

That's mighty kind of you to offer to pay the MSI dues. I did reach out to escapellate but I dont think I'm poor enough to help him/ help out with the lawsuit. We're tight on money but not destitute. I can afford the fees it's just a burden. When I spend a couple hundred bucks, that means I'm also giving something up, like maybe no eating out for a few months. But it's a choice. Like a lot of middle class, we dont have much extra, but we do have some luxuries like cable TV, cell phones, occasionally eat out or go to the movies, sports memberships for the kids and some music lessons. Etc.

I wish I hadn't sold my pre 2013 pistols, that would have made things easier. I didnt even realize what a hassle it would be and how the laws had changed when I let them go.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Checking out the MSI website now. I've seen a lot of people reference it on this site, but wasn't 100% sure what it was. In my line of work, it's an acronym that means something else.

Yes, they fight unconstitutional laws and make motherboards.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Thank you very much. I hope you liked what you saw.

Yes, they fight unconstitutional laws and make motherboards.

We like our coffee black, just like our metal.
    (NSFW language)

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Though I don't need one to purchase a handgun, I personally equate it to a "Poll Tax". You can't participate unless you pay.

mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    Though I don't need one to purchase a handgun, I personally equate it to a "Poll Tax". You can't participate unless you pay.

Exactly. If they made you pay $50 to vote every five years, people would lose their minds. But "because gun owners," its no BFD.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Exactly. What other right does anyone have to pay to take a course, pay a fee to the state and pass a background check so that they have permission to fill out an application, pay a fee and pass another background check just to be able to exercise!:mad54:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Exactly. What other right does anyone have to pay to take a course, pay a fee to the state and pass a background check so that they have permission to fill out an application, pay a fee and pass another background check just to be able to exercise!:mad54:

To carry a hand gun in Maryland in addition you have to prove you have a reason that a bureaucrat gets to decide if it is good enough along with a number of other hoops to jump through.

That's mighty kind of you to offer to pay the MSI dues. I did reach out to escapellate but I dont think I'm poor enough to help him/ help out with the lawsuit. We're tight on money but not destitute. I can afford the fees it's just a burden. When I spend a couple hundred bucks, that means I'm also giving something up, like maybe no eating out for a few months. But it's a choice. Like a lot of middle class, we dont have much extra, but we do have some luxuries like cable TV, cell phones, occasionally eat out or go to the movies, sports memberships for the kids and some music lessons. Etc.

I wish I hadn't sold my pre 2013 pistols, that would have made things easier. I didnt even realize what a hassle it would be and how the laws had changed when I let them go.

It sound like we grew up in similar situations. We both understand the highlighted info above are actual luxuries- not necessities.
    Keep up the good parenting- you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom