• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    In celebration of "Wear Orange Weekend," the county's Moms Demand Action chapter set up shop at the Frederick Festival of the Arts to raise awareness about gun violence.

Susan Smith, a leader of the local chapter, said the organization wanted to have a booth at the arts festival because the large turnout for the event would allow for more outreach.

"It's an opportunity to bring awareness to the national problem of gun violence," Smith said. "Thirty-five thousand people in this country have their lives cut short every year. And there are even more who are injured."

Smith said the organization wanted to put an added emphasis on the lives that have been lost due to suicides. The Moms Demand Action chapter wanted to be sure families knew they were supported and that victims were recognized and honored, she said.

Although the rain likely deterred some folks from attending the festival, the organization's 20 volunteers handed out orange ribbons and "wear orange" stickers while also hosting a photo booth for visitors to take photos in orange gear.

The booth featured a banner created by local students where visitors could post their thoughts on gun violence.

Tara Treacy, one of the chapter's volunteers, helped Sunday in her second event with the chapter. She first volunteered at the Children's Festival, where she assisted at the organization's "Be SMART" booth, which promotes safe gun ownership. The organization uses an acronym to advocate for securing firearms in the house, recognizing the risks of teen suicide, and other responsible gun ownership behaviors.

"It was pretty eye-opening to hear from so many folks about gun ownership," Treacy said. "It was great to hear about how and why they own guns, and the importance of being responsible with their guns."

Treacy began her involvement with the organization shortly after the shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando. She lived in Tallahassee at the time, and her brother was attending University of Central Florida in Orlando.

"I just felt so helpless when that happened," Treacy said. "So I knew it was time to act."

Melissa Kreidel had a similar experience call her to action. Kreidel, who has lived in Frederick for three years, wore a "MSD strong" shirt Sunday, showing support for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which endured a school shooting Feb. 14 in which 17 people died.

Kreidel's sister was in the building that day.

"I just felt like I had to do something," said Kreidel. "This organization made sense because it gives you tangible things you can do to make a difference."

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hmmm...

Attachments

• Husbands Won't Touch Them.jpg
      Husbands Won't Touch Them.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 1,117

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    What percentage of the "Moms" are moms?

They wouldn't engage in cultural appropriation, would they?

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    And what they conveniently left off is that those orange ribbons were illegally tied with info cards to the parking meters around downtown. On top of that I was talking to Bob at Gunrunners and he said someone covered his sidewalk sign with their stickers and info cards. Now I can't say they did it, but I can say that materials they provided were used in these ways.

I keep telling my mom to start a group "Mothers demand Moms stop demanding action". These Mom's need their Mothers to tell them to stop.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    And what they conveniently left off is that those orange ribbons were illegally tied with info cards to the parking meters around downtown. On top of that I was talking to Bob at Gunrunners and he said someone covered his sidewalk sign with their stickers and info cards. Now I can't say they did it, but I can say that materials they provided were used in these ways.

Vandalism is OK if the cause is Correct.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    My GF and I walked through the festival on Saturday. The Moms were there along with march for our lives. We saw a few people walking around in orange shirts that said "Use Your Voice!" and a few with the wear orange stickers.

I was itching to go ask the Moms a few questions and my GF gave me some of the best advice I've gotten lately, saying "They just want attention, why give it to them?"

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Love that suicides and killed during felony count as gun violence.

“Did you know toasters murder hundreds of bathers every year? Sign up now for Mom’s Against Bath Tubs and Crunchy Bread”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr H

Banana'd
    My GF and I walked through the festival on Saturday. The Moms were there along with march for our lives. We saw a few people walking around in orange shirts that said "Use Your Voice!" and a few with the wear orange stickers.

I was itching to go ask the Moms a few questions and my GF gave me some of the best advice I've gotten lately, saying "They just want attention, why give it to them?"

Yep... Mommies Desperate for Attention...

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Here are some women who are trying to make something happen. No matter how misguided we may think they are, at least they are getting off their duffs and taking action, which so few do. Most of us just sit here and point out their faults, keyboard activists. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I understand, but I'm wondering if the festival organizers (don't know if that's an arts council or the city) would have provided a booth to MSI or MDS had they requested it?

I don't think MSI has been to that particular event, but they do booths in areas that are often in 'hostile' territory, and they are quite successful.

Often, there are separate 'advocacy' areas of the events, to keep the merchants and the 'political' traffic separate, but pay the fee and they're generally no issue.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Here are some women who are trying to make something happen. No matter how misguided we may think they are, at least they are getting off their duffs and taking action, which so few do. Most of us just sit here and point out their faults, keyboard activists. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Yup. Seems the few nearly always wind up representing the many. But is that really the case here? Or is it really a giant "Ho Hum?" I dunno, but I suspect it is. In the few times I've interacted with them personally their "local" moms drive in or are bussed in from some very "non-local" places.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I understand, but I'm wondering if the festival organizers (don't know if that's an arts council or the city) would have provided a booth to MSI or MDS had they requested it?

MSI was at Bowiefest Saturday, about 4 tables down the "street" from Moms Desperate for Attention. We had one out-and-out loon, halfway through the conversation he admitted he was 'trolling" but I already knew that. A couple of "I don't agree with you but we can still talk" conversations. The rest were positive and agreeable. We were also at Beltsville a couple of weeks ago, no negative comments there at all.

I'll have to look into this event next year, if anyone has a POC for the organizers please send an email to events at marylandshallissue with a dot and an org

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    MSI was at Bowiefest Saturday, about 4 tables down the "street" from Moms Desperate for Attention. We had one out-and-out loon, halfway through the conversation he admitted he was 'trolling" but I already knew that. A couple of "I don't agree with you but we can still talk" conversations. The rest were positive and agreeable. We were also at Beltsville a couple of weeks ago, no negative comments there at all.

I'll have to look into this event next year, if anyone has a POC for the organizers please send an email to events at marylandshallissue with a dot and an org

Glad to hear they're providing equal access at these events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom