• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

gooder

Aug 26, 2011
    completed 11/15

so today its 34 days in *pending*. And I assume that even after that I will be waiting for the card to ship..yes..frustrating watching all the Xmas specials go by me.

Ed

Some shops will let you to purchase (at least the ones I've been to) if you don't have your HQL yet. You just can't fill out any paper work. I purchased my g19 gen4 over a month before I had my HQL just to take advantage of the sale. Check with you LGS or whoever you're looking at to see.

Some shops will let you to purchase (at least the ones I've been to) if you don't have your HQL yet. You just can't fill out any paper work. I purchased my g19 gen4 over a month before I had my HQL just to take advantage of the sale. Check with you LGS or whoever you're looking at to see.

hmm just to be clear..do you mean you put it on layaway or something other than *purchase? I cant think of how the paperwork would go with say a credit card payment prior to the day your approved..or maybe Im just old fashion stupid?..

Maybe a lay away or something as such might do the trick and nothing beats a failure like a try..thanks for the thought

Ed

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    You can technically buy a handgun, but you wouldn't be able to pick it till you get that HQL, or moved out of Maryland. I brought my first handgun in Delaware and had it shipped to Maryland, and then waited till I got my HQL and picked it up...stupid Maryland...I still dont understand how this is legal..you wait 30+ days for a license to buy a gun, but then you must wait 7 days..dont give me the bs that its to make sure you have "proper training"....nanny state.../rant over

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You can technically buy a handgun, but you wouldn't be able to pick it till you get that HQL, or moved out of Maryland. I brought my first handgun in Delaware and had it shipped to Maryland, and then waited till I got my HQL and picked it up...stupid Maryland...I still dont understand how this is legal..you wait 30+ days for a license to buy a gun, but then you must wait 7 days..dont give me the bs that its to make sure you have "proper training"....nanny state.../rant over

You had to wait the 7 days even before the HQL law passed so in order to infringe on our civil rights the most they could they just added them together. The 7 days was explained as both time for the MSP to conduct a background check or time for a "cooling off" period so you didn't get mad buy a gun and go shoot someone. Neither explanation holds water because if 7 days is enough time for a background check why does the HQL need 30 days; the feds do it while on the phone. The cooling off period won't float because you still have to wait 7 days even if you already own a gun.:mad54:

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Meter just started running

Attachments

• hql.png
      hql.png
      5.3 KB · Views: 315

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    After 7 days I only have the DHMH completed.
    I called a few days ago to make sure my training certificate was properly attached to my app and was told that, after the fee, the DHMH was always the first thing to be completed within a few days of recieving the app. When I asked how long the process normally takes I was told, "We have 30 days to complete." which I took to mean As Long As Possible.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Application/Fee 12/5, DHMH 12/10, Lots of activity 12/28, Active 12/30. Total 25 Days. Now the wait for the card begins.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Application/Fee 12/5, DHMH 12/10, Lots of activity 12/28, Active 12/30. Total 25 Days. Now the wait for the card begins.

Went active on 12/30 will be one of the last issued this year. We could use the number you get assigned except for the last two digits if you would be willing to share it for use in our ongoing tracking of how many HQL's are issued. See this thread for details:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177968&page=5

When you get your card either send me a PM or post the number with the last two numbers XX.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    application/fee 12/5, active 12/30

HQL-2016-0279XX

Thank you frombaltimore I will work on updating the numbers and post the end of year stats in a day or so.

And welcome to MDS Forum you might want to drop in the Introduction Section and tell us a little about yourself.

srrc

Jan 3, 2017
    Maryland
    12/7 Submitted

NICS, METERS, Secondary review incomplete...
    Anyone knows if this is bad for HQL application or not?
    thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170103-130559.jpg
      Screenshot_20170103-130559.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 175

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks to new member frombaltimore we have some data.

In 2016 the MSP issued approximately 27,900 new HQL's which is a new record yearly total which resulted in a new record of 77 issued per day. Personally I believe each HQL also represents at least one handgun purchase because no one would go through the expense and hassles without buying one.

The complete analysis and totals since the inception of the law can be found in this thread:
    How many HQLs are active in MD?
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177968

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom