• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bought a Glock 17 Gen4 today with 'made in Georgia, USA' stamped on the side. This is the first of its kind I've ever seen as I've always known them to be manufactured in Austria. Same parts? Same quality? Please shed some light on this?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    From what I remember from my armorer's class (about 1.5 years ago), barrels with a pentagon proof stamp are made here and some other components are finished or made here. Things proofed in Austria have the NP stamp.

I believe the greyish color on newer barrels and slides are salt nitrided and not put through the Tennifer process.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Was the "Made In Georgia" stamp on the slide or on the frame??? I'm guessing (not seeing any pics) that the frame will have "Made in Austria" on it somewhere.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    When we started carrying Glocks on MPDC in the mid 80s, they had to be assembled in the US. Just like Beretta being assembled in Accoceek, MD, Glock set up their assembly plant in Smyrna, GA. Gov't agencies could not purchase from overseas.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    When we started carrying Glocks on MPDC in the mid 80s, they had to be assembled in the US. Just like Beretta being assembled in Accoceek, MD, Glock set up their assembly plant in Smyrna, GA. Gov't agencies could not purchase from overseas.

Well... the US made Berettas have most of the main components (barrels, slides, frames) made right there in Accokeek. Anything that says "MADE IN ITALY" is assembled over there.

I don't know GLOCK as well, obviously. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Hm. Pretty much backs up what I said about the finishing. I had not seen the USA stamped guns yet.

I know most guns today (if not all) are made from parts that originate all over the globe. Stamping dies for making magazines, spring-making machines, forging machines, etc. are insanely expensive so those and many small parts are contracted out, sometimes from other countries. So I'm not sure how many components are required from any particular country for it to be "made" there, and whether the BATFE or the manufacturer or whom determines that... I'm not digging around on atf.gov on my phone lol.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I bought a 17 gen 4 in December. It has USA on frame, slide, and barrel. Also has the Georgia shaped proof marks. Dunno anything on quantity produced here though. Shoots great and that's what matters.

May 13, 2005
    Some Glocks are serial numbered ABC123US and some are numbered just ABC123... does this signify where they were made?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well damn. Now I want one. Especially if I come across a G34 in FDE or ODG. I have not made use of my GSSF discount yet...

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    FWIW I saw SEVERAL GLOCKs stamped "USA" with the Georgia stamps at Engage over the weekend. The finish on the slides is a shiny black and not grey anymore... so I give up lol. There are so many variations currently, I can only assume that they're being made from pieces coming from wherever they can get them. With demand being so high, I would not be surprised at all if they are using vendors to produce some parts.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Michele Viscusi posted a pic of one on her Facebook page. Said she would like to have one. Which I am sure that is easily arranged for her. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom