Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 16th, 2018, 09:55 AM #51
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdc4511 View Post
For you folks doing this may I ask what the average cost seems to be?

I really want to do one but I am having a really hard time justifying this. As y’all know I can get discounted glocks and after build it seems most of these are past MSRP. I really wanna build one just to do it but I don’t think I can justify 200-300 over a glock price for an hour build lol.

Yes I get the point behind an 80% build and no registration blah blah but that isn’t a concern. I really just wanna build one cuz it’s interesting a cool to me.
I doubt the prices will come down, demand is high and.....

I built my early G19's when prices were reasonable. They were on par with buying new, but now that is no longer possible with the price of slides, parts, etc... it just don't add up anymore.

You may try GB or similar and look for a used gun, see if the seller will just keep the frame and send the rest to you. It's probably the only way to get the parts needed for a fair price.
Archery and Firearm Fanatic
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:18 AM #52

Quote:

I really want to do one but I am having a really hard time justifying this. As yíall know I can get discounted glocks and after build it seems most of these are past MSRP. I really wanna build one just to do it but I donít think I can justify 200-300 over a glock price for an hour build lol.

Yes I get the point behind an 80% build and no registration blah blah but that isnít a concern. I really just wanna build one cuz itís interesting a cool to me.

Maybe if yíall have a build party Iíll ask to tag along so I can feel like a built one
Yeah, cheapest route seems to be building a Glock 22 with used Glock parts, because of all of the used police guns on the secondary market now.

Price to build a used gun is anywhere from $100-200 more than just buying the used gun itself (when you see $299-350 complete G22s online). So vendors are pretty much cleaning up - selling parts of the gun for more than the entire gun without the hassle of selling a firearm.

9mm guns are even worse because the demand is higher.

The economics of it don't really make sense right now but it's a fun project. I can also say that I genuinely like the feel of the P80 frames over the Glock frames as well...
ZeroCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:44 AM #53
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I doubt the prices will come down, demand is high and.....
Price is a function of supply and demand. Once we see another couple companies enter the market, prices will drop considerably. We're in the early days of things now.
Old February 16th, 2018, 12:57 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
Price is a function of supply and demand. Once we see another couple companies enter the market, prices will drop considerably. We're in the early days of things now.
If kids are bringing them to school are you still comfortable saying early days? I want to pick one up to put in my pile of "Projects".
ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:05 PM #55

Quote:

I really want to do one but I am having a really hard time justifying this. As yíall know I can get discounted glocks and after build it seems most of these are past MSRP. I really wanna build one just to do it but I donít think I can justify 200-300 over a glock price for an hour build lol.

Yes I get the point behind an 80% build and no registration blah blah but that isnít a concern. I really just wanna build one cuz itís interesting a cool to me.

Maybe if yíall have a build party Iíll ask to tag along so I can feel like a built one
Right now, Midway USA is at about $550 for everything minus sights and a magazine if you buy the factory frame and slide parts kits and a swenson slide and barrel. The key is to buy when stuff goes on sale and you can probably knock close to $100 off that.
94hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:31 PM #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94hokie View Post
Right now, Midway USA is at about $550 for everything minus sights and a magazine if you buy the factory frame and slide parts kits and a swenson slide and barrel. The key is to buy when stuff goes on sale and you can probably knock close to $100 off that.
Thats honestly not that bad. Of course, I always end up pimping my builds out so the budget goes out the window
YerNotGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:36 PM #57

I'm getting ready to build P940Cv1. Decided against the Zev slide, too many reviews indicating they don't work well on the Poly80 frame so I'm going to go with the Brownells slide and Glock factory internals for this first one. I keep changing my mind on what I want to do with this build but it's clear I'm not going to save any money doing it. But I get to pick the parts and experience building it and in the end come out ahead over buying new and replacing all the parts, unless of course I were to sell the takeoffs but I'd never do that.
JCB003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:41 PM #58

I've watched a bunch of vids on YouTube on how to build these and best way I saw to remove the rails was to score with razor knife a few times and they snap off pretty clean with minimal sanding. The end snip pilers looks like a good option too with just a bit more sanding required. I'm going to try both ways and see what works best.
JCB003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:41 PM #59
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB003 View Post
I'm getting ready to build P940Cv1. Decided against the Zev slide, too many reviews indicating they don't work well on the Poly80 frame so I'm going to go with the Brownells slide and Glock factory internals for this first one. I keep changing my mind on what I want to do with this build but it's clear I'm not going to save any money doing it. But I get to pick the parts and experience building it and in the end come out ahead over buying new and replacing all the parts, unless of course I were to sell the takeoffs but I'd never do that.
That's how I approach it as well. I decide what I want in each piece for a given need and custom build the pistol with no parts left over when it's all done. Cheaper, probably not, but it's just the way I want it and the experience of building, assembling, troubleshooting, etc.. is invaluable.
Archery and Firearm Fanatic
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:20 PM #60
Sonic

Sonic

I did mine with a Glock 19 slide and barrel but added a Zev trigger and bought some night sights that I have yet to put on. I got the frame on sale for $99 in FDE. I spent about $800 but I built it, so it was worth it. Besides, I didn't have to get an HQL, so I broke even BTW, the trigger is sweet.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing