• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Does anyone remember Arthur Cook's Academy of the Shooting Sports in Laurel? It was just off Route 1 and Main on Lafayette behind the old train station. It was in a warehouse building with offices and a small gun store in the front along with an actual warehouse and in the back part was a gun range. Art was the gold medalist for 50m rifle prone in the 1948 summer Olympics.

I just stumbled across the place while a student at UMCP and started shooting there with my wife. She made her first gun purchase there. I think that at the time they were a (the?) importer for Eley ammo and it was relatively inexpensive to shoot decent .22. We saw him come into the range and just do some really seriously accurate rifle shooting a few times. He was an interesting fellow, kept a really fancy but well worn inlaid and engraved Colt 1911 in his desk.

We moved away and I see that according to google maps, there is a vault company there now.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What year?
    Our family business was on the other side of the RR tracks from 1969 until about 1992 when we moved it to North Laurel.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Late 80s early 90s . But the business appeared to be much older. I just checked and there is a Wikipedia page about him. It says he started a business in 1955. Its possible it was there by the look of it then.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I know where you are referring to just south of the American Legion along the railroad tracks. I was not aware of his name or background.

Several years ago I saw an add from someone in that area selling equipment for an indoor shooting range. That may have been one in the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom