• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    So really ... how long does it take to get a CHL in Berkeley County, WV? I've been waiting 65 days as of today for my initial response. I know my background is clean and I never have any issues with background checks for firearms. What could be the delay?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So really ... how long does it take to get a CHL in Berkeley County, WV? I've been waiting 65 days as of today for my initial response. I know my background is clean and I never have any issues with background checks for firearms. What could be the delay?

Sounds like you need to call the sheriffs office.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Why are you in a hurry? Only reason you should need one is to carry in states that have reciprocity.

Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    I would contact the Sheriffs office or the county clerk, but I don't want seem like the impatient type (even though I am ... just a little). Particularly in today's atmosphere of gun haters and liberal gun controllers. I was told it takes 45 days for the initial review. All the resources I've read say 45 days. I was expecting to wait 45 days and YES, I do want the CHL for the reciprocity it provides. As per the current WV State Police map, a WV CHL is recognized in over 40 states. Don't you think that's a good idea? I'm new to WV and permit-less carry.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I don’t think you’re being impatient, just give them a friendly call and ask what the F*** is taking so long!!!!:lol2:
    J/K but I’d call and ask.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Did you provide proof of training? Do you have a common name like smith or jones?
    Call them. ..

Sent from the 3rd Rock

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    I would contact the Sheriffs office or the county clerk, but I don't want seem like the impatient type (even though I am ... just a little). Particularly in today's atmosphere of gun haters and liberal gun controllers. I was told it takes 45 days for the initial review. All the resources I've read say 45 days. I was expecting to wait 45 days and YES, I do want the CHL for the reciprocity it provides. As per the current WV State Police map, a WV CHL is recognized in over 40 states. Don't you think that's a good idea? I'm new to WV and permit-less carry.

I would just ask innocently did they receive it, checking the status. They might of typo your address or something. My wife and I are taking the training class this summer. Currently, we just walk around our property, or go on hikes carrying with our kids. We're not too obvious with it. There are bears and mountain lions around where we are on the mountain.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I seem to remember it took less than two weeks to get mine. I would definitely call them to make sure your application didn't get lost in the shuffle.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Mine took right around 45 days. Last 2 times it was only 2 weeks.
    Either more people are getting the permit or they are putting less man hours into processing.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

If you've waited 45 days, go ahead and call. My 2012 renewal took longer than I thought because somehow they didn't have my phone number, but had been approved in 2 weeks.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Harrison County had mine in a week...

WV Sheriffs do have a time limit though. I just can’t remember what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krieger

Sep 9, 2016
    West Virginia
    Call them, I had the same issue with my renewal. I called to inquire, the person was less than polite, I asked her to look in to the status which she did. Turned out it had been processed and was waiting on me to pick it up. "What" I asked her reply was - "we called and let you a message"
    My experience - I find few competent county employees in my dealings.

Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input. So, I did make an inquiry to the Sheriff's office and they told me they had approved the application and forwarded it back to the County Assessor's office and to go see them. I went to the County Assessor and they told me I had filled out the wrong application ... (that's strange, because I downloaded the application directly from the county's website and it didn't stop them from cashing my check). But none-the-less, the application was processed and approved since 01/31. So I paid the additional $25 and got my license on the spot. The only downside ... they caught me smiling from ear to ear to take my picture. Like it was the happiest day of my life. Oh well, I'm good to go until 2023.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input. So, I did make an inquiry to the Sheriff's office and they told me they had approved the application and forwarded it back to the County Assessor's office and to go see them. I went to the County Assessor and they told me I had filled out the wrong application ... (that's strange, because I downloaded the application directly from the county's website and it didn't stop them from cashing my check). But none-the-less, the application was processed and approved since 01/31. So I paid the additional $25 and got my license on the spot. The only downside ... they caught me smiling from ear to ear to take my picture. Like it was the happiest day of my life. Oh well, I'm good to go until 2023.

:thumbsup:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Oh yes, I did the same thing although the desk clerk caught it and had me fill out the correct one. The forms are almost identical, the only difference was so trivial that I can't even remember what it was.

So anyone else applying just get it at the Assessor's office, don't download it :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom