• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Closure: went to edgeworks in Freerick. Spoke to a young man who seemed to know his stuff. Came home with the following:

1. Yaxel Dragon Chef's Knife
    2. Yaxel dragon slicer

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have a set of kitchen knives I've been using for 30 years. They were a cheap set I bought when it was all I could afford. I'd like some recommendation on an open stock knife manufacturer that makes a product that holds an edge well. I don't need a full set, since I usually use only 2 or 2 shapes regularly.

Do you push or pull cut?

What's more important to you form or function?

How important is buying American?

Do any butchering or just veggies, meats, etc?

Don't buy a wooden cutting board.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    What's the deal with not using a wooden cutting board. I have two that I use daily but I now place a mat on them before cutting up stuff. Makes it easier to transport the goodies to the pot.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    More likely to have something growing in the tiny cuts in the wood. More effort to make safer.

I like the flexible plastic cutting sheets.

I agree with this. You have to be very careful with its cleaning, especially if you cut raw meat on it. Butchers block is nice and served it's purpose for a long time. But, its not worth it anymore.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Agree with both of you . I like the wooden block mainly due to the fact that I have granite countertops and it makes me feel better putting pots ,pans etc on the wood .I still use the plastic cutting sheets to prep the grub. I also make sure to wipe the board down with bleach as i'm using them. Also have deducted mats for veggies, meats,fish,and chicken......my major concern.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    More likely to have something growing in the tiny cuts in the wood. More effort to make safer.

I like the flexible plastic cutting sheets.

Wrong, wrong, so wrong.

My father ran a restaurant for 50 years, and had to deal with the constant varying regulations. He had two large wooden butcher block tables used in food prep. NY came through after they were in use for 30-40 years and told him they must be replaced with plastic. (Note: Never any problem with micro-organisms in that period). A few years later, information was developed that demonstrated that there was far less bacterial growth found in wooden boardsd than in the plastic. Thanks, NY.

As a corollary, he used to buy dill pickle chips in 50 gallon wooden barrels. Pickles have been stored and sold from wooden barrels from time immemorial, with no problems with nasty creatures growing in the brine. Of course, they are no longer legal, and pickles ome in 5 gallon drywall buckets.

The cynic in me believes that half of this farce was perpetrated by regulators in need of finding something to justify their inspections, while the other half was perpetrated by the undue influence of those who would benefit from the change.

None of the changes forced by regulators (and there are many more than these two) seem to have resulted in any difference whatever in the outcome to customers.

Link to research on the topic:
    http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wrong, wrong, so wrong.

My father ran a restaurant for 50 years, and had to deal with the constant varying regulations. He had two large wooden butcher block tables used in food prep. NY came through after they were in use for 30-40 years and told him they must be replaced with plastic. (Note: Never any problem with micro-organisms in that period). A few years later, information was developed that demonstrated that there was far less bacterial growth found in wooden boardsd than in the plastic. Thanks, NY.

As a corollary, he used to buy dill pickle chips in 50 gallon wooden barrels. Pickles have been stored and sold from wooden barrels from time immemorial, with no problems with nasty creatures growing in the brine. Of course, they are no longer legal, and pickles ome in 5 gallon drywall buckets.

The cynic in me believes that half of this farce was perpetrated by regulators in need of finding something to justify their inspections, while the other half was perpetrated by the undue influence of those who would benefit from the change.

None of the changes forced by regulators (and there are many more than these two) seem to have resulted in any difference whatever in the outcome to customers.

Dang Bob_A, you don't let me get away with anything. :lol2:

Just kidding. You are right again, on so many points, thanks for the conversation. I should have acknowledged there is some controversy/debate over this topic. I've revisited this topic several times, as I've owned/used so many, currently own about a dozen and although this thread is about kitchen knives, I'll put in my 2cents once more - because you were so adamant about it! :D

Yes, the wooden boards are better for the environment, easier on your knives, and more 'traditional'. Heck, if you get the right wood they may have some natural anti-microbial properties; I really don't know that, but I know some insects don't like some woods, so it makes sense. Wooden cutting boards look cooler and can cost a lot more too.

On the other hand, I don't know any insects or mold that feeds off plastic and why overall I use my thinner plastic sheets way more than the wooden board(s) I still have around (and I never plan to buy another, unless its for decoration), plastic is better. First, the thin plastic sheets are much lighter, easier to work with, fold up or roll so putting chopped food into the pan/bowl/wok is much easier. Cleaning them is much easier too, the sheets conform to the space/sink you have, easiest to clean, so you'll do a better job, and do it more often. Plastic is still plenty easy on knives, hence the 'problem' of cutting into them and creating a trapped surface that could harbor/grow germs. But germs can't live without moisture; plastic is much easier to dry and keep dry, and if it gets humid, unlike wood, plastic doesn't soak up ambient humidity or hold moisture.

Most importantly: Keeping your cutting surface dry, clean and replacing it routinely are all easier with plastic cutting sheets; hands down, no contest. I'm much more likely to replace a $1 cutting sheet that will typically last me a few years, than a thicker/stiffer/more attractive cutting board that I paid 10x-20x for.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Wrong, wrong, so wrong.

THIS. I use wooden cutting boards that I've made almost exclusively and never have a problem, I just make sure they are well cleaned. If I'm cutting large quantities of raw meat, I also have a plastic board that I can throw in the dishwasher afterwords.
    Wood is much kinder to a knife's edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I recently purchased a Lansky sharpening system with Arkansas stones. What angle should I use to maintain an edge? I'm thinking 20 degrees. Is there any way to determine what the original factory angle was?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Sharpening tool: Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twinsharp Knife Sharpener
    -- Best knife sharpener I have purchased. Pull the knife through 5 or 6 times and proceed to cutting.

Cutting surfaces:
    -- Plastic for poultry
    -- Wood for everything else. Need surface refreshed put the belt sander to it and take off an 1/8th inch.

We got a JA Henckels set for a wedding gift 12 years ago. We've put them through hell and they work just as well 12 years later :thumbsup:

Cutco, Wustof, or Henkels. Cutco has a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wustoff or Henkels

I'm a big fan of Henckels as well. Just make sure to get a model with two stick figures (Twin, Four Star, etc). The JA Henckels International (one stick figure) is made in China and lower quality.

Attachments

• Henckels Logo.jpg
      Henckels Logo.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 122
    • henckels.jpg
      henckels.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 117

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm a big fan of Henckels as well. Just make sure to get a model with two stick figures (Twin, Four Star, etc). The JA Henckels International (one stick figure) is made in China and lower quality.

Mine are the made in China ones. I guess the other model must be scary good(and scary $$$) because mine are still doing fine after all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom