• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    There is no "Clearance/Veteran thing". As a veteran, you are just another schmuck in the eyes of the licensing division. Active Duty w/Top Secret clearance seems to be the answer. The OPM breach letter won't even get you a free donut. The new members stiil do have their heads up their asses. Hope this was of help. :)

To refine it even further, "Active Duty w/Top Secret clearance working on Ft. Meade" was a one-off some meetings ago, right after the ISIS "Hit List" came out. There hasn't been one additional permit based on that granted since, and a few have tried unsuccessfully to get a permit based on the same criteria as the one-off. Sorry. No donut for you.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    To refine it even further, "Active Duty w/Top Secret clearance working on Ft. Meade" was a one-off some meetings ago, right after the ISIS "Hit List" came out. There hasn't been one additional permit based on that granted since, and a few have tried unsuccessfully to get a permit based on the same criteria as the one-off. Sorry. No donut for you.

Wait, someone with the EXACT SAME CIRCUMSTANCE as the Ft. Meade guy might get denied? WTF? He's somehow in more danger? I know this place is messed up, but that's beyond stoopid.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wait, someone with the EXACT SAME CIRCUMSTANCE as the Ft. Meade guy might get denied? WTF? He's somehow in more danger? I know this place is messed up, but that's beyond stoopid.

WTF is exactly right. Come on down and witness first hand the sausage being made tomorrow evening.

Love your avatar, you're going to fit in well....;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Anyone who hasn't taken part (spectator sport) in the HPRB debacle is really missing out. I encourage anyone reading this to come by. Bring a neighbor, friend or family member with you.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    WTF is exactly right. Come on down and witness first hand the sausage being made tomorrow evening.

Love your avatar, you're going to fit in well....;)

I'd love to come, but I'm in Hughesville. Convincing my wife to watch our 18 month old twins and 4 year old so I can go to a meeting in Baltimore would be...problematic.
    I have a feeling I'll be attending soon enough anyway. :mad54:

I use the avatar at work. My agency is full of people who think they're Jason Bourne when they're actually closer to Computer Tech #3. I thought it appropriate here as well.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'd love to come, but I'm in Hughesville. Convincing my wife to watch our 18 month old twins and 4 year old so I can go to a meeting in Baltimore would be...problematic.
    I have a feeling I'll be attending soon enough anyway. :mad54:

I use the avatar at work. My agency is full of people who think they're Jason Bourne when they're actually closer to Computer Tech #3. I thought it appropriate here as well.

Having 18 month old twins ought to be G&S.......;)

Good luck in your quest, we're all here for ya if you have questions or eventually just want to rant...

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    One more success story. After the HPRB reversed the MSP and issued a permit to an active duty military guy, I convinced a friend who is full time National Guard MP to apply. He has a Secret clearance, not Top Secret. He got his permit in the mail today. Restrictions read ' Valid only while off duty". That's about as unrestricted as it gets.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    One more success story. After the HPRB reversed the MSP and issued a permit to an active duty military guy, I convinced a friend who is full time National Guard MP to apply. He has a Secret clearance, not Top Secret. He got his permit in the mail today. Restrictions read ' Valid only while off duty". That's about as unrestricted as it gets.

Sweet. Is there a place with successful writeups here? I fully intend to post mine.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    OK, my friend said he listed the ISIS threats as a general threat. He said the investigator told him that the LD is not accepting that as G&S and that his status as an MP would most likely be the reason for issue. We all know that the investigators have no more insight then any of us as to what makes the LD tick, so until a typical active duty person (non-LEO) applies, we still don't know for sure.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Does anyone have or have a link to one of the dummy apps that are no longer available from the OP? I used that before and would like to again as I fill this out to avoid making a mistake.

cpo0996

Jan 7, 2016
    MD WCP Procedures

I am providing guidance from once your application has been submitted. The below information is based on my experience as retired military, current DoD employee and "Good and Substantial" reason ISIL Threat.

You will receive a phone call from MSP Inspector Wright to schedule an interview. You may be required to provide an employment verification letter. The inspector will want to talk to your spouse as a follow-up to your interview. Once the inspector forwards your application, you will receive notification via phone call, E-mail, and mail from the MDSP of your denied application. When you receive notification, you will have 3 options 1) talk to a MDSP trooper 2) talk to the MDSP Superintendent 3) Appeal to the Handgun Permit Review Board. Option 3 is what you should do, which gets the decision out of the MDSP.

Attached are sample letters and my proposed statement based on my application and appeal.

I started the process in August 2015 and my hearing is scheduled in January or February as I am 18th in queue.

Cheers, CPO0996

Attachments

• MSP 8 September 2015 Example.docx
      14.4 KB · Views: 156
    • Appeal Board Sample.docx
      16.9 KB · Views: 130
    • Statement.docx
      17.8 KB · Views: 148

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Guess you spoke too soon. Now I want my donut. Keep in mind, you are only seeing the applicants that were denied for some reason and then appealed. You don't really know how many are approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom