• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I bought a stainless one. The only thing I still need to get is a prop stick; I'm heading to home depot to try to cobble something together.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Might be able, if your rod holders have that thing at the bottom for a notched fishing rod,
    to just put a piece of PVC in one holder and notch the piece of PVC so it slides into that thing.
    Not sure that there is really that much pressure on the prop stick...
    also could buy some other traps and throw them out there and check between runs...

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I bought a new SS net end of the season two years ago......idiots used regular steel hog rings on it so now its rusty anyway.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Not crabbing ourselves,but.....

We got smalls for $30/doz. last Mon. @ Anne Arundel Seafood in the 'dena.

They were outstanding!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Couldn't get out last week due to winds, so stopped at Kool Ice in Cambridge and got a 1/2 bushel of mediums (5 dozen) steamed for $75.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Might be able, if your rod holders have that thing at the bottom for a notched fishing rod,
    to just put a piece of PVC in one holder and notch the piece of PVC so it slides into that thing.
    Not sure that there is really that much pressure on the prop stick...
    also could buy some other traps and throw them out there and check between runs...

if your trotline is made of loktite you have to have a free rolling propstick if you're using PCV....if not it will saw through it...I learned the hard way. Put a 2.5 inch piece over a 2 inch propstick so the roller can roll and move to keep it from being damaged.

I am bumping up this thread to see if anyone has been out crabbing yet this season. I just got a report from St. Mary's county that the crabs have not been very plentiful so far. But that's just one fisherman, so I called two wholesalers: they were both selling mixed bushels for $200 per basket. That's kind of a lot...seems like supply might be low.

Has anyone gotten out on the water? How did it go? What method were you using? What bait is working?

I'm going to try trot lining for the first time next week. Can't wait...even if I only get one keeper crab, I think I'll still have fun.

I have friends that crab and fish all up and down the bay on both shores...the best report I have received was 19 crabs in nearly 6 hours in Mill Creek (Solomons). It really appears the DNR's winter dredge survey was really wrong OR we are being purposely deceived..

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We kept reading a solid 60% increase YOY.

Hopefully they weren't totally wrong. Way up my way we need a solid few week into August to be dry.... last summer was a joke with rain, salt/brackish line never moved up enough.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Plenty out there, ended up with 32 Saturday just running a few traps. We stopped cause it was only 3 of us and didn’t need any more.

Attachments

• 30A4A7CB-623C-48F9-B5FA-BA6E257CF2E5.jpg
      30A4A7CB-623C-48F9-B5FA-BA6E257CF2E5.jpg
      98.7 KB · Views: 214
    • 6869FAF3-5FB0-4D3F-814D-741B160AC203.jpg
      6869FAF3-5FB0-4D3F-814D-741B160AC203.jpg
      133.9 KB · Views: 199

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    We kept reading a solid 60% increase YOY.

Hopefully they weren't totally wrong. Way up my way we need a solid few week into August to be dry.... last summer was a joke with rain, salt/brackish line never moved up enough.

This year has been no different so far. Too much rain. Oystering will be bad again this year too.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I heard from my friend they are using bull lips for crab bait. It is really sturdy bait you can reuse it multiple times for entire season. But it is not so easy to find it.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Yup, plus guys who trot line with them just put the line in a crab basket and freeze or refrigerate and use the same bait next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom