• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember, the "marked or advertised" is NOT the law, it the MSP interpretation of the law.

That could change at any time. If you want to be the test case of a pencil barrel that is marked HBAR, the rest of MD thanks you.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    cambrann

I don't know what your priorities are for your choice, how you intend to shoot your AR (bench or shoulder), how much you are willing to spend, how "heavy" you are considering, or how important precision is.

You know this, but remember that your barrel will be the most important factor in your rifle's precision potential. (Tuned handloads are also important, but not part of a build.)

I have two Rock River Arms Varmint model AR's, one 16" and the other 18", both in .223 Wylde. These barrels flat out shoot. I have not seen any other AR-15 barrels at the local range that shoot like RRA Varmints, with tuned handloads. That includes my $500 Kreiger barrel chambered in 224Valkyrie. (RRA doesn't offer a 224V barrel.) RRA Varmint barrels are made by Wilson, and are hand-lapped, air gauged and cryo treated, but are a very heavy varmint profile, and are $280/$290 for the 16"/18" (gas block included).

I often see posters here denounce RRA products, and I just smile . . . . :D

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=274
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=273

Good luck with your choice.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I helped a good friend install a Windham Weaponry HBAR "kit" on an upper he had gotten from his brother, a while back.

Installation was easy, after reading EVERYTHING I could from people that have done this before.

The guy that owns the AR w/ HBAR now, is THRILLED with the accuracy he's getting at 100 and 150 yards. (Farthest distance he's fired it.)

Just passing along experiences.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Remember, the "marked or advertised" is NOT the law, it the MSP interpretation of the law.

That could change at any time. If you want to be the test case of a pencil barrel that is marked HBAR, the rest of MD thanks you.

Then what is the law?

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Then what is the law?

Thats exactly the issue. The law provides the exception for HBAR, but then doesn’t provide specifics to exactly what that is. Based upon the MSP bulletins, it seems as if they are letting manufacturers decide. For me, based upon the MSP guidance and manufacturer claiming HBAR, thats all I need. Your mileage may vary.

All I would suggest is that folks read the damn law several times and then make their decision. Cheers

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP ; You need to give us specific parameters . Suggested criteria :

How accurate is "accurate" ? Give desired group size .

Or to flip around - " My budget is $ X00 , what are the bbls in thst price range consistently give good accuracy ? " .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    How do you like the barrels? Do they shoot well?

Another positive vote for faxon barrels

I have them in 5.56 and .308. both shoot like a dream. They also offer 5R rifling in both and awesome colors as well as nitride, many different profiles, HBARs with fluting to lighten them up. Additionally they offer ones in 14.5 with lo-pro pinned/welded flash hiders/ muzzle brake already installed (muzzle device permits gas block install)

Highly recommend them. They are my go-to for AR barrels.

The . 308 5R shoots sub-moa with good ammo in 16". The 5.56 barrels 1:8 shoots about MOA.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I found a DEZ Arms barrel on Optics Planet that is an HBAR, 16inch, match grade nitride 1 in 9 twist. Haven't fired it yet but looks to be good and they guarantee quality.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    From BHW:

There was misinformation posted onto the website that we are trying to clear up but it would indeed be our STD profile or higher considered the Heavy Barrel

John King
    Production Lead
    Columbia River Arms
    Blackhole Weaponry
    PH. (503) 410-5583
    sales@columbiariverarms.com
    Mon-Fri 8am-4pm PST

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    From BHW:

There was misinformation posted onto the website that we are trying to clear up but it would indeed be our STD profile or higher considered the Heavy Barrel

John King
    Production Lead
    Columbia River Arms
    Blackhole Weaponry
    PH. (503) 410-5583
    sales@columbiariverarms.com
    Mon-Fri 8am-4pm PST

The gramar appears to insinuate that any barrel advertised as STD or Higher is and HBAR. Did I get that right?

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I thought any barrel that was atleast 0.75" at its thinest profile was considered hbar by msp. I know msp was telling ffls that shortly after the ban.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Both of which were brief blips of the past, that were superseded faster than they could be set on paper .

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I dont even think those blips made it to paper.

Advertised or marked HBAR is the standard...

Agreed - I just received my HBAR - a 14.5 Colt. No HBAR markings on the barrel but look at packaging. That's enough for MD.

Attachments

• 0E88378C-A6B3-466E-8312-04E93E304E40.jpg
      0E88378C-A6B3-466E-8312-04E93E304E40.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 165
    • D5D00387-2504-4898-935A-FB514486399D.jpg
      D5D00387-2504-4898-935A-FB514486399D.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 167

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They wont prosecute you for doing what the MDSP says.

Really?

So tomorrow, MSP says, oh, we just decided that HBAR is a minimum outside diameter of 2 inches. Anything smaller is not HBAR.

Where are you then?

What they are saying is an INTERPRETATION. It has not been tested in court, and it is not stating something that is in the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom