• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjrednose

Sep 23, 2013
    Harford Couty
    So I shouldn't even apply for concealed carry bc I have not been raped, beaten, assaulted shot at and do not have documented evidence of the same as a private citizen? Something terrible like this has to happen to me first? The other categories don't apply, like PI, railroad cope, etc. Please tell me I am wrong and that I can still get approval. Retired military. Thanks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you were sufficiently politically connected , you would already have one , and wouldn't need to ask here.

So basically if you're not one of the catagories you already partially listed , you are not going to receive one. Under the Current Permitting scheme.

Keep an eye on developements in the National 2A section here. As more and more Federal Courts recognize 2A extending outside the home , it increases the pressure on the SCTOUS.to make a ruling , at which time Md will be forced into it.

Meanwhile #1 - obtain a non-resident out of state permit , and do most of your shoping and entertainment over the northern border of your County.

Meanwhile #2 - Hey , you volenteered you're Retired. You don't have a job to commute to. Move accross you northern county border , and just return to Md occasionally to visit your former neighbors.

Jan 2, 2013
    California, MD
    Mailed application 02/05/2014. Still not even a phone call. Gonna be patient.... Wonder if I can write my donation off at the end of the year????? Former Police with letter from Sheriff, DD214, and everything they asked for. Will post results

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Mailed application 02/05/2014. Still not even a phone call. Gonna be patient.... Wonder if I can write my donation off at the end of the year????? Former Police with letter from Sheriff, DD214, and everything they asked for. Will post results

Is former LEO your G&S? If you had enough time in you might be better off going under LEOSA. As far as the not hearing from anyone yet, that is not unusual. Once you do hear from someone you will likely have a phone interview and references contacted all on the same day. Permit should arrive within 30 days from that date. Total right around 90 days (even though they say 90 business days in most cases it is closer to 90 actual days).

Jan 2, 2013
    California, MD
    Is former LEO your G&S? If you had enough time in you might be better off going under LEOSA. As far as the not hearing from anyone yet, that is not unusual. Once you do hear from someone you will likely have a phone interview and references contacted all on the same day. Permit should arrive within 30 days from that date. Total right around 90 days (even though they say 90 business days in most cases it is closer to 90 actual days).

Thanks for pointing the LEOSA out but unfortunately I was only a LEO 4.5 years and not retired. Is it only a phone interview or is there a formal meeting?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My boss retired, should I call them with my new bosses info or wait for them to contact me and then tell them? G&S has nothing to do with this boss or job, G&S is for another job (I have 3 jobs..).

I would wait to inform them of the boss change until you have your interview which will most likely be by phone. Once they talk to you they will try to call all of your references the same day. Make sure they are reachable to avoid delays.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Our Values
    Integrity
    Maryland State Police personnel shall uphold the public trust by being honest and maintaining the highest standards of ethical and moral character.

Fairness
    Maryland State Police personnel shall treat each citizen with respect and preserve each citizen's dignity in an unbiased manner.

Service
    Maryland State Police personnel shall provide dedicated and compassionate assistance to all citizens.

They actually believe this! Apply the above to handgun carry permit process and they come up short.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Our Values
    Integrity
    Maryland State Police personnel shall uphold the public trust by being honest and maintaining the highest standards of ethical and moral character.

Fairness
    Maryland State Police personnel shall treat each citizen with respect and preserve each citizen's dignity in an unbiased manner.

Service
    Maryland State Police personnel shall provide dedicated and compassionate assistance to all citizens.

They actually believe this! Apply the above to handgun carry permit process and they come up short.

You missed the acronym. Integrity, Fairness, Service

These are IFS, as in if you belong to the ruling class, if you are connected to corrupt Democratic politicians, if you carry tax dollars the state wants to get their hands on, etc. When you apply those ifs to the equation they actually do uphold it don't they?

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    These are IFS, as in if you belong to the ruling class, if you are connected to corrupt Democratic politicians, if you carry tax dollars the state wants to get their hands on, etc. When you apply those ifs to the equation they actually do uphold it don't they?

Well, when you put it that way I guess it does work.

GlocksRGreat

Nov 17, 2013
    Western Maryland
    I applied for my Handgun Permit on 02/11/2014 and received it on 03/26/2014. I drove to Fulton County PA on Friday (3/28/2014) to apply for my PA License to carry firearms. I spent $20.00 and it took 20 minutes for them to take my picture, call in my background, print and laminate my LTCF. It should be that easy in every state.

renrets

Sep 10, 2013
    Hello all,
    I have been reading through this thread, granted not all of it, and have decided to apply for a carry permit.

I have registered with Maryland Live Scan in Glen Burnie to have my prints taken and to start the process.

My hopes of obtaining a permit are zero, as I do not own a business, I am not a doctor, I have not been the victim of a violent crime and have no law enforcement background.

My reason that I intend to put on my application is the second amendment to our bill of rights. More out of a desire to attempt to 'exercise my right'. I have never been politically active about 'gun control', but lately I have just been feeling fed up.

If (haha!) it goes through, I will post back here to let you all know.

Thanks for reading my 'vent'!!! And, thanks to all for posting so much information!

Last edited:

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Anyone have an idea on about what the time frame is from application to approval/disapproval? Its been 3 months, and no call for interview or anything. Im thinking about calling them up to check the status. I just dont want to keep calling and pester them to "look" for any other reason to find to deny me.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Anyone have an idea on about what the time frame is from application to approval/disapproval? Its been 3 months, and no call for interview or anything. Im thinking about calling them up to check the status. I just dont want to keep calling and pester them to "look" for any other reason to find to deny me.

How dare you imply that Maryland's finest would compromise their values of integrity, honor and fairness to further the political goals of the O'Malley administration?

Any accusation that the Maryland State Police would intentionally delay the prompt, lawful and efficient processing of your application to exercise your second amendment rights are totally without foundation.

Further, any suggestion that the MSP would in some way retaliate against you for inquiring...

Sorry, I just couldn't finish without laughing.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Hello all,
    My hopes of obtaining a permit are zero, as I do not own a business, I am not a doctor, I have not been the victim of a violent crime and have no law enforcement background.

My reason that I intend to put on my application is the second amendment to our bill of rights. More out of a desire to attempt to 'exercise my right'. I have never been politically active about 'gun control', but lately I have just been feeling fed up.

If (haha!) it goes through, I will post back here to let you all know.

Thanks for reading my 'vent'!!! And, thanks to all for posting so much information!

I appreciate the idea, and, did this very thing myself back in around 2001 or so (not knowing about MSI, this site, or anything else about MD gun law for that matter).

You will be denied, they will deny you till the end including any appeals you may have. They will look at you like you are a fvcking idiot for even trying, more than likely being condescending and rude throughout.

I have since gotten a permit, based on bank transactions, being business owner and having rental properties. The allure has worn off, even WITH the permit I'm hesitant to carry a lot of times based on where I am going to before or have to go after I am engaging in business transactions.

The system is screwed up, for some reason still a mystery to me they are looking to make it extremely difficult for law abiding citizens to lawfully own, possess and/or carry firearms.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013

To add.... I am a business owner, did a comprehensive mother may I letter, then had my NRA instructor review it as well. I think they will approve at this point but just wondering what kind of time frame to expect. I was told 6 mths is normal for MSP. No5 sure how true

GlocksRGreat

Nov 17, 2013
    Western Maryland
    1ceman, I think it may depend on where you live in the state. I did my interview at the barracks in Washington County and the process went pretty quickly. I would also look to see if they cashed your check yet. I was contacted by my investigator a few days after my check was cashed.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I'm the President of my corporation, dealing primarily with cash transactions.

Do you guys think that would qualify for G&S?

Former military, current FL CCW holder, clean background, ect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom