• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Ruger made several modified versions of its AR 556 model to comply with states like CO, MD and MA. Model 8511 is targeted toward MD laws, with a heavy barrel. My question is, is it the same as the regular AR556, with the only difference that it has a heavy barrel versus a slim barrel? From what I can find, a heavy barrel provides slightly better accuracy and heat tolerance, but is heavier and can't accommodate a grenade launcher (although from the pictures I see the launcher is mostly positioned under the handguard, not really close to the front naked part of the barrel, but anyway that's not a concern for most), are there any other drawbacks of a heavy barrel for civilian use?

Also, Ruger seems to be one of the very few companies that modified its mass market AR for the non-free states, are there other AR15 variants that do this? Since many AR makers are not the big names in the industry, I suppose it does not make economic sense for them to have separate products for very small markets. For that reason you see that model 8511 has a higher going price than the regular Ruger 556 at least online.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The only drawback I have found is that many heavy barrels are well... heavy. like lead brick heavy. Heavy + fluting = better IMHO.

A heavy barrel may or may not provide more accuracy or heat tolerance. Some thin barrels are pretty damn accurate. Some heavy barrels are pretty damn worthless. Main thing I would worry about is twist. 1:7 stabilizes heavier bullets well (77gr). Hopefully its 1:8 or 1:7 twist.

The good news, barrels on an ARs are very easy to change out, so you can replace the heavy barrel with another heavy barrel.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ruger is ok, but their QC on their guns could be better.

IMO, you would be better off with a Colt HBAR or Windham HBAR. Colt will hold value better.

FN now makes MD compliant models too.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    The only drawback I have found is that many heavy barrels are well... heavy. like lead brick heavy. Heavy + fluting = better IMHO.

A heavy barrel may or may not provide more accuracy or heat tolerance. Some thin barrels are pretty damn accurate. Some heavy barrels are pretty damn worthless. Main thing I would worry about is twist. 1:7 stabilizes heavier bullets well (77gr). Hopefully its 1:8 or 1:7 twist.

The good news, barrels on an ARs are very easy to change out, so you can replace the heavy barrel with another heavy barrel.

It's 1:8 I think. Fluting has to be done by a professional or some gunsmithing, right?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's 1:8 I think. Fluting has to be done by a professional or some gunsmithing, right?

There are plenty of aftermarket heavy fluted barrels out there. I think we have several threads on it. No need to have it made. Heavy barrel is not a well-defined concept though. Some manufacturers heavy barrels are heavier than others, I'd look around. Some manufacturers heavy barrels are actually as light as other manufacturers regular barrels. Please don't try to apply any logic to Maryland gun laws. "Heavy Barrel" literally is whatever the maker says it is, so long as they market it as an HBAR.

As mentioned above, Ruger's not the only player in the Maryland compliant game. You have to decide on what your budget is first. You can get something as low as $700 bucks, which is perfectly acceptable for home defense and shooting gongs, or you can go high-end and get a Daniel Defense which is spendy but also very nice. Cant go wrong with a Windham or FN either. Lots to choose from. Sig Sauer rifles are legal too btw.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I have the Ruger 556 (model 8511). It’s been a great entry level AR. Ruger has this one and the earlier model 8502 (same without a flash hider) that are Md compliant with HBAR and 10 round clips. The heavy barrel and clip size are about the only difference for state compliance.

Earlier this year, I too was looking and comparing rifles and come down to the following MD compliant AR15’s:

Delton (has a 1:7 twist barrel)
    S&W (slightly more $ than I wanted to spend)
    Ruger - just right (and nearly everything is milspec & yes 1:8 HBAR)

I wanted a modern featured upper (fwd assist and casing deflector), 1:8 ~16” barrel, a flash hider, iron sights, DI action, readily available & non-proprietary clips and parts.

Even though the OEM furniture is fine, I have since upgraded all the furniture to MAGPUL (stock, pistol grip, forward grip w/ heat shield), a QD attachment to the buffer tube, scope and added an ambi-handle charging rod.

Anyway it’s a great starting point for a rifle and capable platform to make it what you want. I get 1 to 1.5 MOA at 50 & 100 yards w/ 62 grain ball ammo. Accurate enough for me,YMMV. Thumbs up... Go for it!

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    There are plenty of aftermarket heavy fluted barrels out there. I think we have several threads on it. No need to have it made. Heavy barrel is not a well-defined concept though. Some manufacturers heavy barrels are heavier than others, I'd look around. Some manufacturers heavy barrels are actually as light as other manufacturers regular barrels. Please don't try to apply any logic to Maryland gun laws. "Heavy Barrel" literally is whatever the maker says it is, so long as they market it as an HBAR.

As mentioned above, Ruger's not the only player in the Maryland compliant game. You have to decide on what your budget is first. You can get something as low as $700 bucks, which is perfectly acceptable for home defense and shooting gongs, or you can go high-end and get a Daniel Defense which is spendy but also very nice. Cant go wrong with a Windham or FN either. Lots to choose from. Sig Sauer rifles are legal too btw.

Thanks, I will check them out later (many sites are blocked at work as "firearms related"). Good to know we do have some range of choices. I only wish on the manufacturers' websites it says clearly whether a model is or is not legal in certain states.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I have the Ruger 556 (model 8511). It’s been a great entry level AR. Ruger has this one and the earlier model 8502 (same without a flash hider) that are Md compliant with HBAR and 10 round clips. The heavy barrel and clip size are about the only difference for state compliance.

Earlier this year, I too was looking and comparing rifles and come down to the following MD compliant AR15’s:

Delton (has a 1:7 twist barrel)
    S&W (slightly more $ than I wanted to spend)
    Ruger - just right (and nearly everything is milspec)

I wanted a modern featured upper (fwd assist and casing deflector), 1:8 ~16” barrel, a flash hider, iron sights, DI action, readily available & non-proprietary clips and parts.

Even though the OEM furniture is fine, I have since upgraded all the furniture to MAGPUL (stock, pistol grip, forward grip w/ heat shield), a QD attachment to the buffer tube, scope and added an ambi-handle charging rod.

Anyway it’s a great starting point for a rifle and capable platform to make it what you want. Go for it!

Which model of S&W, the sport models are illegal in MD right? I was almost narrowing down to between Sport II and Ruger 556 (2 of the cheapest entry level with good reviews and hopefully good quality and support that come with big brandnames), before I learned about AR15 legality issues in MD. I'm also looking for the things you listed. May not want to upgrade much right away except for optics and maybe a quad rail, but who know lol.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Its hard for them to keep up with insane, illogical, vague, and ever changing laws. Best policy is to say nothing. Second best policy (which some manufacturers do) is simply dont sell to MD residents.

That's the point of the insane, illogical, vague, and ever changing laws. :sad20:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ruger used to use an unshrouded carrier like the older ban era AR's. They chew up firing pins.

Might want to buy a different carrier if you don't want to eat FPRP and FP's.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    If you wanted to spend "a little" more you could get a LWRC DI.

Looked it up, about the price of a 24-70 F/2.8 lens. Seriously though, is it a good idea to buy your first rifle this high end? Will someone new to guns (I barely just got my first handgun) be able to appreciate the difference it offers? I guess the expensive ones may retain their value better over time, so money-wise it may not be a bad purchase.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have the Ruger and for the money it is a great AR. I do not find it to be heavy at all and after about 300-400 rounds not one issue. Came with flip up sites and flash suppressor. I have added an open red dot sight and sling and have supplemented the 10 round mag that it came with, with some a bit more adequate as well.

If you are looking for a great deal on this rifle contact GymRatz on this forum.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Which model of S&W, the sport models are illegal in MD right? I was almost narrowing down to between Sport II and Ruger 556 (2 of the cheapest entry level with good reviews and hopefully good quality and support that come with big brandnames), before I learned about AR15 legality issues in MD. I'm also looking for the things you listed. May not want to upgrade much right away except for optics and maybe a quad rail, but who know lol.

MD state police lists the BANNED rifles here:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx?Paged=TRUE&p_Manufacturer=Sig%20Sauer&p_Status=Banned&p_ID=203&PageFirstRow=201&&View={EB794138-CE9C-4E9E-B3D2-B78C316F87DF}

if I remember; the S&W model I was looking at was M&P15"T" Fixed Stock
    SKU: 811048
    NJ and/or CA compliant rifles with 10rd capacity *AND* not specifically called out as BANNED are usually ok....check with your local FFL.

If you are in/near Southern Maryland check with Gym Ratz...highly recommended!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looked it up, about the price of a 24-70 F/2.8 lens. Seriously though, is it a good idea to buy your first rifle this high end? Will someone new to guns (I barely just got my first handgun) be able to appreciate the difference it offers? I guess the expensive ones may retain their value better over time, so money-wise it may not be a bad purchase.

I am not suggesting a high end rifle, but IMO the #1 upgrade you will appreciate is a good trigger. I have zero experience with the Ruger trigger so I can't say whether its good or bad. #2, furniture. Cheap plastic furniture on what you get will be the first to go.

The nice thing though, its its all modular. You don't need to buy a high end rifle, you can start small and change out parts. But, if you pay $700 for a rifle then $200 for a nice Geissle 2-stage trigger, then $70 for better furniture...

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the Ruger but if you can afford it why not go high end on your first AR, the LWRC DI is top shelf, has great features and won't need to be upgraded.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I have the Ruger and for the money it is a great AR. I do not find it to be heavy at all and after about 300-400 rounds not one issue. Came with flip up sites and flash suppressor. I have added an open red dot sight and sling and have supplemented the 10 round mag that it came with, with some a bit more adequate as well.

If you are looking for a great deal on this rifle contact GymRatz on this forum.

Yep I saw his long running "ins stock-sold out" post, very attractive price. He's just 60 miles away...

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    MD state police lists the BANNED rifles here:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx?Paged=TRUE&p_Manufacturer=Sig%20Sauer&p_Status=Banned&p_ID=203&PageFirstRow=201&&View={EB794138-CE9C-4E9E-B3D2-B78C316F87DF}

if I remember; the S&W model I was looking at was M&P15"T" Fixed Stock
    SKU: 811048
    NJ and/or CA compliant rifles with 10rd capacity *AND* not specifically called out as BANNED are usually ok....check with your local FFL.

If you are in on near Southern Maryland check with Gym Ratz...highly recommended!

Can't see the product page, is this heavy barrel? I thought MD really cares about barrel size, but allows for collapsible (but not folding) stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom