• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Pretty sure I would not change a thing. At this point, the value of a Colt Sporter AR made in 1992 is that it was made in 1992 and has original stuff (i.e. collectors item). Including the very scary "Law Enforcement Only." It's probably a safe queen frankly.

It you want an AR ready for a drop-in trigger and standard BCG (full auto, which isnt really)... its probably cost less to just buy a new lower and parts kits, than machining a classic. Lowers and parts kits are very inexpensive these days.

Please explain how any of the parts I listed are permanent. These AR's are being shot, thus if one wants to actually preserve something collectible, then avoiding P.M. (which my post was about) will certainly NOT preserve its value. It will allow damage that can't be reverted.

Shooting an AR with old springs and parts that literally chew the gun up from the inside are great for value. (That's sarcasm). Egging out the holes in the Lower, breaking Hammer Pins (which thankfully is harder to do with .169 Pins), breaking Bolt Lugs/Cam Pin Bores, breaking Extractors, mushrooming Buffer Pads, chewing-up/bending Firing Pins, cratering the Lower Receiver Ring (where the Receiver Extension screws in) is great eh?

If it's being shot, and the parts are left as is, the devaluation does not even account for Throat Erosion, Gas Port Erosion, or Bolt Face Erosion.

Now, if you said I would NOT shoot them and leave them in original condition, then that would have merit.

If the gun is being shot, it should be in proper working order and the changes should be done so they are not permanent.

If Combloc does not want to change the parts I listed, I take no offense. It's his guns to do what he pleases with.

When people offer bad advice that onlookers (other AR owners) may read as "sound advice", I wont sit by and keep quiet.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I do not recall specifically referring to any particular post. I was referring to suggestions here and there in this thread about machining the lower and such. Is replacing the springs a real change?
    I did say I think it's a "safe queen" which means not shooting them much.

All I said is that - going for over $1750 - most of the value is as a collectible not as a shooter.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I have a Colt 6721, and I plan on swapping out the notched hammer. It is a 6721 I bought brand new, in 2017. My question about the hammer pertains, I guess to the hardness, or what type of hammer to get. I am used to the combloc guns, and the hammer hardnesses vary, with some hammers, like the G2 reportedly being harder than the original, and deforming the tail of the carrier and peening the firing pin on some rifles. So, my question is, for a Colt 6721, what are the best brand hammers to get, and are the hardnesses all similar enough, it would prematurely wear or damage anything? Stop. Hammer time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So, I have a Colt 6721, and I plan on swapping out the notched hammer. It is a 6721 I bought brand new, in 2017. My question about the hammer pertains, I guess to the hardness, or what type of hammer to get. I am used to the combloc guns, and the hammer hardnesses vary, with some hammers, like the G2 reportedly being harder than the original, and deforming the tail of the carrier and peening the firing pin on some rifles. So, my question is, for a Colt 6721, what are the best brand hammers to get, and are the hardnesses all similar enough, it would prematurely wear or damage anything? Stop. Hammer time.

It would be rare to find a factory AR/M16 Hammer with hardness issues. The only time you will see issues is when people try to do trigger work and grind or stone through the hardened surface.

The common problem with an AR hammer is the j hook getting damaged from people removing them too much, or them not being staked in properly.

A DPMS unit is what would be work fine.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par.../hammers/ar-15-mil-spec-hammer-prod17539.aspx

If you want to keep it Colt, buy an M16 hammer and grind off the sear catch before assembly. All standard AR hammers were once M16, they just cut that off.

Sirex