• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I was talking to a guy who lives in PA( he sells us firewood every year), he told me Baltimore banned handgun possession, is this true? I have been out of the loop till this year, so I wasn't keeping track of the city all these years. This guy was also pretty upset about MD being a may-issue state. He said he once was doing some business in Baltimore and got attacked by some thugs, later asked about carry permits and got the usual " we want you to be dead in MD" type reply from the powers that be.

This guy sure got me riled up, damn I am now kinda depressed today about living in this stupid state. We also discussed how discusting Hillary is.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    He couldn't be more wrong. There is no special bans in Baltimore City.

State law prohibits certain handguns designated as "Saturday Night Specials" or "Assault Pistols."

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    MD has a few preemption laws dealing with handguns. Baltimore cannot restrict possesion in one's home of a handgun or while on their property, and they cannot further restrict the carry by permit holders as I understand it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    He couldn't be more wrong. There is no special bans in Baltimore City.

State law prohibits certain handguns designated as "Saturday Night Specials" or "Assault Pistols."
    Just to clarify :):

Law prohibits possession of un-registered "assault pistols", but there is nothing making the ownership of "Saturday night specials" illegal, just the sale, rent or transfer of "SNS" is prohibitted.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Thanks for thr replys, makes me feel much better now, guess this guy heard about the specialized bans and assumed the worst. I find PA people tend to get confused about MD- can't blame them!

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Your bud probably heard about the "gun registry":

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-md.ci.dixon02oct02,0,4974160.story
    baltimoresun.com
    Tenant, gun bills signed into law

By John Fritze

Sun reporter

October 2, 2007

Baltimore landlords will no longer be able to throw an evicted tenant's belongings onto the sidewalk, and gun offenders will be required to register their address every six months under a pair of bills signed by Mayor Sheila Dixon.

The gun-offender registry, which was modeled after a similar program in New York, requires gun offenders to register their name, aliases, address and other information within 48 hours of a gun conviction or release from jail.

Dixon introduced the bill in July, and the legislation slid through the City Council with little opposition. The law, which takes effect in three months, has become part of a broader campaign by the administration to clamp down on gun offenders, who police say are more likely to commit other crimes.

"I want to make Baltimore the toughest place in the country on gun crimes," Dixon said at a ceremonial bill signing at City Hall yesterday. "People need to understand that if they have illegal guns they're going to do time, and we're going to keep an eye on them."

Police say that about half of suspects arrested on homicide charges have prior gun convictions. The registry will allow police to identify and focus on convicts if criminal activity spikes in a particular neighborhood, said Frederick H. Bealefeld III, the city's acting police chief.

"This is real action," he said. "This isn't for the benefit of cameras or newsprint. It's going to have real results on the streets of Baltimore."

Convicted gun offenders who fail to register - or who do not update their address when they move - would face a fine up to $1,000 and a jail sentence of up to one year.

"This is the first step in holding gun offenders accountable in a different way," said City Council President Stephanie C. Rawlings-Blake. "If you commit a crime with a gun in Baltimore ... we will find you, we will punish you, and we will use you as an example."
    . . . .

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Applying the anti-******** political double-speak translator, we get:

"If you commit a crime with a gun in Baltimore ... we will find you, we will punish you, but your punishment will be light and you'll be back out on the street in no time. Therefore, we're instituting this "registry" because it will give some of the more gullible public the impression that we're actually getting tough on crime. In no way does this "registry" have any real teeth, nor can we explain how it might have any deterrent on crime. But in politics, warm fuzzy feelings of security and front-page attention-grabbing headlines are more important than producing actual results. Fortunately, nobody at the Baltimore Sun has the balls or the brains to question us on how this could possibly deter crime, as their editors are committed to ensuring that every idea from any Democrat in this city is treated like a stunning revelation from God, Himself."

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What the hell is an "Assault Pistol"?

Under MD law the definition assigned to "assault pistol" is a copy of, or one of these:

AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
    Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
    Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
    D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
    Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
    Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
    Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
    Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
    P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
    Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
    Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    UZI semi-automatic pistol;
    Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol; and
    Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

Stupid, I know.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    "This is the first step in holding gun offenders accountable in a different way," said City Council President Stephanie C. Rawlings-Blake. "If you commit a crime with a gun in Baltimore ... we will find you, we will punish you, and we will use you as an example."

Yes, it was all Sheila Dixon's idea to make crimes with guns illegal :rolleyes:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Under MD law the definition assigned to "assault pistol" is a copy of, or one of these:

AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
    Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
    Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
    D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
    Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
    Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
    Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
    Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
    P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
    Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
    Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    UZI semi-automatic pistol;
    Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol; and
    Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

Stupid, I know.

Funny though, that with the proper paperwork every one of those is legal if configured in full auto ( if available for that particular gun).......:wtf:

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Huh? Local registration is preempted by state law . . .

Maybe no-one challenged this? But not even Tripwire?

When I moved from the county to the city, I started filling out a special form for city residents (I've done it twice, now. Once for a handgun, and once for an AR). No biggy...

1) Why did you fill out this "form for city residents?"

2) Who told you that it needed filling out?

3) Where did you get the form?

4) Where did you submit the form when done?

5) What was the purpose of the form?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Maybe no-one challenged this? But not even Tripwire?

1) Why did you fill out this "form for city residents?"
    Gun shop said to. Why do we fill out ANY forms to buy a gun? If you wanty gun, you filly out forms.

2) Who told you that it needed filling out?
    Guy at said gun shop.

3) Where did you get the form?
    gun shop, with the host of other forms to fill out.

4) Where did you submit the form when done?
    to gun shop, with other forms.

5) What was the purpose of the form?
    It basically asked the same questions that the state form asks. i.e., are you a felon, are you mental, do you have any restraining orders, are you a drug user, you know, the usual stuff. Frankly, I didn't think it was any big deal. I thought it was kind of silly, considering I just answered the same questions on a different form, but still nothing to get cranked up over. They didn't ask for a fingerprint and semen sample... they just wanted to know if I was a felon. In Baltimore City, that's a legitimate question. :)

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    That was all total BS for you to go through.

As we hashed over here on the forum, sales are covered and preempted by state law. NO locality can impose their own requirements regarding background checks - or else NYC-style gun laws would have hit MoCO years ago. MoCO got away with requiring trigger locks to be provided with handgun sales, but that was under a specific "Child safety" exemption to state preemption.

If MD was organized like VA under VCDL, there would be a lawsuit in the works.

ETA:
    But it could be the shop was wrong, or CIA (covering it's ***). A MoCO shop tried to tell me that "county law" required all ammo buyers to log themselves in a log book with address and DL#. That was BS, and I never got a straight story as to where they got that idea.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

ETA:
    But it could be the shop was wrong, or CIA (covering it's ***). A MoCO shop tried to tell me that "county law" required all ammo buyers to log themselves in a log book with address and DL#. That was BS, and I never got a straight story as to where they got that idea.
    It actually IS a Mo Co law
    (c) Conditions for sale. No ammunition dealer
    may sell fixed ammunition to any other person,
    unless:
    (1) The sale is made in person;
    (2) The purchaser exhibits, at the time of sale,
    a valid registration certificate or, in the case of a
    nonresident, proof that the firearm is lawfully
    possessed in the jurisdiction where the purchaser
    resides;
    (3) The fixed ammunition to be sold is of the
    same caliber or gauge as the firearm described
    in the registration certificate, or other proof in the
    case of a nonresident; and
    (4) The purchaser signs a receipt for the
    ammunition which shall be maintained by the
    licensed dealer for a period of one (1) year from
    the date of sale.
    BUT, any dealer in Mo Co that can read that law can also read this that come right at the end of it
    [Publisher's note: This section was held to
    be invalid by the Court of Appeals in Montgomery
    County,
    Maryland, et al. v. Atlantic Gunds,
    Inc., et al., 302 Md. 540, 489 A.2d 1114 (1985),
    and interpreted in Washington Suburban Sanitary
    Commission v. Elgin, 53 Md.App. 452, 454
    A.2d 408 (1983).]
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/maryland.pdf

Chances are they just used that as an excuse to make you sign the book. More likely than not they were keeping records because Joe Curran's office requested places like some Walmarts to keep records of ammo sales and send it to the AG's office a number of years ago and they still are.
    I would point out to them that the Mo Co law is moot and the book on state laws that they get with their FFL will tell them so. If they continue to ask for ID to record info, then I would call for a boycott because they are no friend of the MD gun owner IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom