• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I think you will be surprised how ineffective a suppressor is on a .22wmr or 17hmr. You just can't get rid of that sonic "crack". My thought process was, if its going to be loud, I might as well use a larger caliber lol. Sold the 17hmr and use .223 in its place.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Thanks everyone!

Any opinions on going as light as possible? I don't like the idea of aluminum baffles, even with 22lr. But is the difference between a 5-6" long rimfire can weighing ~6oz for steel tube and one weighing in at 3-4oz with an aluminum or titanium tube going to be all THAT noticeable? Primary use is going to be on a 10/22 with a threaded 16" barrel. I may some day get a Tacsol barrel for it, but no day soon. Some day also probably a 22lr handgun. But my wife is frowning on that idea big time, so it'll be a couple of years at least.

For a 22wmr, no idea my use. Considering an A22, but might end up with some kind of bolt gun in 22wmr in a few years.

Also I've seen a comment or two on staying away from aluminum, is that recommendation more about the baffle stack? Or does that include the tube being a bad idea in aluminum?

Thanks!

I don’t think saving a couple ounces is worth the long-term durability. I don’t even know if it would be noticeable.

Buy a steel baffled can from a reputable manufacturer and enjoy it next year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think you will be surprised how ineffective a suppressor is on a .22wmr or 17hmr. You just can't get rid of that sonic "crack". My thought process was, if its going to be loud, I might as well use a larger caliber lol. Sold the 17hmr and use .223 in its place.

I figure the suppression on super sonic rimfire is going to be minimal. Hell the crack from HV 22lr is nearly as loud as the muzzle blast itself. I assume 22wmr isn’t much off from that. But quieter is still quieter, even if it’s only a few decibels. Higher powered centerfires the muzzle blast is way louder than the super sonic crack.

I want one for shooting subs at critters I don’t want around my place and for plinking at the range (or some hypothetical future house where I could maybe target shoot). But I’d like the ability to use up through 22wmr. Either for critters again and make it slightly quieter. Or if I ever got a 22wmr pistol. Where it would make it a lot quieter compared to no suppressor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Finally took a look at a couple. Rebel SOS 22. I’d have some reservations there as I’ve heard some bad rumblings. Not sure if it was a V1 or V2. V2 went with SS baffles. Didn’t feel like it weighed much, but was kind of large. Other was a Surefire (I think Mini) Ryder 22. That felt more weighty in the hand, but I think just because it was so much more compact.

I feel like the difference of a few dB on a rimfire isn’t really going to be any kind of big deal. Any of them with subs are very quiet and any supersonic ammo, the crack is louder than the suppressor gun shot itself. Thoughts on that?

I plan to look at a few more options before pulling the trigger on one.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Subsonic rimfire is amazingly quiet. The supersonic .22lr doesn't bother me if I'm outside, but it is noticeably louder. I don't own any of the hot rod rimfire cartridges so I can't speak to what they sound like. I think something in the 4-6 oz weight range is perfect as a lone do all rimfire can unless you specifically want something that's overbuilt for a machine gun or something. My Ryder 22s works great on my Ruger 22/45 and doesn't alter the balance. It even felt and worked great on the Walther 22 my buddy has. Definitely not a problem on a rifle.

If I were only ever going to purchase one .22 can I would definitely be erring on the side of longer/durable materials. Titanium or stainless steel for me. You can always do an eForm1 to build a super light aluminum can if you want something that weighs 3 ounces but might not last.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    AAC Element 2 has been ordered. Only like 300 days to go. Time to try to forget I ever ordered it so I can be pleasantly surprised around Memorial Day rather than wondering what’s happening on day number 107.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    AAC Element 2 has been ordered. Only like 300 days to go. Time to try to forget I ever ordered it so I can be pleasantly surprised around Memorial Day rather than wondering what’s happening on day number 107.
    Fantastic choice! I think you'll be very happy with it.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    That call when your stamp comes in

fbe01cf41ba70bd9c6337ec537053ee5.gif

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

Nice, I’m just a little over 2 months in on my paper work submission for my dead air mask hd

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve obviously got awhile, but planning my new 10/22 barrel and a bunch of CCIs new coated subs. Think ER Shaw sporter profile and threaded 16.5”. Probably not SS and probably not fluted. It’s for hunting more than anything and I don’t want the extra 1+lb extra of a bull barrel as well as none of my 10/22 stocks fitting a bull without modification.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I’ve obviously got awhile, but planning my new 10/22 barrel and a bunch of CCIs new coated subs. Think ER Shaw sporter profile and threaded 16.5”. Probably not SS and probably not fluted. It’s for hunting more than anything and I don’t want the extra 1+lb extra of a bull barrel as well as none of my 10/22 stocks fitting a bull without modification.

It’s a little bit of a pricey option, but the kidd ULW barrel is really nice. Put one on my “varmint 10/22” in a magpul stock. It is super accurate and works supremely well with CCI segmented HPs. Also got the kidd charging handle/ spring set at the same time. Their heavy spring helps with port pop reduction and cycles just fine with all ammo I’ve fed it.

Worth a thought, but not the cheapest option.

On the other end of the spectrum I have a stock 10/22 barrel that has been threaded by a gunsmith with the sight dovetail filled in that I would give you for free. It’s just sitting in the safe. Has a couple minor nicks in the factory bluing, but worked great for suppressed use before I did the above.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    It’s a little bit of a pricey option, but the kidd ULW barrel is really nice. Put one on my “varmint 10/22” in a magpul stock. It is super accurate and works supremely well with CCI segmented HPs. Also got the kidd charging handle/ spring set at the same time. Their heavy spring helps with port pop reduction and cycles just fine with all ammo I’ve fed it.

On the other end of the spectrum I have a stock 10/22 barrel that has been threaded by a gunsmith with the sight dovetail filled in that I would give you for free. It’s just sitting in the safe. Has a couple minor nicks in the factory bluing, but worked great for suppressed use before I did the above.

Have you done anything with the trigger? I put a bx in mine, but now am also looking at the kidd kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Have you done anything with the trigger? I put a bx in mine, but now am also looking at the kidd kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a metal trigger guard with a custom trigger in it from one of the prominent trigger guys on rim fire central.

I have a Bx in another one and I would say the BX is good but not as good.

I haven’t tried the kidd in person, but I would assume it is very good based on their other products and other’s reviews. Or have one of the rimfire central trigger guys work on one for you. Their work is also very good.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

If it’s really doing you no good you want to give away I’d be happy to give you $10 for your trouble. I don’t need it particularly soon (like 10+ months from now), but could swing over or meet up some evening or weekend soon if you want.

I’d like a nice barrel on my 10/22 eventually, but the factory one with the few minor things I have going on is shooting 1.5 MOA with the right sub loads and around 2 MOA with HV. Plenty good enough for me for now.

On the segmented, hows that working out? I love them (though the segmented minimags my 10/22 cant shoot. It’s shooting 6-8MO for some reason. I’ll try another box at some point, but I don’t need them). I was hoping to use segmented subs for varmints on my property. It makes me a little nervous with s suppressor though.

I’ll maybe give that kidd chafing handle and heavy spring a try. I’d love it as quiet as possible so long as it’ll cycle subs. I don’t mind if the quiets stop working properly.

The new semi-auto quiets cycle perfectly in my 10/22 right now and every once in a blue moon the old quiets would cycle one (about 1 in 50 rounds).

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Sure shoot me a pm, the barrel is yours. We can work it out.

I’ve shot bricks of the subsonic segmented HPs suppressed and find them accurate and effective.

I haven’t shot them for accuracy on paper, but they are squirrel head accurate within 50yds.

I’ve taken groundhogs and 1 rabid raccoon with them. The raccoon was moving a lot and I chased it into the woods to avoid killing it in the yard. I was firing on it as we ran. It took several body shots and then stopped when I put one in the skull after we got into the woods.

They aren’t as effective as HV ammo, but they are quiet and haven’t had anything run away after getting hit with one.

Not sure why the segmented HPs would make you nervous, they don’t come apart until after they impact something. They break into 4 parts; 3 smaller parts off the HP, and then the larger base of the bullet. That has been my experience anyway when finding them in squirrels, which I do make stew with.

Maybe more info than required, but there you go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom