• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-hogan-handgun-board-20190530-story.html

Frederic N. Smalkin, a retired chief judge of the U.S. District Court of Maryland

Nicholas J. Paros of Bel Air, a former state trooper and Natural Resources Police officer

James L. Ballard Jr. of Bel Air, a former director of law enforcement for the Pentagon.

Jacques Ramon Cowan of Crownsville, a detective with the Montgomery County Police Department

Daniel F.C. Crowley of Bethesda, an attorney at a Washington, D.C., firm who specializes in financial services policy.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Wow.

Start studded cast. A former State Trooper ought to be interesting to see, someone who's already familiar with the dog and pony show.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I’m looking at that list and my initial reaction is that not too many overturns of MSP any more. Hope I am wrong.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    I had Judge Smalkin for a class in school. Guy was a federal judge for decades. I can’t imagine he’s going to put up with much crap from the MSP

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I would be interested in hearing from the Patriots that are at most or all of the board hearings . But i am a realist that understands the introduction of the OAH makes this a moot point or even a mute point .

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oh my things could get very interesting real quick between the former MSP trooper and everyone's favorite Sgt of the LD of MSP plus not to mention the former Judge. Interesting to see how the judge and the attorney appointed to the board by Herr Frosh ah "discuses" points of law...

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Some of you guys really confuse me, you get upset the board may be done away with, then you shoot down the members....well I know one of those guys....and hes stand up all the way.....whatever.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think that this new board is a big question mark. A lot of ex-law enforcement types from geographically anti areas. MoCo and DC. This is only an observation on those areas politics. These individuals hopefully hold no biases.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think that this new board is a big question mark. A lot of ex-law enforcement types from geographically anti areas. MoCo and DC. This is only an observation on those areas politics. These individuals hopefully hold no biases.

A couple of them are from Harford County, I see that as a good sign.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    The only member that I've seen in action is Cowan, and based on observation I believe he'll side with the majority of the board, no matter which way they vote.

Sure hope this board doesn't become a rubber stamp for MSP LD. Right now, that's what it feels like. We'll see.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You won't be able to tell until they are seated and start hearings. I remember a couple of appointees with seemingly pro gun credentials that did not work out. I hope they all bring an open mind and follow the law and procedures without bias. We have come a long way from when citizens started providing over site of a citizens board that until that time had largely worked in the shadows.

I would love for one of the first people to start the observing to write up a history of the early interactions with the HPRB and MSP and the various changes of venue. That is true history and a case study in why citizen involvement is so important.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Yeah, I really didn't get the angst about the board potentially going away since the state can filter out most who succeed at the board by appealing to the OAH--an uphill effort and expense against a probably biased judge that many will not want to put themselves through.

However, this group looks interesting and the upcoming show may prove entertaining.

The article is shit and one-sided (what a surprise). The writer mentions that applicants will go before the OAH if the board goes away and does not mention that it's already in the loop.

Also, when does this new board start meeting? The June 4 date? Also, any word on who is the chair?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    OK, here's a thought I haven't seen yet. The Chief Judge at the OAH is the one who hires all the "office-level" judges. The current HMFIC is a holdover from Zero'Malley (appointed by Guv w/Senate approval) and as far as I can tell his term expires 1 Jan 2020. It's probably giving Hogan too much credit to think this might have been a consideration in the veto but it is an interesting thought none the less.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    No dog in this fight but it seems strange that most of these appointees are/were probably collecting checks from .gov. I thought this was to be a civilian review board?
    I am usually wrong so let this post fade away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom