• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm pretty sure doing the purchasing while you're in Maryland is prohibited. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I'm glad to be corrected. The way the law reads is:

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

B. This section does not apply to:

(1) A .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

(2) A law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a law enforcement agency in the State; or

(3) An exemption listed in Regulation .02D of this chapter.

... which seems to clearly ban the act of buying the magazine no matter where it, the seller, and the eventual transfer are located.

Yep, I agree with you. I do the mail order thing when I am visiting my in-laws in Florida. The first day we are in Florida, I sit down at the laptop and place the order. I pay for 2 day shipping. Usually they are there way before we leave to come home.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My office is in VA, I can order from there.

Or, for the paranoid, without an outside the state location, VPN.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Some sellers will remove the mags and ship to another address.

Some will not.

I know they used to do that but a couple FFLs have told me that they are not supposed to do that anymore. At least one said something defiant. But I don't think the State Police are exactly thrilled with this. Still I am just one guy who talked to three people and not a dealer.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I know they used to do that but a couple FFLs have told me that they are not supposed to do that anymore. At least one said something defiant. But I don't think the State Police are exactly thrilled with this. Still I am just one guy who talked to three people and not a dealer.

I have heard that as well. I think a couple IP's stated they would not ship mags out of state anymore for a MD resident. It definitely was the MSP thing...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

An MD FFL may not sell a firearm and ship the magazines to some out of state address. MSP put out a letter about this.

There is NO WAY for MSP to stop an out of state FFL from shipping the mags anywhere they want. And no way for them to know about it if they did

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I know this thread specifically relates to internet purchases, but there is also an option to purchase a handgun out of state at a FFL, take delivery of the mags out of state and have the hand gun, less mags, shipped to a MD FFL to compete the transaction.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    My office is in VA, I can order from there.

Or, for the paranoid, without an outside the state location, VPN.

or stop by an out of state starbucks to place the order.

I'm not sure there is a way to identify where the transaction occurred unless it was a B&M store.

When the mag limit had passed, and before it went into affect, I had a relative that ordered a standard capacity mag online. Was taking forever to receive, and I contacted them 2 questions:

Q1. If the shipment is in transit when the law takes affect, can I still receive the shipment?

A1. If the shipment is in transit the order will be cancelled, the package ordered returned to the shipper and a full refund issued.

Q2. What determines the location from which an online order was placed?
    A2. In order to be compliant, both the ship to address and the billing address of the credit card must be in a state where the product is legal.

webturtle

May 21, 2010
    Baltimore,md
    Buy the gun with high capacity magazine. Have your FFL block it out to 10 rounds. Now your legal . I have done this 3 times on Gunbroker . Just contact selling to make sure they will send magazine .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom