• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dino7813

Oct 26, 2015
    I was thinking about grabbing a Sig 553, but I wanted 7.62x39 which is not listed as a caliber on the roster. So does that mean I’m stuck getting 5.56 if I want one?

This is what is on the roster:

Model: SG 553 Pistol
    Model Number: P-553-9B-C-R
    Caliber: 5.56 NATO

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I was thinking about grabbing a Sig 553, but I wanted 7.62x39 which is not listed as a caliber on the roster. So does that mean I’m stuck getting 5.56 if I want one?

This is what is on the roster:

Model: SG 553 Pistol
    Model Number: P-553-9B-C-R
    Caliber: 5.56 NATO

No leeway unless you want to have your FFL submit the other model/caliber to the MD Roster for consideration.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Its not banned, It simply means someone needs to submit it for approval. Call them and ask (number on the webpage) and ask whether they would need a sample, otherwise fill out the form and wait until about 8 weeks after the next roster meeting.

dino7813

Oct 26, 2015
    Thank you, that’s very helpful. I noticed in one of the minutes from last year that a new caliber was requested for a gun on the roster, and from the context it doesn’t look like a sample was submitted, and the new caliber was approved...maybe it’s not such a difficult hurdle to get a new caliber added.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    If the new caliber is smaller then the already listed caliber you can just fill out the form for a caliber addition. If larger you will need to send the gun.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    lol.

In case the OP is confused, just call the roster board (410) 653-4253 and ask (https://mdsp.maryland.gov/organizat...onbureau/licensingdivision/handgunroster.aspx). Seems unlikely you will need a sample, but who knows.

Two things are well known: dont ask for advice on the internet, esp on Apr 1, and the MSP licensing division has no sense of humor.

And just in case you think I am April foolzing. When I was filling out forms for the last roster update. I was able to add smaller calibers, but for larger calibers I had to remove them from my forms or submit the firearm.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    And just in case you think I am April foolzing. When I was filling out forms for the last roster update. I was able to add smaller calibers, but for larger calibers I had to remove them from my forms or submit the firearm.

yeah, but those were .40 cal. There are special rules for 40cal in this state to keep gangstas safe.

dino7813

Oct 26, 2015
    Its not banned, It simply means someone needs to submit it for approval. Call them and ask (number on the webpage) and ask whether they would need a sample, otherwise fill out the form and wait until about 8 weeks after the next roster meeting.
    I called. No sample required for a handgun already on the roster.

dino7813

Oct 26, 2015
    If the new caliber is smaller then the already listed caliber you can just fill out the form for a caliber addition. If larger you will need to send the gun.
    I just spoke to Mark Urbanik at the Roster Board, he said all I need to do is send the petition, no sample needed. Maybe something has changed as far as smaller to larger caliber.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I just spoke to Mark Urbanik at the Roster Board, he said all I need to do is send the petition, no sample needed. Maybe something has changed as far as smaller to larger caliber.

I suspect it was April Fools joke.

What can I tell you guys. That's what I was told when I was there. I had to remove 45ACP from a model update since it was only listed as 9mm. The reasoning was that 45 was a larger caliber.

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Great info!! Think I might make a little submission myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads